X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Keypads

Hello Insteon sub forum,

I just wanted to ask you guys a quick question:

Do these insteon keypads offer the ability to trigger HS3 events?

Thanks! Have a great day.

short answer Yes.

Long answer, any insteon controller can trigger an hs3 event using the 'insteon special triggers'
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I bought one of these mini remotes and it gets used often. It sits on a bedside table on my wife's side. She uses it to turn her reading spotlight on/off/dim. She can turn the master bedroom overhead cans (6 of them) on/off/dim. She also has one button to turn off all lights in the house.

When I focused on getting her a tool that she likes (and saves her effort), she is more understanding of this home automation thing.

BTW, I am real happy with insteon devices and the plugin. Some of my devices are nearing 10 years old. The only failure I have had was with a motion sensor that was installed outside (no moisture, under porch). It worked for about 5 years and then began operating sporadically. I factory reset several times but I think it just gave up the ghost.

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
        short answer Yes.

Long answer, any insteon controller can trigger an hs3 event using the 'insteon special triggers'
        So let's say I have a 6 button Insteon keypad, would I be able to trigger a different event for each button?

Comment

Yes. Except for the off key
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

On the mini remote, when I added it via the plug in, I got 8 new devices (1 for each button). They are either on or off and can toggle. I test them in events just like any other device.

Comment

Excellent.

Thank you so much mnsandler and logbuilder (:

Comment

Originally posted by dchramcow View Post
                Excellent.

Thank you so much mnsandler and logbuilder (:
                Remember that you can always control a scene from a keypad button also. So I have some events (still debugging) that sometimes don't fire, and have a button on a keypad to switch OFF my outside lights. This uses a group that is easily set up with Mark's Insteon plugin (not the free one that comes with HS3) so you don't have to walk around and press many set buttons!

Just my additional $0.02....

And for another $0.02.... In the FWIW category...

The six and eight button keypads are in fact interchangeable. The front panel unscrews and you can switch between 6 and 8 buttons, and then change a setting so that the LEDs appears correctly. One strangeness I have found is that the button illumination doesn't come on unless you also enable the backlight.

Enjoy!

A

Comment

Sorry for the bump guys, but I do have another question regarding this issue:

To make this work (trigger homeseer events with insteon keypads) do I need some sort of gateway or interface from Insteon? or just the Keypad and the Insteon and Z-Wave plugins?

Comment

Sorry for the bump guys, but I do have another question regarding this issue:

To make this work (trigger homeseer events with insteon keypads) do I need some sort of gateway or interface from Insteon? or just the Keypad and the Insteon and Z-Wave plugins?
                    you need an insteon interface like the PLM (2413 series) , or the Hub II (2245)
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

you need an insteon interface like the PLM (2413 series) , or the Hub II (2245)
                      So even if these Insteon keypads are Z-Wave compliant, I would still need an Insteon Interface?

Comment

So even if these Insteon keypads are Z-Wave compliant, I would still need an Insteon Interface?
                        Curious to see where you read that "Insteon keypads are Z-Wave compliant"?

Comment

I would like to hear about these too. Do you have a link to the product?

Comment

guys, the original post references standard insteon devices. we all know they aren't z-wave compatible.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

guys, the original post references standard insteon devices. we all know they aren't z-wave compatible.
                              You're no fun...

Comment

Working...
                              X