Need thermostat recommendation pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to replace our thermostat with a zwave one, but I read about nothing but problems

What thermostat just works?

Don't want to have to special software, it should work with the native zwave software.

Something must work and be stable.

Is there a reason it has to be zwave enabled, or are you just looking for a t-stat that works with HomeSeer? Nest and Ecobee both have plugins to HS over Wifi, and work great.

I personally really like Nest, with it's remote sensors.... lots of control via Spud's plugin.

Comment

I was trying to stick with as few protocols as possible, we have zwave and it is working, so trying to stick with that. Would rather also limit more plug ins. Everything is moderately stable now (except net cam)

Comment

Well, if you look at the HS website, you have two directions to go:

One is "all the stuff that is compatible."

And there is the current, "stuff we sell."
        HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
        Home Assistant 2024.3
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
        Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
        Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
        WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
        AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
          Is there a reason it has to be zwave enabled, or are you just looking for a t-stat that works with HomeSeer? Nest and Ecobee both have plugins to HS over Wifi, and work great.

I personally really like Nest, with it's remote sensors.... lots of control via Spud's plugin.
          The Nest doesn't support remote sensors, Ecobee does. I've got 2 ecobee3 (full version; a lite version is available if you don't need the remote sensor capability) and they work great. The HS interface is cloud based, so only works when your internet and the ecobee servers are up. The spud's HS plugin polls the thermostat every 4 minutes. Controls are instantaneous though.
          Last edited by epimetheus; April 13, 2017, 02:00 PM. Reason: Corrected ecobee PI polling interval.

Comment

I had many of the same reservations you do. The Trane XR524 is the one I ended up purchasing from shop.homeseer.com.
            https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=23358472198

It has been running perfectly for about 5 months in my home. It is responsive when settings change and I am comfortable using its sub device status changes to trigger other events. Currently, when my house is occupied and not in cleaning mode and the furnace fan starts a circulation run my houses ceiling fans spin up if they were not already turned on manually.
            The xr524 supports z-wave as the primary wireless interface and does not need a third party plugin to work.

Additionally, you can setup the thermostat in stand alone and configure your cycles in the thermostat's touch screen interface. no HA connection required for it to actually work. Personally, I setup my cycles in both just in case something goes awry. I have my cycle times to occur within minutes of each other in the event HS3 goes down.

One of my WAF requirements was that my wife could override settings from the panel and the xr524 is very friendly in that regard.

I run HS3 standard for Linux. At the time (I was running HS3 standard for Linux 3.0.0.258) that I added it, I do remember finding that the image icons were missing. I ended up loading HS3 for Windows on my workstation and pulled the images over.
            My only complaint is that the screen isn't color, but at least it isn't green. I could go up to the xr824 which is Trane's proprietary IOT offering but then you are talking about connecting to cloud based services which is another pain point for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Kerat; April 12, 2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I'll have to agree that the Trane stats work well. I used the XR624 which also has the humidity device. All works well with the exception that when if calls for heat, the mode get set to "unknown" instead of "Heating". Not sure why - perhaps it's something specific to my environment. I actually bought two of them which exhibit the same behavior. However, this is only when heating and not cooling. I still trigger off of the mode without issue. Otherwise, I am very happy with it.
              Got a brand new spare if you want it...

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Anything that is cloud "DEPENDENT" is a non-starter. The brief outage yesterday reminded me how much our house is dependent on the link in the cloud between Amazon (Alexa) and Homeseer.

The Trane was high on my list, and haveing it co-exist with local settings or overrides for the spouse is a big plus.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                X