Question: Air Exchanger Automation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Air Exchanger Automation?

Ok, so I have a Venmar Air Exchanger which utilizes the HVAC fan to distribute the fresh air throughout the house. The HVAC fan uses about 500 watts when the fan motor is engaged.

Problem #1: When the air exchanger is active and the HVAC does not heat then my wife complains that the circulating air feels cold.

Problem #2: From a power consumption perspective, I want to run the fan motor on the HVAC unit as little as possible to conserve energy.

Solution? Anyone see a problem if I were to control the air exchanger via HS/ELK M1G such that it only activates when the HVAC heat is engaged?

I would think that it would make sense to have the air exchanger bring in fresh air only when the HVAC is heating the house. This scenario would seem the most efficient addressing both the "air feels cold" and energy efficiency aspect of running the HVAC fan only when necessary. I already have the most efficient fan that I can buy, but it is still power hungry.

Thoughts? From a pure technical perspective, I have this working... Just don't know long term effects.
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

I had one in my last house. For all the same reasons you mentioned, I controlled my HRV with an appliance module when the furnaced called for heat. I would run it for like 5 minutes after the furnace stopped heating along with my furnace fan. I used to use an x-10 RCS TXB16 stat and HS2 back then. Worked without issue.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
    X