Hottub wiring (OT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hottub wiring (OT)

We just bought a new hottub that should arrive in a couple of weeks. It has a 50 amp GFCI circuit breaker. It will require run of #6 AWG 3wire from the breaker box. Before I call an electrician, can anyone point me to what I need to do and the options I have?

I have wired a couple of hot tubs (mine and my sisters). Are you planning on doing it yourself or having an electrician do it? If an electrician, what do you need to do /options are you asking about?

Dick
    Dick
    HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

This may vary by local codes, but it is likely that you will need to run a separate solid copper from the pump motor to an earth ground. This is in addition to the neutral that goes back to the circuit breaker. Look into the regulations as to the max length of this grounding line. You may find you need to stake a grounding rod where you had not planned.

You also need maintenance access to the pump. This may or may not be an issue depending upon your installation. I sandwiched a bed of wet concrete between heavy plastic and set the base of the tub on top of it. This provides a solid form-fitting base that minimizes vibration when the jets are on. It also eliminates stress points on the bottom since the entire surface is solidly supported. Of course, do the physical mounting per the manf instructions.

On/Off control should be two stage. There should be an air switch that you can control from within the tub. There should be a wall switch that you cannot reach from the tub. The two run in series to enable shutoff from two locations.

Comment

Yes, your electrician should know what your local codes are. When I installed mine, I also had to drive a 6 foot copper ground in the earth between the outside switch and the hot tub. Are you planning on using any x10 controls on it?

Martin Custer
        Martin@AutomatedOutlet.com
        www.AutomatedOutlet.com
        Authorized HomeSeer Distributor
        Martin Custer

Comment

Sorry guys, I just have to ask. I have been eyeing hot tubs too. The run of wire from my house panel to the location of the hot tub would include about a fifty foot trench. DOes an electrician just say "you need a trench from here to there, give me a call when it's done"?

Guess you could say I am not a fan of digging trenches!

SHawn

Comment

Window washing and trench digging are not in the electricians job description. I think you may be hard pressed to find one that would even lay the conduit after the trench is dug. Maybe a short one would not be a problem for him. I know the code here is that the power company transformer to the house meter trench is 3ft deep. That was $135/hr for the track hoe and operator. With the pick and shovel I only went down about 18" for some auxillary power feeds, but that was after the inspector had signed off on everyting.

Comment

My back hurts thinking about it. Seems we spend a lifetime digging post holes and trenches.....I must be getting old and grumpy.

Thanks for the insight.

Shawn

Comment

A lot of tool rental places will rent trench diggers like this - http://www.alpinemagnum.com/trench.htm

If you want to do it yourself without a lot of shoveling this might work. I have no idea what the rental cost would be.

HTH,
                Brett

Comment

thanks for the help folks.

Comment

Working...
                  X