Getting Started with BLDSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Started with BLDSC

I am an existing HS3 user. I am currently using Mark Sandler's Insteon plugin for my lights and Kingfetty's plugin for my Chamberlain garage door opener. We are going to upgrade our existing DSC system and I am looking at connecting the two systems.

Before I get too far down the road, I am looking for some installation instructions. Specifically, do I have to use a Serial port between the computer and the DSC system? The hardware that I have today only has USB ports. Is there a way to make this work?

Thanks for your help

Brian

Can you please provide more information on what is your current alarm and the integration module (model).

There are two primary integration modules available that are commonly used in Home Automation , the IT100 and the Envisalink (EVL) generation of products.

The BLDSC has traditionally used the IT100; however, in a recent post, it was indicate support for the EVL as well but you will need this to be confirmed. They both deliver the same capability to HS, however, the EVL has other advantages in comparison to the IT100

DSC IT-100 (Serial) integration module was the initial interface to enable third-party applications and system to communicate with Power Series control panels. The DSC IT100 provides an RS232 serial connection that can be either connected directly to your Computer/system
    Envisalink EVL(n) (Network attached) directly is connected to your home network. The EVL4 has an internal web portal, is firmware upgradable and can provide external access via the Eyes-on site or various mobile phone applications. More details can be found at Eyez-On which includes detailed specifications and reviews

Comment

Thank you for getting back to me. Installer wants to put in the DSC PC1832 unit. I see that HomeSeer has a TL260 board on their Web site. Do you know if that board also works with Blade's plugin? Are there any advantages of the TL260 vs Envisalink 4??

Brian

Comment

The TL260 is an alarm communicator not the same.

Comment

Have a quick look at this thread which contains comments from both the developers of the DSC apps:

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180753

Comment

WRT the DSC PC8132 it is a solid unit and will integrate well albeit with the IT100 or EVLx.

The EVL offers other external services that you may wish to look at including home monitoring, sms, integration with other devices etc. this then make the need for separate monitoring and the IT260 redundant.

The IT100 has been rock solid unit for god knows how long now and was the real step forward to integrate with HA.

When your planning think outside the box as the more you learn, the more you'll want to integrate and reuse sensor to trigger Event based actions. I.e occupied turn lights on, unoccupied turn on fan to extra fumes. Sorry for the toilet humour.

Thus deepened on sizes or residence, budget, scope of integration, this should determine the best fit panel. And it does have to be DSC either. So, if the intent is to continue to expand, the PC1864 may be a good fit, whereby a small unit may only require a 1816.

There a too many options available that can be overwhelming in the first instance but break it down into smaller use case that fit your needs.

Comment

Working...
            X