Hometroller ZEE and X10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hometroller ZEE and X10

I have a Hometroller Zee and am interested in using some old X10 devices I have on hand. Can I do this without buying additional hardware for the Zee?

Yes as long as you have a CM11A or TI103 X10 interface to use as the PC to power-line interface.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Guess that means I need new hardware. Not sure how I would connect that DB9 connector to the Zee anyway. So I guess its time to trash the old X10 devices.

Comment

Originally posted by ebyars View Post
        Guess that means I need new hardware. Not sure how I would connect that DB9 connector to the Zee anyway. So I guess its time to trash the old X10 devices.
        I'm not advocating keeping your X10 gear going but... if you need to, the Zee does support the Trendnet TUS9 USB to Serial adapter cable. We sell that in our store.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Pro and Cons of HomeTroller Zee

I am a little confused about the HomeTroller Zee. Sounds like a really great deal going on right now. Trying to decide if I should upgrade to HS3 pro, or get a HomeTroller Zee.
          I have all X 10 stuff, but want to start updating, it is all so old, but has worked for me with no problems and a good price for X10.
          I hoping some people would give their idea on the pro and cons of this unit. I know one Con is that you can have HS phone on it, as for as I know. A pro to me is it a great green unit, which would us a lot less electric the a big computer.

Just anything you can tell me about the unit, and hope to hear some feedback soon to take advantage of the sell. It just seems like a great unit with everything ready to go. But what can you do or not do with it. Please help me make a suggestion one what I should do. It just seem to me that it has everything HS3 does but HS Phone, and also can not add plug ins.

Thank in advance for any help. Would love to hear from some of you who has one, or some of you who has decided not to and way.
          Thanks again and hope all a Happy and Save Holiday.
          Daniel
          danielbo

Comment

I have one and so far it's ok for an entry level automation controller. I do find myself needing more plugins connected to it, but this version wont allow any plugins except the included X10, ZWave and HSTouch. There is an updated version coming later that will allow plugins.

So far, I have 60 devices, 19 events and 16 ZWave devices. Rich had a post where he has 40 ZWave devices running just fine on his Zee with lots of events. I have a wide variery of ZWave - Aeon Smart Energy switches, multi/motion sensors, GE switches, intermatic modules. Even a couple of the ZWave smoke alarms.

Under the hood, it is the B version of the Raspberry PI running Debian.

Pros:
            OS is included and its free.
            No remote desktop needed - all web access.
            No virus software needed - its linux.
            Negligible power consumption.
            Boots in about a minute.

Cons:
            Might be slightly underpowered with more events.
            No HSPhone - at least not yet.

Overall, you wont go wrong for the price.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I'm pretty happy with mine. I bought the bundle with the thermostat. It was easy to set up it is working great. My savings on heating should pay for the system over time. I also added two door switches and an Aenon Labs Multi sensor.

One door switch is installed on my main entry door. I use it in combination with the motion detection feature of the multisensory to create a simple alarm system if someone enters the house when I'm out I get an email.

I connected the other door switch to the relay output on an old Reporter driveway alarm. I have an event that sends me an email when the driveway alarm is activated.

So for around $400 I have a climate control system that will save me money every year and an alarm system with no monthly fees and no intermediate server to depend on for control of my home . So for the money the Zee is a great system.

Since you have a lot of X10 hardware I think I would get an X10 interface. That would cost less than buying all new devices.

Comment

Yup; here Zee is working fine.

I have tested it both with a few X-10 devices and Z-Wave devices and its done fine.

Just rebooted it such that you can see a base of CPU utilization with HS3 running.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pete; November 30, 2013, 12:50 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Great help!

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                  I have one and so far it's ok for an entry level automation controller. I do find myself needing more plugins connected to it, but this version wont allow any plugins except the included X10, ZWave and HSTouch. There is an updated version coming later that will allow plugins.

So far, I have 60 devices, 19 events and 16 ZWave devices. Rich had a post where he has 40 ZWave devices running just fine on his Zee with lots of events. I have a wide variery of ZWave - Aeon Smart Energy switches, multi/motion sensors, GE switches, intermatic modules. Even a couple of the ZWave smoke alarms.

Under the hood, it is the B version of the Raspberry PI running Debian.

Pros:
                  OS is included and its free.
                  No remote desktop needed - all web access.
                  No virus software needed - its linux.
                  Negligible power consumption.
                  Boots in about a minute.

