No announcement yet.

HS3 - Zigbee Plug-In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see that GE is now selling a $15 bulb for the Wink. Does this mean they are more confident in zigbee than z-wave?

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
      I see that GE is now selling a $15 bulb for the Wink. Does this mean they are more confident in zigbee than z-wave?

Steve Q

They've been selling it for 15-19 for a couple of years now. While Z-wave is a better product most of them have been selling zigbee for a while

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Here have been testing the OmniPro 2 ZIM (Zigbee) controller with the HS3 HAI plugin. I can control the zigbee lamp modules / appliance modules fine via Homeseer 3 HAI created plugin variables.

The OmniPro panel today is using XTB (TW-523 emulator), UPB, Z-Wave (VRC0P) and an HAI ZIM (Zigbee conroller).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Here have been testing the OmniPro 2 ZIM (Zigbee) controller with the HS3 HAI plugin. I can control the zigbee lamp modules / appliance modules fine via Homeseer 3 HAI created plugin variables.

The OmniPro panel today is using XTB (TW-523 emulator), UPB, Z-Wave (VRC0P) and an HAI ZIM (Zigbee conroller).

Thanks Pete, I'm not an OmniPro user, but I would like to investigate the possibility of using some zigbee devices with HS3. It looks like the Amazon Echo is supporting more and more home automation devices. I like my z-wave stuff but it is too expensive to implement throughout the house. But, if I can get LED bulbs with built in wifi or zigbee for $15 each, I will add a lot more lighting automation via HS3.

Steve Q

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post

Steve Q

That's been out for a few years now. The low price probably means they made a lot more than they could sell at a higher price and they're dumping them.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Mark,

You really think that would be the reason. . .? Seems that most Zigbee devices are cheaper. . .

Comment

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
                Mark,

You really think that would be the reason. . .? Seems that most Zigbee devices are cheaper. . .
                That would be my guess. At $15 retail, there's not a lot of margin in there for the manufacturer, distributor and retailer to share!
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

With the arrival of Zigbee equipped bulbs from Ikea, this seems very relevant again.

How is the Zigbee-support comming along in HomeSeer?
                  HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                  Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                  on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                  WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

There appears to be a philosophical block in the delivery of the zigbee support. Understanding that there are challenges with the support as zigbee appears to be a loose set of standards, this should not be reason enough to delay delivery.

Clearly numerous other HA hubs have embraced zigbee - and it appears to be working. I installed a Wink just to talk to zigbee. I use IFTTT to communicate with homeseer. It is one-way and generally reliable. I haven't expanded it because it doesn't meet my minimum standards of reliability.

I, and I assume a lot of other folks, would be willing to put up with the challenges associated with zigbee. I would do this for two reasons 1) cost - zwave is very expensive. 2) flexibility - there are still no options to do certain things with zwave (e.g. Underfloor heating with thermostat sensor control).

So are we dealing with a legitimate technical challenge here that is unique to homeseer vs. other controllers or a philosophical issue over supporting this standard?

Comment

Cree's new LED Connected line of bulbs use Zigbee.

http://creebulb.com/connected-60-wat...ent-soft-white

Comment

I'll add a request for ZigBee support as well.

I was checking to see what HomeSeer plugins would work with the rapidly increasing line of smart RGB/RGBW bulbs at Home Depot. Seems silly to buy a Lutron hub and using an RA2 plugin if we could just do Zigbee direct and talk to the bulb straight through.

== John ==

Comment

+1

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                            That's been out for a few years now. The low price probably means they made a lot more than they could sell at a higher price and they're dumping them.
                            I'm the one who started this thread (I think) and I never intended it to become an argument. I moved to Homeseer from Vera and I'm never going back. I like Homeseer a lot, and that's why I'm vocal; I want Homeseer to keep up with the technology so I don't have to change anytime soon (or ever hopefully). I am not saying don't continue to support Z-Wave, or not to enhance support; I'm only asking for ZigBee support in addition to Z-Wave. Just because some function is available on Z-Wave shouldn't preclude me from using a better solution just because it's on ZigBee. I look at motorized shades and blinds, for example. They are a technology I very much want to add to my home. But all the brands of shades and blinds that my wife would consider buying are ZigBee, not Z-Wave. Yes, there are Z-Wave solutions, but I (and more importantly, my wife) do not like them.

As far as the Philips bulbs go, I have to strongly disagree with you, Mark. I was working with a customer on a moderate size project, approximately 100,000 to 200,000 units per year, and they wanted ZigBee and a microprocessor. One of the semiconductor companies I represent offered a powerful micro with the ZigBee radio onboard for under $1. Yes, under a buck. A $15 dollar retail light bulb is not out of the question if the controller and radio are well under a dollar.

Comment

+1 for requesting some sort of Zigbee support.

Lots of bigbox stores are selling many more ZigBee devices than Z-Wave and Zigbee devices are definitely cheaper.

Even if it was limited support (and clearly documented so) for just a subset of common devices I'd be happy.

Comment

No offense to anyone, but if I can redirect this thread? The goal was to discuss how we can get zigbee working in Homeseer using third party hubs, etc. The discussion of a native zigbee plugin has played out in other threads and seems to have hit a brick wall. I can (in part) understand the reluctance for native zigbee - ranging from support issues as it is not a well defined standard to the fact that homeseer sells its own branded zwave devices.

But the goal here is to discuss how to get zigbee support working in homeseer through some third party platform. I am using wink currently - very limited capabilities and largely dependent on IFTTT.

Smart things and raspberry PI with zigbee have all been mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                                X