OMG what did I do?!?!?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG what did I do?!?!?!?!?

Thank you for submitting your online application to Rowan College at Gloucester County.

so gradumatated in 1991 from HS... and went to Lincoln Tech for 1 year.. as Computer Tech and been doing nothing but certifications ever since (about 75 and looking at taking another in a week or 2 and yes for my job)...

am I crazy to attempt a 4 year degree that will take me 7 years with:
    full time job @ 65 mile commute each way
    2 kids heavily in sports
    I coach a travel soccer team (u11)
    plus my busy house repair life and little free time i have now!!!!!

ughhh I need a beer just thinking of this...
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Well I guess it's 5 o'clock somewhere .

I am in a similar boat and this thought always crosses my mind. I feel I have hit the wall in corp America on forward progress. I do have a great job that pays really well, but I think I am getting old enough now that I want outta the weeds and get into upper management.

If it were me and you had the ability and the funds (personally I can't see going into debt for school this late in life), education is always good. In your case, if you have the discipline to do online, that would help. I work from home personally, and if I went back to school, it would be a reason for me to get out of the house.

Ask yourself what your end goal would be and if this would help you get there? What are you willing to sacrifice in the short term to do this? Do you have the support of your family in this decision... seems silly, but I think a valid question.

Comment

Two ways to look at it.

1. In the company you are in today, how likely are you to move up the ladder without the degree? Meaning what do people above you think of your potential. If its zip, then you have to look at option 2.

2. Look for a job at another company that allows you to move up the ladder without the stigma of them knowing your current position. Its hard and slow to move up in the same company, fastest is always a new company. If to move to the next level up you keep hitting the "if you only had a degree".. Then look at option 3.

3. Get a degree in something, forget about long term objectives of your career at this point (unless you are looking to be in a specific profession like law or medicine). A generic business degree will open the door and will be the shortest time to complete. Having the paper is all you are looking for at this point. See if the current company will put something towards paying for it, many will if you ask...

Comment

Personally given your situation in life, I wouldn't do it. Just too much going on. As well, you'll be so busy that you won't even see your kids grow up - those years go by too fast and there's no going back to relive them.

Incremental steps is what I recommend... there's more to life and you've only got one.

As well.... you should never take good health for granted! It's not guaranteed.

Just my honest opinion...

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

well..
          i too have an awesomely paying job, awesome bonus, awesome year end 401k match, Co is going to pay 75% of tuition....

now I can get another promotion WITHOUT a degree.. yes I can.. after that I cant but then that would be an associate director and all management. I dont think I want that..

but I am also thinking the wife got 2 associates and 2 bachelors... all with me doing EVERYTHING... 2 kids, both travel soccer, street hockey, MMA..

now I think she is willing to step up and take that role and let me stay home and do what is needed... so she says.. she is the one giving me the thoughts of college..

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Management is not all you might think it is. I worked for a major computer corporation was in management in various staff regional headquarter positions then a division role of the corporation and finally on corporate headquarters staff owing a world wide role. You constantly give presentations on how the unit you control measures, and how you project it will improve. You deal with the auditors at least every year to six months. Your unit failed to operate as you had outlined in your process guidelines. It was not that your unit did poorly, it was simply you did not update your process guidelines, so since your were not following as stated no matter if correct or not you failed the audit. Upper management is coming down hard on you and you don't get a raise this year because of this failure. You constantly work 60+ hours a week and upper management always want more. I can say I was proud of my accomplishments, but I was always jealous of the programmers and high tech people who most actually made more than me, all worked less, and got to go home and forget about work while I had to often bring work home. I often had a conference call with Sidney, Japan and Singapore, or London and Paris from home because it was at a strange time. In order to get the world wide team on a conference call at the same time you sometimes had to schedule it at 6:00 AM say on a Tuesday morning Eastern time so all the people in London, Paris, Sidney, Singapore, Japan and the US can attend at the same time!

Do what is fun! I am retired now, I considered being a techie and they would have trained me, but I chose to sit behind a desk and I did OK, but I still play with wires and techie kind things.

Comment

As an expert in this myself i would say you are heading for a major burnout
              I've been on that road too and in the end and all is finished your mind and body is wasted to the bone.
              - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
              HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
              PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                so gradumatated in 1991 from HS...
                Wow! HomeSeer had a school in the 90ties?
                HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

@Magnus

Jeff is using mentioning HS as a reference to High School or secondary school in the EU.

