Z-Wave Orphaned Nodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave Orphaned Nodes

I somehow ended up with multiple nodes of the same device while attempting to add a single Aeon Minimote. How can I remove an orphaned z-wave node?

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
    I somehow ended up with multiple nodes of the same device while attempting to add a single Aeon Minimote. How can I remove an orphaned z-wave node?

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Just delete the unused nodes by editing the device. When I get orphaned nodes, I usually wait a little while and look for the one with the oldest or blank Last Update field to determine which one is the orphan.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Yes, I understand that I can delete the HS device, but the Z-Wave Interface still lists it as a valid node. The node itself isn't associated with a valid Z-Wave device, so I am trying to figure out how to purge it.

Regards,
      ultrajones
      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
        Yes, I understand that I can delete the HS device, but the Z-Wave Interface still lists it as a valid node. The node itself isn't associated with a valid Z-Wave device, so I am trying to figure out how to purge it.

Regards,
        ultrajones
        I mistakenly thought you were talking about child nodes. To remove an invalid node from the controller, is the "Remove Node" option available under the Z-Wave tab -and- does it work? If not, the only way I have been able to permanently remove a phantom node from the controller, is to perform a backup, edit the backup file to remove it, then restore the controller. This only works with a Z-Troller which allows backup and restore. That has only happened once ever, the rest of the time "Remove Node" has worked, though sometimes it takes several times. I haven't tried it with a Z-Net but the backup file looks almost identical, so it should work.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Removing a Failed Plugin Module?

I have HS3 connected to a Z-Net controller. I have had an Everspring Plug-in Dimmer module installed as Node 2 in my Z-wave network. Yesterday the module failed and is no longer physically installed.
          I have tried repeatedly to "Remove Node" 2 in the Device Management Z-Wave Tab to NO avail. After about 45 seconds I get the message:

Node 2 was not removed from any interface in the system, it may still be communicating or function aborted

And in the log:
          Node 2 Z-Wave Everspring Switch Multilevel Node 2 does not appear to be associated with the interface RGSZNetInterface.

And of course the node is not removed! I have also tried "deleting" the device but it returns!

How do I get rid of this device?

Help appreciated,
          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            I mistakenly thought you were talking about child nodes. To remove an invalid node from the controller, is the "Remove Node" option available under the Z-Wave tab -and- does it work? If not, the only way I have been able to permanently remove a phantom node from the controller, is to perform a backup, edit the backup file to remove it, then restore the controller. This only works with a Z-Troller which allows backup and restore. That has only happened once ever, the rest of the time "Remove Node" has worked, though sometimes it takes several times. I haven't tried it with a Z-Net but the backup file looks almost identical, so it should work.
            I have used the backup, edit, and restore procedure with the Z-Net and it worked perfectly. I had a dozen or so orphaned nodes that are now gone.

I backed up the config, edited the backup file to remove any lines which started with an orphaned node number, saved the file, and restored it to the Z-Net controller. Whether it is supposed to work or not, it worked perfectly here.

Comment

Originally posted by randycboone View Post
              I have used the backup, edit, and restore procedure with the Z-Net and it worked perfectly. I had a dozen or so orphaned nodes that are now gone.

I backed up the config, edited the backup file to remove any lines which started with an orphaned node number, saved the file, and restored it to the Z-Net controller. Whether it is supposed to work or not, it worked perfectly here.
              This always works. However, the downside is that you'll need to optimize the network to rebuild the routing table when you're done. if you have one of our Linux systems, it's much more difficult to do unless you speak fluent Linux and can navigate the file structure successfully.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

To remove an orphaned node your should be able to do an import on the z-wave tab, that will create a device, probably named "Sigma...".
                Then go into that device and on the Z-Wave tab click "Remove".
                Sometimes it gives a message about not finding the node or not being able to remove it but has really removed it.
                To check, restart the interface from the function menu, or disable and re-enable the plugin, then go to the node info page and see if its gone. If so, you can then delete the device.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  To remove an orphaned node your should be able to do an import on the z-wave tab, that will create a device, probably named "Sigma...".
                  Then go into that device and on the Z-Wave tab click "Remove".
                  Sometimes it gives a message about not finding the node or not being able to remove it but has really removed it.
                  To check, restart the interface from the function menu, or disable and re-enable the plugin, then go to the node info page and see if its gone. If so, you can then delete the device.
                  I've had some really stubborn nodes that couldn't be removed this way, but yea... do what Greg is saying here first. If that doesn't remove the node, then you'll have to manually edit the backup.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                    I've had some really stubborn nodes that couldn't be removed this way, but yea... do what Greg is saying here first. If that doesn't remove the node, then you'll have to manually edit the backup.
                    Ditto.

Comment

What do you do when the node number isn't listed in the z-wave backup?
                      RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                        What do you do when the node number isn't listed in the z-wave backup?
                        You can try adding it manually to the file and then restoring it. If the node is still using the same home ID, then this should work. If the node itself has been excluded and needs to be reincluded, this won't work, but probably worth a try.

Good luck!
                        Al
                        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Looking at the backup, is there a way to see which nodes are orphaned ? Or what is the quickest way to find the number ? I know I have some but dont know how to best find them

Comment

Working...
                          X