This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another mobile app

One of my New Year's resolutions was to write my first mobile app. After thinking for a while about what app to write, I ended up with yet another mobile app for HomeSeer. The motivation for the app was to come up with something that was clean and straightforward - to get in and out of the app very quickly. After a while I realized I was using the app regularly and I thought maybe it would be useful for other people here as well.

Update

You can now get the HSBuddy for:
    • iOS: from the App Store
    • Android: from the Play Store
    • HS3: go to the plug-in management page on your HS3 server and look under User Interfaces

Some of the features available include:
    • Explore and control devices (turn on the lights, open your garage door)
    • List and run events
    • View history of device state changes *
    • Monitor your home cameras **
    • Create shortcuts on your home launcher
    • Receive push notifications *
    • Browse your HomeSeer controller logs *
    • Connect to your server directly (WiFi) or remotely (via MyHomeSeer). You can setup both connection types and HSBuddy will choose the best available connection.

* Requires installing the HSBuddy HS3 plug-in on your server
    ** Compatible with certain HS3 camera plug-ins

For more information and troubleshooting help, go to http://hsbuddy.avglabs.net

Some screenshots:

Last edited by avargaskun; June 4, 2018, 12:41 AM.

Looks nice. I would have a go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by avargaskun View Post
      ... Only compatible with iOS at the moment - I will have a version up for Android soon if there's interest ...
      +1 for Android
      Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

+1 as well for Android!

Looks nice!
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

+1 android
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

+1 for Windows Phone 10

Comment

Very nice!

+1 android
              HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

+1 for Android.
                My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Looks great!

If you make an HS plugin to integrate with, any chance you can add client devices to HS? For example have devices in homeseer for iPhone battery level, free space remaining, or if an update is pending. Also, receiving notifications directly from the plugin on the iPhone would be nice.

Another wish would be--all the same plus more client devices for a windows universal app.

Very cool!

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                  Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                  Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

I am interested in testing the IOS version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Question (since I was planning on maybe at some point writing my own app), how do you handle complex "devices" if at all?

For instance, while planning mine out, I was thinking of having a generic "thermostat" device that you could assign multiple HS devices to for things like Heat set point ,cool set point, fan, mode, etc. I think while this will take some extra up front config, it gives the user some of the customization of HSTouch, without having to do the HSTouch designer stuff (and obviously limiting the design aspect).

Also, do you just return all Devices, or do you give the option to "hide" devices? I have a lot of devices I will never have a need to show on the mobile platform. On mine, i was going to have the user actually "add" devices that they wanted to show instead of showing them all.

Oh, and +1 on the android app. I'm always willing to try something new

Comment

looks nice and clean
                        +1 for Android indeed

Comment

I'd like to try IOS. Looks cool.

Comment

The functionality for devices and events should be as those just use the JSON API. The camera functionality uses a custom ASPX page which I think should be Linux compatible. The goal is to eventually evolve the page into a fully featured plug in.

Originally posted by mikedr
                            Looks great! And sooooo much nicer than HS3Touch!

I'm definitely willing to test, but -- is it Linux compatible?

Comment

Thanks for the comments! I'll be spending this weekend getting the Android version up and running, stay tuned

Regarding complex devices, that is the long term goal. Initially for thermostats to match the functionality in HSTouch. Other complex type I have in mind are music devices (i.e. Sonos speakers). The app does understand devices that are related (parent/child/sibling) but it only uses that information right now to display battery status (it will show battery status next to any device that has a sibling of battery type, so you don't have to show the battery device itself in the list).

The app respects the setting to 'hide device from views' that is built-in to HomeSeer. You can get to that setting from your HomeSeer server webpage, in the detailed view you get after clicking on the name of a device. You can also add or remove that setting from multiple devices in bulk by selecting one or more devices in your HomeSeer server homepage and using the drop down at the top left corner (hide/unhide). There's a setting in the app to show 'all' hidden devices, but I thought individual device visibility management was better suited to the webpage since the functionality was already built in.

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                              Question (since I was planning on maybe at some point writing my own app), how do you handle complex "devices" if at all?

For instance, while planning mine out, I was thinking of having a generic "thermostat" device that you could assign multiple HS devices to for things like Heat set point ,cool set point, fan, mode, etc. I think while this will take some extra up front config, it gives the user some of the customization of HSTouch, without having to do the HSTouch designer stuff (and obviously limiting the design aspect).

Also, do you just return all Devices, or do you give the option to "hide" devices? I have a lot of devices I will never have a need to show on the mobile platform. On mine, i was going to have the user actually "add" devices that they wanted to show instead of showing them all.

Oh, and +1 on the android app. I'm always willing to try something new
                              Last edited by avargaskun; February 11, 2016, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X