Avoid passwording and image - creative web server ideas wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoid passwording and image - creative web server ideas wanted

OK, here is my dilemma. Previously, before the MS update that killed guest:guest@... , I displayed a webcam image from my HomeSeer server on my family website (hosted elsewhere). I did this by <src="http://guest:guest@domain.org/webcam.jpg">

Of course now I can't. And I do not want to upload the image to the actual webpage server because it is triggered by motion and it would eating up bandwidth all day.

Is there a way to not password a file, directory or both on the HomeSeer server or is there something much simpler here that I am overlooking.

Jim

What about creating a custom "Home Page" for HS and then setting it as non-protected in the advanced config?

-Nitrox

Comment

I personally would just run apache on the side, which is what I do, you get much more control over your files, and once you get bored, you can play with php and DCOM to do some cool stuff, if you want to stick with HS, then nitrox' suggestion would be the way to go.

---
      Do you cocoon?
      http://www.CocoonTech.com
      HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
      (aka xplosiv)
      Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Even easier then Apache is IIS and if your running Win2K, or XP Pro it comes on the OS Disk and take about 2 minutes to setup. My home page is hosted on IIS on my HS server and then any pages that are served by HS can be pointed to with a simple url to the HS web server.

-Rupp
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I would like to know more about how you run HS with apache. currently I have a linux box with apache that serves my home site. im trying to figure out how various pages would 'talk' to homeseer being on a different machine and a non-microsoft product. the ASP pages all use shared variables and what not, how would I get this data available to a webserver other than HS own. point me in a direction and I can go from there.
          -christopher
          PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Can't you simply redirect incomming requests from Apache to the HS web server?

-Rupp

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cadillackid:
              im trying to figure out how various pages would 'talk' to homeseer being on a different machine and a non-microsoft product.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got around this issue by writting a simple SOAP server that runs on my HS machine. I can interact fully with HS from a script on any machine in my house like it was running locally.

If there was enough interest in this I could easily port it into a HS plugin and offer it as another one of my freebies.

-Nitrox

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I will try IIS. I have always planned to move to IIS eventually, but have been reluctant thinking it may be a lot of work to make the conversion.

Rupp, are you running HS and IIS on different ports then?

Why not just run IIS only? Are there configuration issues in switching (with scripts and such). Or drawbacks, for instance not being able to change server settings within the HS Options panel?

Jim

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Roberts:
                  Thanks guys. I think I will try IIS. I have always planned to move to IIS eventually, but have been reluctant thinking it may be a lot of work to make the conversion.

_Rupp_, are you running HS and IIS on different ports then?
                  Yes. HS on port 81 and IIS on 8081.

Why not just run IIS only?
                  There are many things that HomeSeer's web server does well and I do not want to duplicate things like the status page.

Are there configuration issues in switching (with scripts and such). Or drawbacks, for instance not being able to change server settings within the HS Options panel?
                  None what so ever. My main page is served by IIS and some are served by HS.

Jim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Rupp

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cadillackid:
                    I would like to know more about how you run HS with apache. currently I have a linux box with apache that serves my home site. im trying to figure out how various pages would 'talk' to homeseer being on a different machine and a non-microsoft product. the ASP pages all use shared variables and what not, how would I get this data available to a webserver other than HS own. point me in a direction and I can go from there.
                    -christopher<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                    As Rupp noted, you can set up Apache as a proxy for your HomeSeer machine. The pages are still hosted by HomeSeer but you get to them via the Apache server which can do your user authentication.

Comment

Working...
                    X