Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power went out, my network UPS died, looking for ideas

Hi all,

We just had a bad storm here and my power went out (kind of a common occurrence going into summer here). When I designed my utility room, I left a spot on the wall for my battery backup (an APC HS500). Well, the BBU just died. I"m pretty sure it's just the battery and I could just replace that (won't be the first time).

However, before I do, I was gonna check if anyone had any suggestions for a wall mounted UPS I could replace it with. I would love network control/monitoring if possible. The HS500 has it ,but it's limited and has bugs and they left no way to update it outside the factory (only http access). Since I wired my utility room in a very specific way, I have reverse outlets just below it to feed power from other parts of the room. Because of This, I would like the UPS to hopefully stay where it's at.

I'll include a picture in case anyone has any suggestions of a new UPS with network control.

(Note the Wireless Router on the side is no longer there and is replaced with a EdgeRouterLite in an SMC and APs through out the house, so it's no going to put limitations on what I put up there).
    Attached Files

If you simply add a shelf to the wall, you could use anything right? I'm using a BN1350G that has worked well.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
      If you simply add a shelf to the wall, you could use anything right? I'm using a BN1350G that has worked well.
      Yeah, but there are a bunch of wires in that wall, so I was trying to prevent putting a shelf, but I guess now that I think of it, the wall achors for the UPS itself are in the wall.

I did find this which is interesting and would allow me to use a more traditional UPS.

1350va is a lot though for my us It only powers 1 network switch, the modem, my router and my POE injector....now that I think of it, maybe I do need an upgrade in capacity

Thanks Mark!

Comment

Mine is powering a NAS, 24-port switch, HomeTroller S6, Ooma box, Fiber ONT and a couple odds/ends. I also added a Furman ac-215a before the UPS for those times when everything is running off my generator. Without it, generator power will cause the UPS to keep cycling until the batteries are depleted.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Just an update. I found the BG500 which is Lithium ion, which is appealing and it says the battery can last 8 years (My last one for my HS500 lasted less than a year, but it did got through the hurricane).

for now though, the BG500 is $225, but a new battery is $32 for the HS500 so I went for the battery instead for now.

The BG500 looks really nice and even includes watchdog functionality and 2 of the outlets are configurable for battery or not. It's also wall mountable. The only thing it's really missing is the surge protection for coax, which my hs500 has, but I'll have time to search for an solution to that problem while i go through this last battery.

I will say that I hate that they aren't continuing the HS500. Its a great unit, I actually own 2 (one was at my mom's house and is just in storage right now for when I install a data sub panel in my shed/shop). If they had just added firmware upgrade-ability into them, they would be perfect.

Comment

Working...
          X