Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New User's Review: Not so great for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New User's Review: Not so great for me.

I'm running HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.297 on Windows 10. I read the Harmony Hub documentation and, with great expectation, I downloaded Harmony Hub 3.6.5.0 today. I easily completed the config page, but the device page was another matter. The documentation really doesn't explain the sequence of running, or relationship of the: Create Activities, Create Devices, Rescan Activities, Rescan Devices. I did what seemed intuitive and first Created Activities and Devices. While the user is warned to be patient, when you click the Create buttons there is no visual indication that anything is happening (how about a whirling icon?); I later realized that the page eventually refreshes if it is successful. As to creating Devices, after waiting as much as 5 minutes, I never could get an obvious page refresh. My series of trying to create activities and devices went sort of like this: first try, nothing was created. Second try I got my activities. 3rd thru 10th tries, I got no devices. Inexplicably, at some point I finally got my devices on the plugin page.

Going to the home page, there was one device with all my activities in the pulldown. So, I can start the TV, or the mp3, or the blueray, but there are no device controls; am I now expected to go get the remote control? Not very useful. What is the intended logic for operating any of the activities: changing a channel, controlling the volume, pausing play? Hopefully, it is not via creating hundreds of events for the endless matrix of controls for 5 or 6 different activities.

I think I expected to find each of my activities (Start Cable TV, Start Blueray, Start Amazon TV,Start Music, etc) on the home page, each as a separate device. For each, I expected to see a pulldown with the available controls (volume, channel, FF, etc). Perhaps I'm missing something; if one doesn't want to design custom control screens (I only use HSTouch), this plugin does not seem to meet it's full potential.
    Last edited by Sheriff; January 15, 2017, 04:47 PM. Reason: Errors
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
    2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
    300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
    6 CT-100 tstats
    Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
    18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Maybe I was too harsh

Perhaps my review was too harsh. As I experiment with the plug in, I can imagine the challenges of what I suggested. Without custom screens, HSTouch is unlikely to replace my harmony remote; I suspect the more likely use of the plugin is the creation of events that initiate scenes beyond just starting the media devices, i.e.: lighting, shades, temp, etc. My vision might be unrealistic.
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
    2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
    300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
    6 CT-100 tstats
    Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
    18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Comment

Working...
    X