Windows 10 (IoT) on Raspberry Pi 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 (IoT) on Raspberry Pi 2

Now that you can run a free Windows 10 on a Raspberry Pi 2, I wonder if that means we can use it to run HS3 on a Pi2?

https://dev.windows.com/en-US/iot

The reason I ask is I'm not sure what the limitations are of Windows 10 IoT (which is supposed to be free) versus regular Windows 10 (which obviously won't be free).

I've been satisfied running HS3 under Linux, except not all HS3 plug-ins (like the HS3 arduino plug-in) are on Linux.

Free upgrade windows 7.x and 8.x to windows 10

Everyone who is running windows 7.x and 8.x are going to be eligible to get a free upgrade to window 10. This may be what you want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Heinrich View Post
      Everyone who is running windows 7.x and 8.x are going to be eligible to get a free upgrade to window 10. This may be what you want to do.

I think he's talking about running it on super low power systems like the RPI which (so is said) is free. So the upgrade matters little in this particular instance.

My guess would be that there will still be differences between the regular version of W10 and the RPI version (obviously) so you won't be able to install all of the plugins. W10 is supposed to run on phones too and it seems nothing less than intuitive that regular HS3 won't be running on a Nokia phone any time soon.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Other than the name, I suspect Windows 10 IoT bears little resemblance to Windows 10 on the PC: The Microsoft youtube videos I've seen make it seem like nothing more than an IDE. If there's more to it than that, Microsoft didn't show it on their youtubes.

Comment

Just saw today that the public release of Win 10 IoT Core has happened...

Comment

nice read, thanks!
            Tom
            baby steps...starting again with HS3
            HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
            HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
            Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
            In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
            System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Has anyone tried HS3 on Win10 IoT on Pi2 yet?

I have a stable HS3 setup on Windows Server. I looked at the HS-Pi, but it can't run Mr Happy's CC plugin and I can't just copy my entire database over.

Comment

Interesting topic. Since my MacMini with win10 running on parallels seems to get problems. It would be interesting porting over to a Pi running Windows 10 IoT ? Anyone having experience with it?

W.

Comment

Personally here for a base HS3 system running in Linux on the RPi2 the device does well. You can push it easy enough with a larger automation configuration. I have done this. You are essentially running Mono to get the MS pieces to run it. Not knocking the RPi2 here as I have the HS3 Zee-2 and CumulusMX running fine these days in Wheezy with Mono. Mono is all the Microsoft I want to run on the Wheezy OS right now.

That said you can now purchase an Intel based micropc for just a little bit more money that uses a quad core Intel Atom Baytrail CPU and comes with 2GB of internal memory, bluetooth, wireless, network port et al that will run circles around the RPI2 running Windows 10 tweaking it a bit making it a single purpose machine.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                  X