Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you recommend a TED5000 to anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you recommend a TED5000 to anyone?

I am thinking of getting myself a TED5000 and I would like to hear from anyone that has one. Would you recommend it to anyone?

I have heard that it can be a royal pain to get working (power line noise, missing data, etc)

Please give your thoughts
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

I have two of the older models (not the "new" PRO), and I wouldn't purchase them again for the issues you state assuming there's something equal/better. Their "new" Pro may have resolved some of the issues.

Since they are powerline based, you do need to find a location to plug in the gateway where it will work, and/or filter any devices that are keeping it from working. Since it's the gateway, it also needs E-net access at that location as well, so that can be problematic sometimes.

I also find the Gateway ARP's itself to death at times (becomes very slow to respond) and needs to be rebooted.

BTW, thanks for putting together the TED plugin.. Shouldn't be too long before you have controlling interest in HST, or at least a seat on their Board

Z

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
      I am thinking of getting myself a TED5000 and I would like to hear from anyone that has one. . .
      Ok, I'll ask what everyone else is thinking. How do you write and test a plugin when you don't have the device? !
      Regards,
      Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

Comment

LOL good question.
        I code it based off the XML format and Automated was kind enough to allow me access to his TED500 for testing. Surprisingly the plugin worked the first time I tested it with his TED5000. Sometimes I shock myself
        Cheers,
        Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
          I am thinking of getting myself a TED5000 and I would like to hear from anyone that has one. Would you recommend it to anyone?

I have heard that it can be a royal pain to get working (power line noise, missing data, etc)

Please give your thoughts
          I had a TED5000 with 4 MTUs and I was quite happy with it. The TED was accurate, but it was a bit of a pain to get the readings reliable. Any UPS, switch mode power supply or other noise generating device on the same line as the MTU was hooked to made communication with the Gateway very unreliable. I ended up having to find a circuit that had nothing on it except for the gateway and MTU and still had to install a filter to block noise from other devices in the house.

I opted to switch to a Brultech GEM for more reliable communication and more granularity in the circuit readings. The Brultech has been stone reliable. Between the two, the GEM is *slightly* more accurate and *slightly* less responsive.

Below is a screenshot from UltraJones' plugin for the GEM. That 459 watt reading is due to the computer I am working at today a hot rod with a pair of 30" displays. Kinda sobering to realize how much energy it uses.
          Attached Files
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I currently own a Brultech ECM-1240 monitor and it works fine. I really like the history aspect of the TED5000.
            Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

I've had a TED 5000 with 4 MTUs running since Jan 2010. Most difficult part was getting the communications to be reliable. I have two main panels and ended up running a wire for the communications from the remote panel to the other panel circuit that works well. It has been running consistently since I got it configured correctly.

When initially installed it, I did a bunch of work to figure out where the power was being consumed and used "its electric" utility to look at the loads (it grabs the data from TED api). I found it easier to use than Footprint graphs. I know where the big loads are now and have just focused on moving them to a lower cost Time-of-Use rate where ever possible. All of the frequently used lighting is now LED. Other new devices I check out with a Kill-A-Watt to see where they really fall in energy usage. I've looked at the Green Eye to get more granular data, but I can't see that I'd really do anything with the extra granularity.

I have found the TED API really straightforward and grab data daily from it via HS scripts.

Recently my Power company offered an pilot program for a Zigbee enabled meter which transmits power data in real time. I'm using a Rainforest Automation RAVEn device to gather this data via a HS script so it eliminates some of the need for the TED and matches billing data perfectly.

So what I am left with today for TED is monitoring Solar generation & monitoring consumption of electric car recharge circuit.

Bottom line is that once installed it has been reliable & gathered the data I was looking for -- I got my value out of the investment.

Comment

Originally posted by RBergquist View Post
                I've had a TED 5000 with 4 MTUs running since Jan 2010. Most difficult part was getting the communications to be reliable. I have two main panels and ended up running a wire for the communications from the remote panel to the other panel circuit that works well. It has been running consistently since I got it configured correctly.
                I have the old TED 1000, which seems to work but I do have communications issues. Right now, I have one MTU working, but I am getting nothing from the second. I have to main panels (sitting next to each other). Anyone know how I might get information from both units reliable? Should I switch to "New" TED Pro Home (and does that work with HomeSeer)?

Comment

I just installed the TED5000 two days ago, so far it been rock solid. I did had to put a plugin filter where the GW lived because it was in the HS closet. I am monitoring solar and utility demand.

Can't say for sure how accurate it is until my bill comes in. Bob, what feature will your plugin have? Any devices?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                  Hector
                  MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                  AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Working...
                  X