Ubiquiti users - I have a question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news Rob!!!

Curious whether you are using the 19" rack style patch panel or the 12 port vertical style patch panels?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Good news Rob!!!

Curious whether you are using the 19" rack style patch panel or the 12 port vertical style patch panels?
      It's a 19" patch panel in a rack. I'll take some pics.
      This particular patch panel has better cable management on the back.
      Cable Management is an area I need improvement
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I went Ubiqiti UniFi for everything several months ago and it's been the BEST decision! You will not regret this move.

I have a USG, three 8 Port POE switches, one 48 Port POE switch, two APs, plus the Cloud Key. The 8 Port switches and the APs are powered by the 48 Port mother ship as is the Cloud key. The set-up is rock solid and easy to manage. The Cloud Key gives me remote access should something go awry if I'm not home.

I was a solid Linksys guy prior to this and a blown POE switch that they refused to warranty because I purchased it through Amazon blew that marriage. Today I refer to that as serendipity because I am way better off than I was before!

The only caveat is that the UniFi switch will not power the IWAC7 touchscreens via POE. Those screens are fickle and I have to use a separate power injector to make them work. FWIW, the Linksys switch had the same issue, so I definitely fault the screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Techvet View Post
          I went Ubiqiti UniFi for everything several months ago and it's been the BEST decision! You will not regret this move.

I have a USG, three 8 Port POE switches, one 48 Port POE switch, two APs, plus the Cloud Key. The 8 Port switches and the APs are powered by the 48 Port mother ship as is the Cloud key. The set-up is rock solid and easy to manage. The Cloud Key gives me remote access should something go awry if I'm not home.

I was a solid Linksys guy prior to this and a blown POE switch that they refused to warranty because I purchased it through Amazon blew that marriage. Today I refer to that as serendipity because I am way better off than I was before!

The only caveat is that the UniFi switch will not power the IWAC7 touchscreens via POE. Those screens are fickle and I have to use a separate power injector to make them work. FWIW, the Linksys switch had the same issue, so I definitely fault the screens.
          Excellent info - thanks!

I'm looking forward to getting this all setup. When I post the pics, you'll see what it looks like before/after.

Comment

Last edited by Kerat; March 7, 2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I'm happy with the Ubiquiti gear I have for the most part. I love the PoE switches (I have the 16 port) and the access points. I was using an Edgerouter X SFP until last week. I upgraded my internet service to Gigabit and it wasn't able to keep up. The most I got through it was about 550-600 Mbps. First world problems, I know! I picked the Edgerouter because it runs a variant of VyOS, which I love, but didn't realize at the time I purchased it that it doesn't work with the awesome Ubiquiti Controller software. In any case, I moved my firewall onto a VM running VyOS and all is well. All my non-laptop machines including Mac desktop are virtual anyway so that worked out well.
              HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Christmas in March [emoji16]
                16 port Poe
                2 APs
                USG
                Cloud key

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                  16 port Poe
                  2 APs
                  USG
                  Cloud key

Cool! Have fun. I hope you are as happy with the stuff as I am. Even my commented on how fast and reliable her iPads and laptop became when we switched from our R7000.
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I am going to replace my entire home network with Ubiquiti equipment.

1 x Ubiquiti 24-port POE Switch Managed
                    2 x Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE-US Dual-Radio Access Point
                    1 x 1 x Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP AC In-Wall Ethernet Port

My question is - do I need the Unifi Security Gateway?

This is just for my home network. I dont have a fiber connection, just plain old DSL.
                    Since moving in to my new home back on October 2017, my manager at work introduced me to the Uqituiti brand, since I did some research I was sold on the equipment.

For my network I have:

1x 24port POE Switch
                    1x 24port Non POE Switch
                    1x USG

I myself don't have a fiber connection, but I simply use the USG as a VPN connection in to the house either via my phone or my laptop if I'm out the house.

Before the USG I was using PFsense, but me being me I like to keep everything the same (single brand of equipment).

If you don't plan to remote access your home network then there's no need for the USG, but for the price of one, and with how often new features are added, bugs being removed, firmware updates etc, I would invest in one.

Comment

Your Santa knows my Santa....

16 port Poe
                      2 APs
                      USG
                      Cloud key

I got nearly the same March Christmas present as you. Just minus the cloud key....which I just ordered yesterday. I haven't played with anything other than residential networking equipment for 20 years and have thoroughly enjoyed relearning with the Ubiquiti equipment. It's awesome!

Comment

Nice, Rob!

I got everything installed and even went and bought the outdoor AP so we can have internet by the pool:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1196188

We were throwing away a bunch of hinged cabinets at work, and I brought one home. It's hinged front/back which is super-easy to work on, but I am terrible at cable management and over the years, it looks terrible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1196189

Right now, I have all my Ubiquiti stuff installed and working and it's great. I do need to clean up the install. Right now, my patch cables dont match and it's bugging me as soon as I get everything finalized, I'll post some *after* pics.

Comment

Nice!

I am completely digging the Ubiquiti gear. Looking forward to the Cloud Key so I can free up some memory from my HS machine. We have a 300Mbps connection and with the new Ubiquiti Lite APs indoors, we are still getting 150 by most of the pool. 47 in the farthest reaches of the yard. Not too bad. As long as we can stream to the hammock, all is well!

I DO wish I had a real closet in this house. I am relegated to a hall coat closet and I only get the shelves! One day I will have a real cabinet. I am an old RCDD and used to be very AR about cables, but now the equipment sits on a shelf.... Not horrible, but it is what it is....

I WISH I had know about Ubiquiti a few years ago. Would have saved me from trying so many other less worthy products.

Rob
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X