NVR Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Club Chapin View Post
    I feel like Dahua may be the next one to try, based on responses here and on cam talk.

What is the best source for Dahua nvr and cams?

I bought the NVR off Amazon, I have the 8 channel with 2 to spare but soon to be filled. So maybe look at the 16 channel.

The cams were all from eBay. Word of caution, make sure you get the English firmware and not the Chinese. Makes setup a lot easier if you can read the screens .

Dahua uses the same firmware that the majority of the cam players out there use. You will notice in your research that the GUI and software looks identical across the brands.

It's been a solid setup for me and with 6 cams set to max settings, I get about 2 weeks on my 4 TB setup before if FIFOs. If I had to do it over, I would just get the 16 channel NVR. It self maintains (drive Maint and reboots), and I just forget about it until I need it.

Comment

QNAP VS4112-Pro+

Originally posted by Monk View Post
      Got one of these & installed 4 4TB drives. Haven't looked back - it just works.
      A mix of brands for the cameras to include Vivotek, Dlink 7010L & Dahua's eight total. Currently at 133 days of recordings but this is dependent on your chosen settings.
      Update - one year later -
      This thing continues working without a hitch, the best purchase I ever made.
      I've added a few more cameras and replaced some of the older ones. 12 cameras are supported - I've got one slot left to play with. Currently at 106 days worth of recordings with my 11 camera config.

Comment

Looks like the Dahua dedicated

Dahua NVR NVR2108HS-8P-S2 6MP 8Channel Network Video Recorder H.264+ USB Ports ONVIF 8 Ports PoE

Wins.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_69782.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1197410

Here continue to utilize Zoneminder in a DIY'd box.

I did purchase a Grandstream first gen NVR a while ago. May some day get around to giving it a try.

They pulled the Grandstream NVR off of Amazon and noticed you can download the NVR software (for Windows) for free.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I ended up with a 16 channel 4 drive NVR, from I think the middle Dahua line.

It works well enough for me.

I'm capturing 1 x 8 mp cam and 8 x 2 mp cams onto 2 x 8TB drives.

Next up, interfacing with HS.

Comment

Subscribed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am looking at adding a few (probably about 5) cameras to my setup. It sounds like an NVR might be the easiest, least power consuming, and reasonably secure option. If I go that route, Blue Iris is not an option, correct? How do I get some minor integration with HS3? I would like to be able to have the motion detection on the cameras trigger other HS3 events, and also have video pop-up on the tablets or phones running HST.

Comment

Originally posted by TightEdge1
                I'd like to suggest you read this post to find the best one. As for me, I bought Firstrend 1080p — Camera System with Best Customer Support
                Do you have much integration with HS3?

Comment

Synology?

Comment

Originally posted by Club Chapin View Post
                    I ended up with a 16 channel 4 drive NVR, from I think the middle Dahua line.

It works well enough for me.

I'm capturing 1 x 8 mp cam and 8 x 2 mp cams onto 2 x 8TB drives.
                    Live decided to try Blue Iris. I’d like better functionality than the Dahua offers. It works and records ok, but is slow to use and klunky. Remote playback is basically unusable. Remote live viewing is ok.

Comment

Same here. Have a look at blueiris. If you buy a NVR, you're locked in to their cameras

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

Comment

Not knocking BlueIris, but not sure that I want to dedicate a powerful Windows box to do NVR functionality. I would rather have a dedicated box perform that role which doesn't take as much CPU. I have 8 x 4K cameras and would probably need quite a box to process all of the feed data.

Oh, I suppose when I think of BlueIris I have always performed re-encoding to MJPG. So, maybe it doesn't need to be that powerful if not re-encoding. I dunno… Still would rather have a dedicated box.
                        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                          Not knocking BlueIris, but not sure that I want to dedicate a powerful Windows box to do NVR functionality. I would rather have a dedicated box perform that role which doesn't take as much CPU. I have 8 x 4K cameras and would probably need quite a box to process all of the feed data.

Oh, I suppose when I think of BlueIris I have always performed re-encoding to MJPG. So, maybe it doesn't need to be that powerful if not re-encoding. I dunno… Still would rather have a dedicated box.
                          I just picked up a box that should work very well for Blue Iris. It is a Lenovo Think Centre with a 6th gen i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive and Windows Pro. It is a small form factor (SFF) and uses very little power compared to a full size machine with graphics card, big power supply, etc. I got it on ebay for $200. This may be a little unusual, but if you're patient, you should have no trouble finding one for $300 or less. Check out ipcamtalk.com. They have a good write up on the PC requirements to run Blue Iris.

Comment

I’m surprised the Dahua box had issues. I switched to a HikVision NVR about a year ago. I wrote about it here. I have enjoyed 100% uptime and record full time on quite a few 4MP cameras, have reliable remote access with decent iOS apps. I also have a very good Windows app on my desktop and notebook computers. It is not integrated with HomeSeer at all. I really didn’t see a need to. I store full motion video for all cameras for 7 days on a single 8TB drive. It will support 4 drives, but I have never needed to go back more than a day or so for review. If we plan a long vacation I may add a second drive. It draws 26 watts and provides a 4K HDMIoutput that I patched through to two of our TVs. We can switch to a view of 16 cameras with a touch of our Harmony remote.
                            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Anyone know if I can use my Exacq Vision NVR to work with Home Seer or will I just need to use the second feed from the cameras via cameras own IP addresses, I have 8 ONVIFF compliant cameras ?

Comment

Working...
                              X