This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with First Install

First post - first time installing HS2 (trial version) and can't get it working right.

I get "Page cannot be displayed" often, but not always, when accessing installer updates and "conf" pages under setup. Took several hours to successfully get z-wave interface drivers to load (just kept retrying over and over - appears to randomly work after many tries.) Many times, almost all links (except status) just don't work. Speaker.exe also doesn't connect (but that's not a major issue for me now.)

After reading many posts here, I suspected a firewall problem. First turned off Windows Firewall and Symantic. Then totally unistalled Symantic and AVG (saw reference to issues with AVG although I had later version). No improvement. Surprised I don't see reference to this issue more often on msg board - I tried it on 3 machines - had same problem on two (including work machine with corporate version of Symantic, which I can't turn off or configure so I'm not surprised). Only got it to work on one old borrowed Win 2000 machine that I can't use long term.

Is it possible that Symantic isn't totally uninstalled and that it is still blocking HS2? Any way to figure out what might be blocking? I have same problem from local and remote connections.

Running verson 2.2.0.66 on XP. I'd appreciate any suggestions - I'd like to buy it but running out of 30 day trial time and want to make sure it works first.

I'm very impressed with quality and level of support here - hope you can help me.

It's a known fact that removing some of the newer antivirus packages leaves much of the programs behind and really the only way to ensure they are removed is to rebuild. This is why I do not use nor recommend the use of any of these packages. I would recommend doing a repair on your Microsoft 2.0 .net framework and then uninstalling and deleting your current HomeSeer installation. Then delete the left over directory structure. Then install the latest version of HomeSeer from here:
    http://www.homeseer.com/downloads

Also ensure that the windows firewall isn't blocking your web access.

Lastly what hardware are you running HS on?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for quick response.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled HS2, uninstalled and reinstalled Net 2.0. (And done both at least twice). Reinstalled HS2 from the HS site and Net 2.0 from MS.

I have tried both configuring and then totally turning off the Windows Firewall.

I'm traveling and away from my computer, but from memory, it's an HP with AMD Dual Core 1GB - XP with all upgrades. Nothing special or non-standard.

When you suggest "rebuild", are you saying anything more than removing and reinstalling HS2 and Net 2.0? My computer is an HP and if I rebulid it totally from scratch (an ugly thought at best) I would be using the system reinstall disks and I think even that would put a 60 day version of Symantic back on. I don't have an original "Just XP" disk.

How can I ensure that the windows firewall isn't blocking my web access beyond what I have done by totally turning it off? Is there a way to check if anything from Symantic is still running (I don't think it is)? Do my symptoms sound like a firewall problem (it feels like it to me - but for the life of me, I can't see how I have any firewall running.)

Very frustrating to have a great program almost running.

Comment

To be honest it's hard to say what may be causing your problems but are you seeing any errors in the HomeSeer log file when you have trouble reaching these web pages? Are there any errors in the systems event viewer? If you can "sometimes" reach a page and other times not then there is something on your PC causing problems and now you just have to find the source.

Also, yes when I say rebuild I meant rebuild from scratch. If you want HomeSeer to run your home automation you do not want to start on shaky ground which this PC sounds like it is.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You can also google "norton removal tool" and find a little utility that Symantec puts out to help completely remove the software....easier than rebuilding the machine, and usually works for me.

Are you having these problems acessing HS remotely, from a different pc than the one it is installed on? if so, is it within or outside of your network?

Just to eliminate the "easy stuff," does your machine have a static ip address? I know when I had dhcp enabled on my hs machine...i had spotty access. I had to go in and set the ip adress manually, open the port that I told HS to use for the webserver in my router, and forward that port to the static ip address.

Probably not the problem, but just looking to eliminate the easy stuff. Is there any sort of pattern to the errors...like you only get them on the HS machine, or when you're away from your network, or so on/so forth?
          Plugins:
          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
            You can also google "norton removal tool" and find a little utility that Symantec puts out to help completely remove the software....easier than rebuilding the machine, and usually works for me.
            That's helpful, thank you! Not that's I'd ever get in the same room with Norton AV. Norton has screwed more than a few machines I've had to work on.

What's funny is they warn you to back up your ACT! or WinFAX databases before running their removal tool.

"Watch out or we'll screw those up too"

Comment

Surprised I don't see reference to this issue more often on msg board - I tried it on 3 machines - had same problem on two (including work machine with corporate version of Symantic, which I can't turn off or configure so I'm not surprised).

Sorry, I must have misunderstood what you were saying...happens a lot when I dabble w/ sleep deprivation as much as I have lately!
              Plugins:
              BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Rebuilt my machine and spent a couple evenings getting Net 2.0 framework properly installed (that took even longer than the rebuild.) HS2 appears to be running OK - now I'm just waiting to get z-wave switches from Homeseer to see how well it really works.

I think the two main issues were Norton Security and Net 2.0 installation. I'm running Windows Firewall and AVG A/V apparently without problems.

Thanks for the help - this board and HS help desk have been great in helping me get started.

Comment

AVG works well with HS. Much better than Norton bloatware. You may also consider running Windows Defender, and turning on your Windows XP Firewall (if not already enabled) if you're just running the base version of AVG.

With those three things, you get a decent level of protection against nasties.

Comment

Personally I don't and would never advocate running anti virus or firewalls on a machine running HS, as long as it's a dedicated machine to HS.

If you use a router then the router will have it's own firewall.

Norton and McAfee are very hungry for memory, and tend to trap everything you do wish trapped.

To be honest, if you are not surfing the NET or reading emails on the HS computer then you do not need AV.

I have four computers, one is a laptop. All have AV (NOD32), none have firewall, thats in the router, and they are all connected on an internal LAN.
                    sigpic
                    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Working...
                    X