Different here too is that you pay for school and lately there are a bunch of willy nilly education / trade schools that are in it for the money and not much else these days.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I know, Pete. I was trying to make a joke...

Not successfully, apparently!
                    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Do it now. I got my Masters that way (part time, company paying most) and I have to say I couldn't do it now. There always seem to be more and more things that stand in the way.

At least start it, see how it goes.

Best of Luck,
                      Vector

Comment

Yes Magnus...I laughed and it was funny. Honest. Just wanted to insert a blurb here about the difference in education twix the EU and US.

My brother in law here also went to night school for a few years to get his masters degree paid for by his company.

Here I found a way to get the state to pay for my Cisco Classes (well it was jumping through a few hoops though). Much easier to utilize the company's plan though.

That though related to computer stuff. School though here was some 4 + 4 + 2 post grad stuff...distant memory / different life.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                          I know, Pete. I was trying to make a joke...

Not successfully, apparently!
                          I took it as such... I didn't have time to reply... hah.

scheduled for Monday @ 10am for my Altiris certification test (SCCM competitor) then off to the college to get my assessment tests done. will see how bad I do and take it from there... I'm going in for it..

wife will just need to step up and I will do less...

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                            I took it as such... I didn't have time to reply... hah.

scheduled for Monday @ 10am for my Altiris certification test (SCCM competitor) then off to the college to get my assessment tests done. will see how bad I do and take it from there... I'm going in for it..

wife will just need to step up and I will do less...
                            Good luck in your endeavor, I wish you well. I work in IT and have now for 20+ years and tried going back to school a number of years ago. There never seems to be enough time in the day... the older I get the busier life seems to get. We have 3 children and spent most of our time at the baseball park. My wife stayed home to take care of the kids and we got more involved in baseball at the park as the kids got older. Both of us coached and were on the board. My wife was the treasurer and I took care of the web site and became a commissioner and eventually president for a number of years. We grew a small baseball/softball organization to over 500 children. It was great, we hosted a number our tournaments and eventually hosted a Dixie Youth State Tournament. Somehow I tried to fit going back to school in the middle... It was working for a while and then I became disillusioned. Every class that I attended, the teacher would merge 5 or 6 of us into teams... each member of the team was responsible for particular pieces of a project. Unfortunately it seemed that out of the 5 or 6 of us only 2 or 3 would do the work and the others just expected it to get done and did not mind the team just skating by with a acceptable grade. The teachers did the best they could with the curriculum however, I just wanted to do the work, a good grade and eventual diploma... Personally, I get enough teamwork in my personal and work life. I also tried several online classes and found a similar environment however it was more difficult to work within the team environment and the cost was a bit higher. This was a while back so hopefully the environment has improved. Our youngest child is 18, we have one more year of High School baseball before he moves on to college.

I have thought about trying one of the accelerated degrees, some you can finish in 18 or so months. The time seems reasonable, however the cost can be quite high. I guess it comes down to what you really want... After our youngest goes off to college next year, my wife and I will most likely spend our spare time coaching and helping to manage the league at the ballpark. Working with the kids brings us a lot of joy and memorable moments.

Good luck on your tests
                            Billy

Comment

I did the same thing. Got introduced to IT in the Air Force. Attempted college while still in the service, but after managing a datacenter and being a double MCSE (at the time), I was bored with the "Intro to Computers" classes. Decided to focus on certs after seeing one of those "Get your MCSE and make 120K bullshit ads".

For the record, it took probably 10 years to make 120K (in the Midwest).

40+ certs later (including Cisco and VMWare), I'm a Sr. level Engineer at MSFT. I still don't have any desire to go back to school, but I do believe I've plateaued, career wise.

I'd love to do something else! Become a musician, or an audio engineer, write a book and speak at conferences, maybe even run a datacenter on a beach with a monkey (thanks CDW for that idea). At this point in my life, I'm old and extremely burned out from climbing that corporate ladder... For me, it's all about surviving the next 15 years or so. Make enough to support the wife and kids comfortably until I retire. Then sell everything except my guitars, and live in a nice class A RV for the rest of my days.

Ahhh... the "American Dream"...

Comment

Working...
                              X