Config of remote plug-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Config of remote plug-in

I am just beginning to explore the plug-in and am quite impressed, but I'm running into some surprises, too. I started with the Kinect on my HS3 PC. I was able to configure and run without difficulty.

I then moved to a remote PC. Made a couple of newbe mistakes, but basically got it working, configured, etc.

Then I disabled the plug-in instance on the HS3 PC. After that the links to the User Guide and Forum disappeared and I cannot access the config screen for the remote instance from its link. Even if I re-enable the local instance, although the missing links come back, trying to reach the config page for the remote instance gives me an error: Error finding plugin in GenPage: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

There is only one instance of the plug-in listed in Task Manager on the remote PC.
    Plug-in version 20.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

I'm not sure what your problem is, but if you want to run a remote instance only, you don't have to disable or enable anything on the interfaces page, you just start the plugin on your remote machine and that's it.

to restart everything from scratch, delete your Kinect_<instance_name>.ini file and restart the plugin

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
      I'm not sure what your problem is, but if you want to run a remote instance only, you don't have to disable or enable anything on the interfaces page, you just start the plugin on your remote machine and that's it.

to restart everything from scratch, delete your Kinect_<instance_name>.ini file and restart the plugin
      Thanks. That resolved the problem.

Please bear with my newbe questions, but I'm using your plug-in as a way to begin to learn how HS3 works with remote instances. (And you are so much more responsive than HST.)

Since I'm only beginning to learn my way around HS3, and just to clarify terminology, the only way I know to restart the plug-in is to disable it and then enable it again on the 'Manage Plug-ins' page. Is there a better way? Is the 'interfaces' page you refer to the same or different?

The reason I disabled the local instance of the plug-in was because I physically moved the Kinect from my HS3 computer to a remote computer and didn't want the plug-in running on the local machine. I take it that the order of performing functions may be important and I should have disabled the local plug-in instance before I started the plug-in on the remote machine.

Would you expect that disabling the local instance after starting the remote instance to have no effect? I think that's what may have caused the problem I encountered.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
        Since I'm only beginning to learn my way around HS3, and just to clarify terminology, the only way I know to restart the plug-in is to disable it and then enable it again on the 'Manage Plug-ins' page. Is there a better way? Is the 'interfaces' page you refer to the same or different?
        yes the "Manage Plug-ins" is the same as the "interfaces" page. I call it interfaces page because the url is interfaces
        To restart a local plug-in you can disable and enable it from this page. To restart a remote plugin you need to stop it from task manager or from the console and then restart it.

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
        The reason I disabled the local instance of the plug-in was because I physically moved the Kinect from my HS3 computer to a remote computer and didn't want the plug-in running on the local machine. I take it that the order of performing functions may be important and I should have disabled the local plug-in instance before I started the plug-in on the remote machine.

Would you expect that disabling the local instance after starting the remote instance to have no effect? I think that's what may have caused the problem I encountered.
        I know that disabling the main local instance while other instances still running can have strange consequences, but this is a HS3 bug it should not have any effect on other instances.
        Also, make sure all your instances use a different name.

Comment

Thank you for your patience and the tutorial. I find it very helpful to get a clear explanation of basic functions like this.

Comment

Working...
          X