Cons:
                  Might be slightly underpowered with more events.
                  No HSPhone - at least not yet.

Overall, you wont go wrong for the price.
                  Do you think if you purchase one now when they have the update to be able to add plugins and maybe HSphone, you will be able to update this unit or will it be a complete different unit.
                  Thank you so much for your help, I have been looking for someone to tell me what they think about the unit for a long time, and no replies. Was so excited to see this. Thank you again and hope to hear more from some others.
                  danielbo

Comment

Originally posted by danielbo View Post
                    Do you think if you purchase one now when they have the update to be able to add plugins and maybe HSphone, you will be able to update this unit or will it be a complete different unit.
                    Thank you so much for your help, I have been looking for someone to tell me what they think about the unit for a long time, and no replies. Was so excited to see this. Thank you again and hope to hear more from some others.
                    Thats my understanding - that you will be able to simply upgrade it to allow remote plugins. There would be no real difference in hardware - it's still a Raspberry Pi under the hood. You might fire off an email to Mark at homeseer dotcom and verify with him though.

Here's mine running with its ZTroller. The RPi on the right is not powered up yet. I will probably use it as either a backup or run some external plugins (when available).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thats my understanding - that you will be able to simply upgrade it to allow remote plugins. There would be no real difference in hardware - it's still a Raspberry Pi under the hood. You might fire off an email to Mark at homeseer dotcom and verify with him though.

Here's mine running with its ZTroller. The RPi on the right is not powered up yet. I will probably use it as either a backup or run some external plugins (when available).
                      Rob,

What I don't see in your picture is a connection for your wgl800 ?

Does this mean you can't use x10 palmpads at present ?

I would like to buy a Zee now while on sale but don't want to repurchase later on just to add the wgl800 ?
                      Neil
                      Newmarket Ontario

Comment

Hi Neil - thats because even though the Zee supports X10, it only supports power line control of X10 devices. There is no X10 RF available with the Zee. Thats where I find myself needing to load more plugins - BLRF, ACRF or RFXCOM.

I considered moving to ZWave remotes, but that whole debacle with not being able to have HS3 hear which button was used on a ZWave device is stopping me there too.

The short answer is that on the Zee, there is no way to use handheld remotes of any type until we are able to load plugins.
                        Last edited by rmasonjr; December 1, 2013, 10:39 AM. Reason: words

Comment

So is seems as if you are pretty happy with it. Do you see any cons so far? I have read about it, but not being so incline on technologies other then having homeseer for over 10 years now, I am not finding much about pros and cons. It sounds fine for what I use it for and I still have my homeseer pro 2 for other things I guess if needed. Basically in the new house, I just want something to run some events. Because living out in the country now we have satellite internet and can only use so much a month. Do thing I can have it checking weather, warnings and news updates like I did when I had cable internet. I had different event set up on hs2 where I used the internet a lot, but have to cut way back. Thank for your update, and what a nice set up you have. Looking forward to any comments you have on the unit.
                          danielbo

Comment

Thanks danielbo - the only cons so far are listed above - no HSPhone and it might be a little underpowered if you have a lot of events.

It really depends on your system and what plugins you absolutely cant live without. Make sure the plugins you need will support running remotely, then you can run them on a separate RPi or any other platform.

I have had a couple of instances where the HS3 web interface went completely down. I had to pull power on the Zee to reboot. At the time, I was adding some new ZWave devices, so I suspect HS3 crashed, but I didnt get a chance to look closer.

Comment

A Awlful Time

I had my HomeTroller Zee arrive yesterday, and so far it has been a pain in my fingers. It keeps locking up and I don't even have any events running yet.
                              I can not get connected from my phone. I keep getting an error pop up when I try, but it pops up and off so quick. I looks like it says something about connected but unable to communicate, check homeseer log possible no free connections. Does anyone have an idea?

I also tried to hook up my ActTI103 Computer interface, worked for a little bit, had only a selection of two comports, then it stopped and checked the port and there was about 20 of them listed. Now I have and old cheep HAL brand on there, and at least it worked most of the time.

I know I have the brand trendent usb to serial connector, but with still unpacking from moving, I have not found that one, but did find another brand, wouldn't think that should make a difference. Could be wrong.

Unsure about the port deal? is suggests to use 80 on the set up, but homeseer touch suggest to use 10200.

Looking for any help. Thanks
                              danielbo

Comment

Working...
                              X