2 micro switches in light fixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 micro switches in light fixture

I have installed to micro switches in a ceiling fan light fixture.

1 is connected to the switches and the light itself

the other one is connected only to the fan.

when i command the fan on, the lights come on, i can turn the lights off with another command.

they do share a neutral(fan/lights only have 1 neutral wired up, i connected both 'load side' neutrals from the switch together with the 1 single from the fixture), do i need to completely take apart the fixture, and run a separate neutral? so i have 1 for the lights, and one for the fan?

or is there some other issue at work here? (bad module?)

Light and fan are two independent circuits and they can and do (just like all other lights/outlets on the same breaker) share neutral.

It is not clear how you wired two mini switches especially if you are keeping your wall switches. You would actually need extra wires to get this right if you are using wall switches as external switch to micro switch.

Also for fan there is special switch from Leviton (only one I found)

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Levi...l-P608C86.aspx

I am not sure if mini-switch can control fan - maybe yes but of course you will get only one speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Person View Post
      Light and fan are two independent circuits and they can and do (just like all other lights/outlets on the same breaker) share neutral.

It is not clear how you wired two mini switches especially if you are keeping your wall switches. You would actually need extra wires to get this right if you are using wall switches as external switch to micro switch.

Also for fan there is special switch from Leviton (only one I found)

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Levi...l-P608C86.aspx

I am not sure if mini-switch can control fan - maybe yes but of course you will get only one speed.

i'm only interested in on/off controls on the fan, these are the basic Aeon micro-switch

attached is a crappy drawing of how i have them wired up. ( again bare in mind there is only a single neutral going to the fixture.

my thought with the issue was it might have something to do with that, as i dont know if the neutral is 'passed thru' on this model switch, or if it is monitored)

its not a smart switch(wattage reporting) so i'm guessing its a pass thru

i could just have a DOA module.

NOTE:

i drew it wrong, the drawing i show the load on the inside, its actually on the outside ( was doing this from memroy, at work now)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by fischb22; March 1, 2014, 01:23 AM. Reason: drawing in accurate

Comment

it looks to me like you have a hot wire comming to the contact closure connection on the micro switch as I believe those just make a connection to trigger the microswitch and not to have power applied.
        HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

If you have an insteon stuff they make a fanlinc that is specifically made for this application I am in the process of adding them now to my setup.

Cheers Ken
          HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

Originally posted by kenrad View Post
            it looks to me like you have a hot wire comming to the contact closure connection on the micro switch as I believe those just make a connection to trigger the microswitch and not to have power applied.
            The lower picture is out if the book, it is a hot wire.

It works fine

Comment

Based on your wiring things should work ... but if switching fan controls light maybe you routed hot that goes to contact closure thru fan switch? Any change in hot output triggers light switch - that can be changed by your 3/4 way switch and maybe by fan switch if there is miswiring?

Comment

Originally posted by Person View Post
                Based on your wiring things should work ... but if switching fan controls light maybe you routed hot that goes to contact closure thru fan switch? Any change in hot output triggers light switch - that can be changed by your 3/4 way switch and maybe by fan switch if there is miswiring?
                nope. double checked all wiring....

i'll be taking it apart this week and try a few things, i might even break out the megger and double check some other things

Comment

Working...
                X