Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is plugged directly into the outlet and the cable is the standard 4ish foot one that comes with the PLM. I swapped out the cable as well when I got the new device just to be sure. I tried running an extension cord (cord only, no surge protector) to a couple different outlets in the house to see if that help. Still no dice.

Comment

what about powering the hometroller on a different outlet on different circuit?

do you have a filterlinc or x10 filter you can add to the surge protector
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I do not have a filterlinc. I tried moving both the PLM and Hometroller to a different outlet on a different circuit and got the same results.

As a test I got out the Insteon Pro Hub I had laying around. I've got it plugged into the same outlet that the PLM was originally hooked up to. So far I have had no issues contacting devices, but it has only been a few minutes.

I'm starting to wonder if there's just something wrong with my Hometroller?

Comment

A thought (probably low probability but I'll mention it anyway) is that the +5VDC VCCUSB supply out of the Hometroller is sagging. Measuring this with a multimeter at the USB connector can be somewhat of a challenge -- a way to rule this out would be to put a powered USB hub in line...

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
            ...Measuring this with a multimeter at the USB connector can be somewhat of a challenge ...
            There is an easy way...
            https://www.amazon.com/Eversame-Mult...er+meter&psc=1

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I've tried all the USB ports on the Hometroller. Would a power dip affect all simultaneously?

Comment

Have you tried to test the actual power adapter to the hometroller. They can go bad causing a lower voltage or noise to the unit they are powering. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  Hmm, interesting. I've tried all the USB ports on the Hometroller. Would a power dip affect all simultaneously?
                  I actually think that this is very unlikely to be your problem. However, yes all the USB ports share the same power supply, so if the supply is low, all ports will be low too.

Comment

Ok, here's an update for anyone interested.

I did not have a voltage test handy and I didn't feel like ordering one from Amazon. I did, however, have a previous Hometroller and the power supply from that one laying around. My last Hometroller simply stopped powering on. I believe the issue was in the Hometroller, not the power supply. I swapped power supplies and things seem to be working properly. I was able to complete the device migration to the new PLM without any errors of not being able to find devices. I'm no longer seeing any of these errors in the logs either. The PLM no longer mysteriously stops communicating on the port. It's been working for a few hours now, so fingers crossed this fixed it.

You can see the thread here where my last Hometroller crapped out. I guess it was older than I thought because it was out of warranty when I contacted support. I bought a brand new one after posting that thread. That means the power supply on my new one is only about 4 months old. Anyone else have issues with hardware quality or am I just unlucky? These units aren't cheap, so I'd expect they were quite dependable and solidly built.

Comment

Working...
                    X