Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFXCOM issue with Echo

Hi,

I was wondering if the developer was aware of an issue with the Amazon Echo detecting devices via the RFXCOM?

I have been trying to detect some LightwaveRF modules that work fine in the Homeseer setup, but the echo will not detect them at all (it detects all the Z Wave devices I have installed).

Im not sure if this is an issue with the way RFXCOM creates the devices maybe??

Cheers

Russ

Same here

Just started using the Echo API after using the bridge workaround (which worked with the JSON Commands with no issues) and i am getting the same problem..

Hopefully it will get fixed as i don't want to start with virtual devices as i don't think i will be able to dim them.

Will be following this one

Cheers

Matt

Comment

Funny that...I have a couple of ENERGENIE devices (setup by current release of RFXCOM plugin) I was trying to use with Echo, and even with voice control enabled, Echo setup never discovers them...

I had not even started to look for a solution as I had other issues with Echo that I was more focussed on!

David
      ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

Originally posted by russh View Post
        Hi,

I was wondering if the developer was aware of an issue with the Amazon Echo detecting devices via the RFXCOM?

I have been trying to detect some LightwaveRF modules that work fine in the Homeseer setup, but the echo will not detect them at all (it detects all the Z Wave devices I have installed).

Im not sure if this is an issue with the way RFXCOM creates the devices maybe??

Cheers

Russ
        Do you have "enable voice control" checked for the devices you want it to detect? Also check the Control Use values. Do they show Not Specified or is there something else there such as On or Off? If I recall, the Echo has to have those set properly.

Comment

Originally posted by rmiles7721 View Post
          Do you have "enable voice control" checked for the devices you want it to detect? Also check the Control Use values. Do they show Not Specified or is there something else there such as On or Off? If I recall, the Echo has to have those set properly.
          That fixed it, the control use drop downs were not specified and now, once set, the Alexa app finds the light switch.

Didn't realise what these were for at all!

Thanks for the pointer!

Matt

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Matt

So - are you using the Homeseer published basic skill...?

As I understand it, if you use the basic skill, Alexa parses the recognised commands, hence it needs to discover the devices, but if you use the DEV or HS advanced skill, the text is passed to HS to act upon....

I could never get any RFXCOM devices, with the voice enabled, to be discovered using the basic HS published skill.

David

Comment

Hi David,

Was running the work around for a while due to the UK issue, then installed the java server before then following the Alexa API install method in the forum so I can just say "Alexa turn on the lounge light" as for the java workaround rather than "Alexa tell homeseer to turn on the lounge light".

There is no mention in the log or parsing any text so it's all being done by Alexa I would guess.

The devices were not being found in the Alexa app until I had altered the control use drop downs for on/off and dim - After this was done it appeared in the app and I could control directly.

Hopefully this makes sense

Cheers
              Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Bestgear View Post
                Hi Matt

I could never get any RFXCOM devices, with the voice enabled, to be discovered using the basic HS published skill.

David
                It's the control use properties. I had the same issue with my GC100's until I set them.

Comment

Originally posted by rmiles7721 View Post
                  It's the control use properties. I had the same issue with my GC100's until I set them.
                  Originally posted by 10monkeys
                  The devices were not being found in the Alexa app until I had altered the control use drop downs for on/off and dim - After this was done it appeared in the app and I could control directly.
                  Ah... so that's on the status graphics tab... little wonder I did not sus that out!

Thanks for that - it was a weird one.

I am still not convinced as to which way of integrating is better - the official skill or the DEV skill (assuming you are in the UK) - I personally have sided with the latter so I can use Jon's helper.

Comment

Originally posted by Bestgear View Post
                    Ah... so that's on the status graphics tab... little wonder I did not sus that out!

Thanks for that - it was a weird one.

I am still not convinced as to which way of integrating is better - the official skill or the DEV skill (assuming you are in the UK) - I personally have sided with the latter so I can use Jon's helper.
                    Yup, UK based too..

Was running the DEV skill for a while and thought being able to change the skill invoke change option ideal but the direct request using the API is the simplest.

Somewhat off topic but..

I would love to use Jon's helper again (and probably will) as the direct request of event invocation using the event ID number is far better than fudging about with virtual devices called "Movie Mode" which do not really know that status of my dumb TV (have actually just got a power monitor plug to resolve that, I hope, assuming I don't end up in a loop as inputs are IR based with one power IR signal and the power draw check runs every 30 secs).

Must admit for some reason the request of "Alexa tell homeseer XYZ" is playing up by saying it's not enabled. I am assuming that I can do both methods as the skill is installed, might have to check that..

Anyway glad it worked and hopefully it will help someone else when they hit the same issue!

Cheers
                    M

Comment

Hi,

Got it working, awesome guys, thank you

Cheers

Russ

Comment

Working...
                      X