Z-Net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wposner View Post
    I deleted all the "Node" devices but now I'm having issues with my door locks not updating. If I manually lock the door, the system still shows it as unlocked. But if I try to lock it through the system, it locks and updates the status correctly. I've tried doing a full network re-optimization with no errors, but my door lock status will still not update correctly.
    Moving the Z-NET and optimizing it alters your routing table (as it should). Before the optimization, communication with your door locks was successful because (a) the locks were within direct range of the Z-NET or (b) locks were communicating through nodes that support beaming. All it takes to upset the apple cart, is for the new routes to include older non-beaming devices. If this happens, communications are incomplete. It can be a delicate balancing act.

Two things to try:
    • Delete and Re-Add the locks where they are. If this doesn't work, you'll need to position the Z-NET close to them... not too hard if you have the optional WiFi adapter. Then re-position the Z-NET and check for operation. If the locks work properly, don't optimize them. If not, try optimizing and cross your fingers!
    • Power off any older modules (if possible) and optimize again. This will create a new route to and from the locks, using the remaining new devices.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Node 1 Info

I just noticed that my Z-wave network shows that node 1 has the name of my SmartStick that was deleted, instead of the Z-Net device. I'm assuming this is not meaningful, as things appear to be working OK. My Schlage locks are kind of 'iffy', but I plan on moving my Znet, once I get a longer cat5e cable.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by macromark; March 5, 2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

My Z-net finally arrived here in Western Canada. Hopefully, I'll have enough time to get it installed this weekend and test it out.

Comment

That's probably the name you gave it originally, try to change it to something else like you change other device names.

Originally posted by TallTM View Post
          I just noticed that my Z-wave network shows that node 1 has the name of my SmartStick that was deleted, instead of the Z-Net device. I'm assuming this is not meaningful, as things appear to be working OK. My Schlage locks are kind of 'iffy', but I plan on moving my Znet, once I get a longer cat5e cable.
          https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Seperate Zwave Network for Vacation house -- Conversion Process

I just ordered a 2nd ZNET to take advantage of its greater range in my Vacation house replacing a Ztroller I have there. I'm trying to figure out what is the best setup and the process to accomplish it.

Option 1 - Same Zwave Network with ZNET devices in each location. This seems to be the easiest to convert to. I just need to set up the ZNET as a secondary controller. [Same as I used secondary Ztrollers in HS2]

Option 2 - Set up separate Zwave networks in each house. The advantage of this approach is that it would be easy to manage 2nd house on a seperate HS system if network outage became a problem. It also means to issues of cross-house Zwave routing issues.

Based on the response below, it seems that the only way to get there is to delete and re-add the devices to the second ZNET device.
            Originally posted by macromark View Post
            No for one very important reason. Each network has a different Home ID and this number is stored in the memory of each node. The only way to change the number in the node is to erase it and then add it to the new network.
            Once that was done I was hoping to replace the old devices with the new ones. However, I can't seem to find the equivalent functionality of the HS2 Tools/Replace Device in HS3. Where is it hidden?

I haven't found a writeup on the selection of setup or the conversion process for setups like this and would appreciate any input.

Comment

I also just purcahsed a znet, which I plan to use to build a new system in a vacation house I recently bought. A write up on the best ways to set up a second home using a remote znet would be really appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrag View Post
                I also just purcahsed a znet, which I plan to use to build a new system in a vacation house I recently bought. A write up on the best ways to set up a second home using a remote znet would be really appreciated.
                if you're going to use Z-NET in a remote location where are your homeseer system does not exist, here is how to set that up: in the remote location where Z-NET will be installed, you'll need to forward router port 2001 to your Z-NET.then you'll need to add a second interface to your homeseer z-wave plugin, select Ethernet as the interface type, type in the wide area network IP address of your secondary location and also type in port number 2001. this should connect the plug in to your remotely installed controller. when you're at the remote location setting up your network there you need to access z-wave plug-in web interface remotely in order to access the add node and remove node functions. this should get you going

Comment

Excellent! Thank you for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by TallTM View Post
                    [SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]I just noticed that my Z-wave network shows that node 1 has the name of my SmartStick that was deleted, instead of the Z-Net device.
                    It's not important. You can rename it.

