Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain Gauge

Hi,

Does anyone know if this Rain Guage is compatible with MCSTemp? I hope to hook it up via either a Temp-08 or a DS9490 USB interface. Just don't want to buy it if it won't work.

http://www.aagelectronica.com/aag/in...tml&lang=en-us

Cheers.

Steve

It looks to use the DS2423 counter and the resolution is .01 so you should be fine with it. I think I got my counter from AAG and applied it to a rain bucket I got from Worthington Distribution. A 8" bucket is needed to meet some meterological standard, but you should be fine with the smaller AAG one. It will be easier to find a place to locate it.

Even when I put a mesh over the bucket I still get organic matter that plugs up the orifice and needs to be cleaned every once in awhile.

Comment

Thanks very much for the quick reply! One is now on its' way to England

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

i use the older release from aag above 1 year with mcstemp: TAI8586LCR

Comment

Hi,

OK, rain gauge now fitted, complete with mesh cover. Seems to be working, emptied jug of water into it and the "Rain Rate" & "Rain Today" devices came to life. The Rain Rate gradually went back to zero during the following hour and the Rain Today reset at midnight (I think).

Just wondering if the default rain count calibration is OK? It is currently set at 1 - 0.2 - just asking as I would have thought that the couple of pints of water that went through it in the space of a minute would have equated to a bit more than 0.4" of rain? Or maybe I just don't understand how it works these things out

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

My gauge is 0.01 inch per count. This will equate to the default calibration. Adjust as appropriate for the level per count on the gauge that you have.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply - just checked the AAG site and mine measures 1/100th of an inch per tip so I guess I can leave the settings as is

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

If you have a container the same diameter of the gauge bucket then you can do a contolled experiment to confirm the counting correctness. Actually any size container will work if you want to do some math. You could also collect some rainfall in a container and compare with the counter.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions - think I'll try the last one (no math required) - but will have to wait for a good downpoor as I don't fancy my chances trying to measure a few hundredths of an inch worth of water

Don't suppose there is any chance of adding in a few more devices (similar to the highest recorded wind speed) to record lowest & highest temps (for one "designated" sensor) and highest recorded daily rainfall? Would be great to have this information viewable alongside all my other weather info?

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X