HS3 Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Hardware

With the upcoming HS3 release, I've been thinking of building a new machine just for HS3 and run parallel until fully converted over. I've been extremely happy with the FoxConn D525 with a PicoPSU (Thanks Pete and Wade!). It was cheap and the power consumption is extremely low.

Now, I finally have a computer rack in my wiring closet. It's a hinged enclosure both front and back and I'm moving everything inside. Now, I'm thinking of getting a 1U enclosure, mini-itx MB and sticking with the PicoPSU. I'm also considering this build with SSD instead of a hard drive as the quality seems to be improving.

Anyone have any thoughts about a 1U/Mini-ITX/PicoPSU setup?
    What is everyone else doing?
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

I have built sort of a "duplicate" HS setup using a BCM industrial motherboard. I purchased it "new" old stock (purchased a few of these). It is sort of built as a multimedia machine of sorts with VGA, DVI, HDMI and LCD to the board connections. It also has a mini PCiE, standard PCie and PCI slot. Only thing is that this motherboard utilizes one 19VAC power connection (laptop?). (I have two Atom and two of these - almost identical except for the motherboard). The 19VAC power brick is cheaper than the picoPSU as its a standard laptop PS. I use the same these days for the little Aopen DE's and have found them for as little as $10 each.

The newer gen has many options and is built very well.

http://www.bcmcom.com/bcm_product_mx67qmd.htm

I liked the D525 Foxconn motherboards so much I replaced the older carPC motherboards with these same said motherboards. (one was still using a Via Epia and the other was using a 2nd gen Atom based motherboard).
    Attached Files
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

you guys really like these atom based machines huh?
      i have been always the.. GIVE IT MORE POWER!!!!!

I dont want to hear .. .But Captain... Im givin it all she's got!!!

im wondering the power requirements for HS3 myself as I have a full dell optiplex tower laying up in the air in a telco rack.. would love to do a small box in there..

im thinking a hp mediasmart box as it too is low power, many drives and has WHS installed

we shall see...

i just know when companies change the technology, and with hardware so cheap... they tend to overlook and bloat stuff... remember installers used to fit in diskette.. now dvd's are the norm.. all that stuff!!!!!
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Anyone considered the Zotac ZBox line? http://www.zotacusa.com/products/mini-pcs/zbox

I'm waiting on HS3 to build a new server as well but I kind of agree with TeleFragger - there is no substitute for horsepower when you need it. I don't think I'd go with an Atom at this point.

Comment

Yeah here I have one Dell server but the rest of the name branded computers and servers here are HP.

That said though I've always enjoyed playing with hardware such that the real "working" computers (servers) are mostly very custom built.

IE: For the 8 hot swap home brew SATAIII NAS box I didn't even utilize the SATA ports on the AMD based motherboard; rather I went with the IBM M1015 PCiE card.

The above noted with the case, motherboard, card, drives et al I probably spent a bit too much time and money on this endeavor. I mean the case is still not even for sale here in the US.

Personally a little pico pc with some 16 Gb of memory running most current fastest CPU in the smallest box I can find would suit me just fine for HS3 whatever OS its running on.

BTW HS Standard on box #2 (Atom D525) running the Z-Troller connected at V.80 is averaging maybe between 1-2% CPU utilization.

Fully loaded with all of the hardware that I connect today it did just fine. Metrics were posted on the forum when I first built and used it.

I do have some 6 D525 PCs today (2 Shuttles, 2 Foxconn's and 2 in the cars) running with the Atom based D525.

The AMD NAS endeavor was my first "like" Atom but AMD venture into this CPU world.

BTW no matter what I do I cannot break the Linux boxes.
          Last edited by Pete; April 26, 2013, 01:32 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
            you guys really like these atom based machines huh?
            i have been always the.. GIVE IT MORE POWER!!!!!

I dont want to hear .. .But Captain... Im givin it all she's got!!!

im wondering the power requirements for HS3 myself as I have a full dell optiplex tower laying up in the air in a telco rack.. would love to do a small box in there..

im thinking a hp mediasmart box as it too is low power, many drives and has WHS installed

we shall see...

i just know when companies change the technology, and with hardware so cheap... they tend to overlook and bloat stuff... remember installers used to fit in diskette.. now dvd's are the norm.. all that stuff!!!!!
            +1 i started with an atom and moved to an i5. if i was only doing homeseer the atom would have been fine.
            HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
            53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
            https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

The atom board in my sig has 6 com ports. Just sayin.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
              Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
              Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

If hs3 runs on Linux, chances are you'll need less 'power' than hs2.
                HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

My experience so far with HS1.x and 2.x is that the Atoms provide plenty of horsepower as long as HS is the only thing running on it. If you run any IP Cam Software, you definitely need big horsepower.

The Zotacs look awesome. There is also an EcoPC line that looks great too - small form factor. I am still leaning towards a 1U form factor though...

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                    The Zotacs look awesome. There is also an EcoPC line that looks great too - small form factor. I am still leaning towards a 1U form factor though...
                    Yeah I really wish they had an i5 or i7 in that form factor though. Once you start running mysql, a streaming media server, JRiver Media center, etc. on it you are going to need more horses. That's why I'm conflicted.

Comment

Didn't Rich/Rick hint at more distributed processing options for plugins, etc in HS3 or did I dream/wish that ??
                      That would mean the direction would be more towards several smaller boxes than one large one, where you don't need to put everything on one box..

Can't comment on new processors, our dual pentium on XP keeps on going and going and going. Sure would be luxurious to have a rack and closest though , our HS server sits in the Isolation room of the Shelter. Probably the only HS box that can say it always has a virus in it

Z

Comment

Yeah, I got lucky at work. We were throwing away a front/back hinged server rack. I told them to just throw it away into the back of my truck
                        So far, I have a patch panel (also free) and a couple of the Avocent rack-mounted smart PSUs. I'm punching everything down and patching to individual devices - phone, ethernet, IP cams, etc.

Here's a pic of what the rack looks like:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice, and it's cat proof...
                          Who's the vendor?

Here's the Lowes version
                          http://va.siameserescue.org/webcam.html
                          (Bottom left webcam)

Z

Comment

Pete,

Nice motherboard. My new Fileserver is a used Acer EasyHome. It has a itty-bitty motherboard in it. I put WHS2011. As long as I am not logged into it, it runs VERY well for just a file server.

I've considered what would I do if I needed more power. Looks like something like the motherboard you linked, or maybe smaller might do it. Esp. with an i7 on there. Quad core 3.2Ghz...that would 4x the processing power. (I have dual core 1.6Ghz Atom in there now). I really think if the motherboard would accept more than a 2GB stick of RAM, it would have helped WHS a lot more. But again, using it for Drivepooling and WHS backups. I get 60-70MB/s over the network. Not as fast as the Dell T110, but for using 175W, and getting a 19TB drive pool out of it, running at least 60MB/s over Gigabit...I'm quite happy so far.

--Dan
                            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Very nice Rob.

Curious what MFG of motherboard you will be using in your 1U box?
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X