No announcement yet.

Amazon Echo with HAI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. I cannot control thermostats as I do lights (mine are HLC) using the Skill technique as advertised here http://homeseer.com/amazon-echo-integration.html
    However I do see my Omnistats 2000 in the HS list of devices.

2. Why do my App rediscovered devices randomly insert the room name before the device name? This makes it difficult to make Alexa work..

3. Is this room name random insertion causing my custom button commands: ie. Alexa tell Homeseer to "turn the upper audio on" to sometimes have Alexa say "no device found"?

I believe I understand right that other than controlling SKILL light devices, I must prefix all other device controlling with "Alexa tell Homeseer to" because they fall under the Smart Home part of the APP. I also realize that all device descriptions and control command words are customized in the HS HAI plugin and that whenever I alter these I must dump off any rediscover the devices in the Alexa App.

Thank you for helping figure this combo of devices, apps, plugin and HS out and I accept and corrections in my understandings....Steve
    Last edited by ; January 21, 2017, 12:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Alexa Device naming glitch?

Mason, Relative to my point #2 above, I think I have found a glitch in the way Alexa discovers/imports Plug-in device names.

When the light/unit name is unique to my 100+ lights, the device name stays as I typed it into HS without the room name in the device name column. So I have to call it out as that device name only without saying the room name before. {I got around this by putting the room name into the device name column for those one of a kind devices.]

However if the light/unit name is not unique ie. rope, wall, ceiling etc, the room name becomes part of the device name automatically at discovery and starting my request with the room name works OK.

So it seems that Alexa is not listening to my room name provided before the device name. In other words she is listening only to the device name.

Or could I be talking to Alexa incorrectly????? Steve

Comment

Are you using the HomeSeer Skill or the HomeSeer Home Automation Skill?

Comment

Barry in the Skills section I have enabled both and under the section Smart Home skills I have enabled the only one available which is the HomeSeer Skill.

I realize your nice UTube video said to enable the HomeSeer Home Automation Skill, I also read somewhere that both are necessary.

Could this be causing the light naming glitch I posted about?

That is if the Homeseer Web Control Device name is a common one like 'Ceiling Light' then when it gets to the App it becomes "room name" plus Ceiling Light in the device name. So then Alexa wants to hear 'Kitchen Ceiling Light' for example.
          However if the 'Chandelier Light' device name is unique and is not anywhere else in the other 100 light device names then the App does not add the "room name" so Alexa then wants to hear only
          'Chandelier Light'.

It took me awhile to figure this was happening.

Also Barry, Under the section Smart Home, I can see all the discovered light (HAI Units) names listed in the Alexa App but not the other devices like buttons, flags & thermostats. Is there a way to see the names that the Alexa app has given to these devices?

Comment

I only use the Connected Home API (works *without* saying "Tell HomeSeer to...").
            Here's how I set mine up:

Split browser's screen with your HS Device Management page and the Alexa Smart Home page so you can reference them side-by-side.
            Start with one device and make sure the device has voice commands enabled.
            Click on discover devices on the Alexa page and see how the device comes across.
            Change the name on the HS side and re-discover until you get the name you want.

For thermostats - same thing, get the setpoint names like you want and they will work just fine.

For Flags and buttons, I have not tried them. If they do not come across, then you might want to just create a virtual device and trigger off of it instead.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Mason thanks for the quick reply but I am confused by the terminology.

"Split browser's screen with your HS Device Management page and the Alexa Smart Home page so you can reference them side-by-side."

I assume the HS Device Management page is the Homeseer Web Page page with the address like my http://192.168.1.117/deviceutility, correct?

But where is the Connected Home API/Alexa Smart Home Page that I can go to see?? Do you have a web address for me?

Also on the Alexa Iphone App which of the two Homeseer Skills do I add and where, ie Under Skills or under Smart Home or Both???

I like the idea of always leaving out the 'Tell Homeseer to' which is what I do when controlling the lights/units.

Comment

Originally posted by chasers03 View Post
                Mason thanks for the quick reply but I am confused by the terminology.

"Split browser's screen with your HS Device Management page and the Alexa Smart Home page so you can reference them side-by-side."

I assume the HS Device Management page is the Homeseer Web Page page with the address like my http://192.168.1.117/deviceutility, correct?
                Yep - make sure you can see the "Name" column

But where is the Connected Home API/Alexa Smart Home Page that I can go to see?? Do you have a web address for me?
                Go to www.amazon.com/alexa and login with your amazon account.
                click on the hamburger menu at the top left.
                click on Smart Home.
                if you dont already have HomeSeer loaded, click "Get More Smart Home Skills" and load HomeSeer.
                You will need your myhs login/password to install it.
                Now, you should be connected.
                Here's what mine looks like:

In the list of devices in Alexa, I highlighted what you will speak i.e. "Alexa, turn on Eevuhs Bedroom Lights"
                (My kid's name is Eva, but Alexa wants to pronounce it with a short e, so this gets around the grammer issue by spelling it phonetically.)

If you want it to have a different name, click the device in HS, change the Name, click Done, then click Rediscover Devices in Alexa and make sure it comes across.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks that will get me going I think.

Now on the Alexa Iphone App which of the two Homeseer Skills do I add and where, ie Under Skills or under Smart Home or Both???

Comment

Thanks that will get me going I think.

Now on the Alexa Iphone App which of the two Homeseer Skills do I add and where, ie Under Skills or under Smart Home or Both???
                    It's been so long since I loaded, I cant remember the naming differences between the 2. That said, I dont think you will hurt anything by loading both.
                    You will want to look for something like "Connected Home API' or some variation of that.

Comment

Audio on Omni?

Thanks for a great plugin! Are you planning on adding Audio control at some point? I have a Russound System connected to the Omni II Panel. I know I can work around it for now by using flags or buttons to do specific audio functions but full native audio control would be AWESOME! I'd even pay for it!

Comment

Amazon Echo with HAI Omni IIe Controller

I currently have an Amazon Echo and we use an HAI Omni IIe controller for some home automation (lighting, alarm & audio). What HomeSeer hardware / software do I need to get them to 'talk' to each other?

Comment

Originally posted by run310 View Post
                          I currently have an Amazon Echo and we use an HAI Omni IIe controller for some home automation (lighting, alarm & audio). What HomeSeer hardware / software do I need to get them to 'talk' to each other?
                          You need a ZeeS2 and the HAI plugin. All are available through the HS store.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X