Comment

Thought I would share my experience with my transition to Z-Net with the forum. I followed the instructions to the letter, except where the instructions tell you to enter an IP address and Port, that is done automatically now. Restored the database and everything seemed to be fine. Further testing revealed that device notifications were no longer updating (i.e. door lock notifications ("Locked by Z-Wave") they just did not appear. The locks worked, just no notifications. I found that all of my devices with Associations were still associated with the old Z-Stick Interface (Node 35) as well as the Z-Net. I attempted to delete the Association and even though it said that it was successfully removed it was still there. Node 35 still existed in the database and I could not delete the node. I finally had to Remove all nodes with Associations (Door Locks, Energy Monitor, Thermostats, and Smoke Detectors) and re-add the devices. Of course this caused all of my events to break and my HSTouch custom screens to be useless. Anyway, after about 6 hours work all seems well with the system now except that I have two nonexistent nodes (35 and 43) that I cannot remove. They do not cause problems but they are in the Node list with errors. I wish there was a way to specify a node number to delete from the database and Interface. I do not really know how my Z-Stick got to be Node 35 and why the Association to it remained during the transition but this issue was a real pain. The system is now very fast and seems to be solid although I do still have to Poll Watts on my energy monitor to get it to update.

Bob

Comment

Bob,

I filed a bug report regarding removing associations but I rebuilt my small network from scratch using the Z-net. I couldn't remove any associations once they were added. This is using the latest Z-wave beta (.210) and the Z-net version 1.09 (I also noticed that my HSM100 is no longer waking to send messages to the controller).

Hopefully this is fixed in the next beta release.

Eric

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
                        Thought I would share my experience with my transition to Z-Net with the forum. I followed the instructions to the letter, except where the instructions tell you to enter an IP address and Port, that is done automatically now. Restored the database and everything seemed to be fine. Further testing revealed that device notifications were no longer updating (i.e. door lock notifications ("Locked by Z-Wave") they just did not appear. The locks worked, just no notifications. I found that all of my devices with Associations were still associated with the old Z-Stick Interface (Node 35) as well as the Z-Net. I attempted to delete the Association and even though it said that it was successfully removed it was still there. Node 35 still existed in the database and I could not delete the node. I finally had to Remove all nodes with Associations (Door Locks, Energy Monitor, Thermostats, and Smoke Detectors) and re-add the devices. Of course this caused all of my events to break and my HSTouch custom screens to be useless. Anyway, after about 6 hours work all seems well with the system now except that I have two nonexistent nodes (35 and 43) that I cannot remove. They do not cause problems but they are in the Node list with errors. I wish there was a way to specify a node number to delete from the database and Interface. I do not really know how my Z-Stick got to be Node 35 and why the Association to it remained during the transition but this issue was a real pain. The system is now very fast and seems to be solid although I do still have to Poll Watts on my energy monitor to get it to update.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
                          Thought I would share my experience with my transition to Z-Net with the forum. I followed the instructions to the letter, except where the instructions tell you to enter an IP address and Port, that is done automatically now. Restored the database and everything seemed to be fine. Further testing revealed that device notifications were no longer updating (i.e. door lock notifications ("Locked by Z-Wave") they just did not appear. The locks worked, just no notifications. I found that all of my devices with Associations were still associated with the old Z-Stick Interface (Node 35) as well as the Z-Net. I attempted to delete the Association and even though it said that it was successfully removed it was still there. Node 35 still existed in the database and I could not delete the node. I finally had to Remove all nodes with Associations (Door Locks, Energy Monitor, Thermostats, and Smoke Detectors) and re-add the devices.
                          Bob
                          The associations issue sound similar to what I have experienced. After migrating my network from ZStick to UZB1 I can't delete associations to node 1, which was the ZStick. I submitted this as bug #2659 if you want to add any comments. Mind you bugzilla appears to have some issues at the moment so I don't know whether anybody else can view bugs I have submitted.
                          Steve

Comment

Slowly but surely, I'm rebuilding my network using the Z-net and HS3. I'd like to add a secondary controller into the mix but it is not another Z-net but a Xuan Stack Box. The Stack Box is a Z-wave Plus certified gateway. Does HS3 and the Z-wave plug-in support this yet? or has anyone else tested adding a non-Homeseer Z-wave plus controller as a secondary in their network?

Comment

Originally posted by chillspace View Post
                              Slowly but surely, I'm rebuilding my network using the Z-net and HS3. I'd like to add a secondary controller into the mix but it is not another Z-net but a Xuan Stack Box. The Stack Box is a Z-wave Plus certified gateway. Does HS3 and the Z-wave plug-in support this yet? or has anyone else tested adding a non-Homeseer Z-wave plus controller as a secondary in their network?
                              I just visited their website. The box appears to be a controller (not an interface) and doesn't appear to be available yet. I couldn't find a listing for it as a Z-Wave Plus certified product either.

Comment

I just don't know about this Z-Net thing. It is a double-edged sword. For those of us who thrive on troubleshooting and analyzing problems, the Z-Net has spoiled my party. I haven't had anything to do. I'm bored and will have to look for a new project to take my time. Good Job HS.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X