Non X10 Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non X10 Cameras

Is anyone out there using non-x10 cameras? How are you controlling them via homeseer and what are you doing with them?

Thanks

I use a wired color-by-day, infrared-by-night camera I got on eBay for about $45. Quality is comparable to some similar $200 cameras available locally. It’s not great, but better than the X-10 cameras costing twice as much (in my opinion). It is connected via RG6 cable to a Y-adapter. One leg of the Y-adapter leads to a modulator that is connected to a video distribution amplifier and feeds the camera video to all my TVs on a particular channel. The other leg from the Y-adapter leads to a Hauppauge capture card in my HS PC. I use Active WebCam to:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Stream video to my webpages
    <LI>Capture video in MPEG format when motion is detected
    <LI>Serve an up-to-the-second JPG when requested
    <LI>It has more, but that’s all I use for now[/list]
    From websites, I can access the live video, the up-to-the-second still capture or any previously captured MPEG video. HS does no control of the camera. I use HS’ web interface to access the info created by Active WebCam.

Comment

Independentpete,

What camera are you using?

Thanks

Comment

I bought it on eBay about 1.5 years ago. It looks exactly like this one...
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48629
        Same specs, I think. Mine came from Hong Kong. It's been outdoors since last fall, through Chicago winter and so far, so good.

Comment

Independentpete,

I've looked at that camera and it says it has an RCA connector but you hooked up with RG6. Could you tell me if I would just need a simple adapter or is there something more complicated (expensive) involved?

Les

Comment

I use these...
            http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1060
            Parts Express has a pretty good selection.

Comment

Many thanks, we're at a criticala stage of building and I was wondering if I'd have to rewire the camera locations - so that's one more item I can check off!

Comment

Working...
              X