DHCP or static

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DHCP or static

I have .5 reserved in my router for my znet. If the cable modem or router crash for whatever reason, the router will not come back online because something messes up the ip addresses. The problem is the z-net.

So, after the router restarts, I have to power down the z-net, then toggle the router power, finally plugging the z-net back in.

I have a Zooz power strip so from any remote location I can re-boot any of the IOT devices with an event as long as the z-net is up and running. But how do I power up the z-net remotely?

Better yet, how can I solve this dilemma? If I remove the reserved IP from the router and make it static in the z-net then something else might grab .5 in case the z-net reboots. If the z-net ends up at a different ip address then I have to search for it to access remotely. OR... since I have a z-net with HS3 on a mini PC can I just force the miniPC to a fixed address since the z-net really isn't seen, just HS3.

The screenshot shows a few of my events that work well, but at some point, I need to reset the z-net. Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by racerfern; May 1, 2017, 05:25 PM. Reason: clarification

If you reserve some of the upper ip address eg. xxx.xxx.xxx.250 to xxx.xxx.xxx.255 then the router will not assign them to anything so you could put your Znet static address in there.

Comment

For me, I leave my znet on DHCP, then the router will hand out a static IP based on the znet.
      Do you have the znet on DHCP or static?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I have the z-net on DHCP, the router (lousy POS) assigns the IP address. However, as I was typing all this I realized that for a z-net it doesn't matter what the ip address of the z-net is (does it?) what matters the ip address of the PC running HS3.

This is totally different from the zeetroller that ran both the interface and the controller and I think that's what throwing me off.

Comment

HomeSeer can find the Z-Net by name, so the IP is not important. I prefer to setup HS to look for a static IP.

You an configure your router to make the DHCP reservation pool a small group in your subnet. On mine I make DHCP xxx.xxx.xxx.200-255.

You can assign a static IP to the Z-Net that is not in the DHCP pool address range. That way nothing else will be assigned that address. My Z-Nets are all set to DHCP and the IP is assigned by DHCP reservation at xx.xxx.xxx.11, 12, and 13. When they reboot, they always come up at the assigned IP without a problem. I don't think there is any problem with the Z-Net honoring a reservation, so the problem might be in your router. My Z-Nets worked this way with a Cisco E3000, the replacement Nighthawk R7000 and now my pfSense firewall. I find DHCP reservations are much easier than setting a static IP and use reservations for every device n my house except for surveillance cameras and the camera server. This makes it very easy to manage.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

DHCP or static

So, your symptoms may be an indication of an issue on your router. At home I use DHCP address reservation to ensure my HS3 server always gets the same IP address. I also host my own local DNS server to ensure that my HS3 server's domain name resolves to the right IP address. My system works reliably.

there are some network variables that need to be enumerated. A class c subnet has some 254 addressable nodes, ex:192.168.1.0/24. In the example the subnet has a network address of 192.168.1.0.

Nodes can be addressed IPs between 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254. Each three digit number in an address is called an octet.

The subnet mask is used to break the IP address into the network address and the node address. In the example above the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0. This means that the entire last octet is used for the node address.

192.168.1.255 is the network broadcast address. Data sent to this address is meant for all nodes on the subnet.

In order to access non-local IP addresses there has to be at least 1 default gateway address if the network is meant to access the Internet. The default gateway is the address where all non-locally destined data goes for routing.

A DNS server is the other network resource that most network's need in order to resolve domain names and other records to IP addresses. I could go on and on regarding this topic but it isn't pertinent to the conversation.

DHCP services need be configured to assign an: IP address and subnet mask to a node that requests an IP address. Additionally the DHCP server needs to inform the node where the default gateway, and DNS services are located.

The other configuration that DHCP servers need is a DHCP scope. This is the range of IP addresses the the DHCP server hands out to DHCP clients. In conventional home routers the scope uses the entire subnet node range. In the case above the range would be 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254. If your goal is to move away from DHCP you could adjust the DHCP scope. Nicer home routers would allow you to adjust the scope. Something like 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.100. This would allow you to statically assign addresses between 192.168.1.101-192.168.1.254 and circumvent your DHCP services on your router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Kerat; May 1, 2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Interesting issue. In some ways it sounds reminiscent of things more-or-less fixed by virtue of the Z-Net not reconnecting after disconnect thread. Except for the router part, that is strange... perhaps you could provide further details of the symptoms that prompt you to need to reset the router a second time after resetting the znet? Also, what znet version/firmware revision do you have? Is it connected wireless or wired?

It is my belief is that depending on the sequence that the znet firmware updates are applied, its possible to end up with latest "version" without getting the fixes that resulted over the course of the above mentioned thread. If interested, you could try these steps to investigate this. You do need to be able to ssh in for this.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments, replies and suggestions. I think the root of the problem is the router. I agree that assigning a static address in the 200s would likely eliminate any possibility of being stepped on. So I decided to use 205.

