Serious issues with Hi-Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious issues with Hi-Phone

First off this is not an issue with lockups so I started a new thread.

I purchased the Hi-Phone in Jan 03 and it worked fine. Sometime in the summer the Hi-Phone stopped working. I did some checking and found that the unit was not closing the phone line.

If I completly disconnect the hi-phone from the computer and cycle the power, the internal phone works OK until I try to do a flash hook or hang up the line. It never hangs up. I don't believe this has anything to do with the computer as it is completly disconnected from it. Prior to my issue, the Hi-Phone would make multiple audible clicks internally. Now it doesn't do those same clicks.

Has anyone had a simuliar problem?
    Would a flash upgrade of the bios within the Hi-Phone fix this issue?

It is comming up to a year that I have owned this unit and am concerned about the warranty with it.

I tried the unit at my in-laws home and it has the same issue of not closing the line upon hangup. I don't believe it to be a problem with my phone line as it worked for at least 6 months.

I spend a lot of money on this unit and expect it to work as advertised. It also presents a safety issue if when it is in line of our phones, it doesn't release the phone line as expected.

Any help or suggestions on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Steward

BTW: I completly rebuild my system with a fresh install of the os and it made no difference.

-Greg

Comment

That is a variant of the issues that are out there with that W2C. Read the other posts for possible fixes such as leaving log windows open and using different USB ports. There isn't one universal fix.

Until you feel good about a fix, do not run your phone line through the W2C. Just plug the LINE of the W2C into a phone jack like you would any other extension phone. You loose the ability for internal voice commands, but your line won't get locked up.

What fixed it for me is HSP version 1. Never got V2 to work right, now I am having a great time with it.

Also, always give version number numbers of your software, some errors are version specific and it may help someone else help you.

Good luck, Bill

HS 1.6.175 HSP 1.0.71
      Pentium 4 2.6 GHz w/ HT
      512 MB Dual Write RAM
      3 Fujitsu 510 Touch Pads
      Way2Call Hi-Phone USB
      NeoSpeech Kate 16
      Ocelot / SECU-16 / SECU-16I
      mcs Temperature (Works great!)
      NetCallerID Box

~Bill

Comment

The hook closure problem is seen with many modems and phone line devices. In some cases it is the relay that is used to connect or disconnect the line from the device. Almost any modem will have this problem after a close lightning strike. Some systems use reed switches that slowly become magnetized and then fail intermittently as you describe, or the opposite - not picking up the line (closing) when it tries to dial.

I don't know the warranty period on that device, but you can probably get it repaired cheaper than a new one.

- Gordon

Write your Congresspeople that we want tighter anti-spam legislation. The new CANSPAM act actually gives marketers the right to spam you at least once, and you have to opt-out with each business. Who's rights are being protected? Business, not the peoples'. See http://www.cauce.org .
        |
        | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
        HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

William,
          The hi-phone will open the line and keep it open regardless of where I plug the unit into the line at. It also doesn't matter if the hi-phone is connected to the computer, if the computer is completly turned off, if the hi-phone has power. Nothing. It just opens the line and never closes it.

Gordon, I don't know about a lightning strike near by, but do recall that the unit didn't just begin to fail all at once, it happened gradually which makes this all the more frustrating.

If I was to try and get this unit repaired, who would I send it to?

Anyone else have any ideas.

-Greg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Win XP Pro
          HomeSeer v1.6.177
          HS Phone v2.0.151
          DooMotion v1.2.43
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Start with where you bought it.

- Gordon

Write your Congresspeople that we want tighter anti-spam legislation. The new CANSPAM act actually gives marketers the right to spam you at least once, and you have to opt-out with each business. Who's rights are being protected? Business, not the peoples'. See http://www.cauce.org .
            |
            | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
            HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Working...
            X