That's where everything fell apart. Somehow, the router decided that I should have picked 172 and put the z-net there. To make matters worse, it took the minipc that I didn't touch from .2 and moved it to .170. I'm not even going to try and figure it out, I'm just going to go buy my own router as opposed to the one the cable company recently gave me. That said, I am open to replacement router recommendations.

The z-net is wired as is the mini PC and they both go directly to the back of the router. Everything else that is wired goes through a switcher so I can shut off all with one flip of a switch.

But to address the issue at hand, I now have a z-net that will no initialize. I have an exclamation mark and I have the following message, over and over.

May-02 06:48:27 Z-Wave 3187 Z-Net: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.5, connected to interface ok.
                May-02 06:48:21 Z-Wave Warning Trying to re-connect to Ethernet interface at IP 192.168.1.5...
                May-02 06:48:20 Z-Wave Error 3187 Z-Net: The 3187 Z-Net interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2).
                May-02 06:48:16 Z-Wave 3187 Z-Net: Getting node information from controller...
                May-02 06:48:16 Z-Wave 3187 Z-Net: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.5, connected to interface ok.

I did a backup a day before everything went sideways, but I can't seem to even get to a place where I can restore anything. Should I remove the networks that are empty and do a factory reset, then try to restore.

Anything but have to exclude and include almost two dozen modules.

Comment

What IP address is your znet on now? You said you were moving it, but the message says its trying to connect at 192.168.1.5.
                  To change it, you'll need to disable the interface (click on the exclamation point icon).
                  If the znet is really on the .5 address, if you cycle power does it continue giving the "... did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node ... " message? This is indicative that the zwave controller isn't answering, but the " connected to interface ok " message says that it was at least able to connect to an open port.

See attachment - Interface model should be "HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet" or "Ethernet Interface". If "Ethernet Interface", port number should be 2001.
                  Attached Files

Comment

@zwolfpack

I can't get it to go back to .5 but I was able to get it to .172 and the PC with HS3 is .179. I did a factory reset of the router and these two addresses are now set in the router. Everything else is DHCP for now.

Here's a screenshot which shows the proper IP. However, I cannot get the Exclamation to go green check.

Should I try a reset z-wave data or Factory Reset on the z-wave plugin info page? Something else? Delete the interface and try creating a new one?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by racerfern; May 2, 2017, 03:42 PM. Reason: one more screenshot

Comment

Are you still seeing these messages in the HS log? (with the new address of course)

May-02 06:48:20 Z-Wave Error 3187 Z-Net: The 3187 Z-Net interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2).
                      May-02 06:48:16 Z-Wave 3187 Z-Net: Getting node information from controller...
                      May-02 06:48:16 Z-Wave 3187 Z-Net: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.5, connected to interface ok.

If so, it it troubling because it implies a problem internal to the znet. If this the case, I'd recommend hooking up an HDMI monitor and viewing the power up sequence.

Comment

This is ongoing. I'll connect an HDMI and reboot the z-net

May-02 17:16:19
                        Z-Wave3187-Z-Net: Getting node information from controller...
                        May-02 17:16:19
                        Z-Wave3187-Z-Net: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.172, connected to interface ok.
                        May-02 17:16:17
                        May-02 17:16:16Z-Wave3187-Z-Net: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.172, connected to interface ok.
                        May-02 17:16:16Z-Wave WarningTrying to re-connect to Ethernet interface at IP 192.168.1.172...
                        May-02 17:16:15
                        Z-Wave Error3187-Z-Net: The 3187-Z-Net interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2).
                        May-02 17:16:14
                        Z-Wave WarningTrying to re-connect to Ethernet interface at IP 192.168.1.172...
                        May-02 17:16:13
                        May-02 17:16:13Z-Wave3187-Z-Net: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.172, connected to interface ok.
                        May-02 17:16:12Z-Wave Error3187-Z-Net: The 3187-Z-Net interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunct

Comment

Everything looks okay then it says enter r within 10 seconds to reset the network settings

error 2 unable to open / Dev / input / event 0 no such file or directory
                          network settings not changed and it says my wired IP address is 192 168.1.172
                          UZB connected

I can add a keyboard and reset the network settings if that's necessary or advise.
                          Last edited by racerfern; May 2, 2017, 04:28 PM. Reason: Add

Comment

The message
                            error 2 unable to open / Dev / input / event 0 no such file or directory
                            is OK and expected; it just means no keyboard connected.

UZB connected

This surprises me a bit; this means its trying to connect to an external zwave.me USB device, not the internal GPIO card -- I thought all the USA devices were the internal card - can you confirm...?

Comment

I have no other zwave controllers. I do have an Aeotec stick but I've never included it to the z-net.

Comment

Working...
                              X