Moving HS3 installation from one computer to another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving HS3 installation from one computer to another

I am currently running HS3 in a Linux VM. I want to move the install to another VM that is running Windows 10.

What steps do i need to take to ensure I don't run into licensing issues?

Do I need to deactivate on the present machine first?

Do I need to do any steps to ensure that MyHS knows that I've moved the instance to another machine?

I also assume that I can run a backup, and then restore to new machine once I've completed to swapover.

Thanks!

Licenseing won't be an issue as you can have windows and linux share your key. The problem you will run into is converting from linux to windows. Unless things have changed since I have been out of the loop, it isn't an easy task and as such if you really want to move to windows from linux, it might be better to start over depending on how big your setup is.

MyHS will follow without issue.

Comment

++ Waynehed99

Linux to Linux is easy and it is literally just the Homeseer directory.

Today run Oracle Windows Virtual boxes on my Linux Ubuntu 64 bit set up. Linux runs the meat of Homeseer and I side load Windows only Homeseer stuff in the VB's. Easy to do. Just run the executible in windows and point it to the IP of the Homeseer server. I tested doing this with Spud's Kinect plugin and it worked great. (Kinect / SAPI ran on Windows 10 32 bit and talked to Homeseer 3 running on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit). Today have 4 instances of Windows Speaker dot exe running on one Windows Server VB (with multiple SAPI Voice fonts). These speech fonts / speaker dot exe's provide SAPI voices to the two Homeseer 3 boxes running on Linux today.

Linux to Windows or Windows to Linux is more difficult relating to but hopefully maybe now working back up stuff on the Homeseer GUI. (all of the DBs).

What you can try maybe is first a Linux Homeseer directory copy to a Windows Directory copy then an Windows HS3 update on the copied directory. Nomenclature stuff will be different.

Run them both. Keep the Linux HS3 running while concurrently play with the Windows HS3 copy to see what you can get running.

If it becomes a timely matter then just build from scratch as Wayne mentions above.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

One thing I did notice when I tried this (I want to move from windows to linux), my events with scripts wouldn't work because they were showing the script location to be c:\program files..... and that doesn't exist in linux. Since about 90 percent of my events run scripts, to manually change this was more than I cared to try and do, so I am still on windows right now.

I did try going into the database file to see if I could change there, but the data is stored in a blob that I can't read.

Comment

You can read the databases and change them.

Copy them out to a USB stick. Rename them to using a SQLite format then after tweaking rename them to the HS3 DB format.

.hsd <==> .sqlite or .db3 < ==> .hsd note the format is not OS specific rather it is database specific.

Much of the SQLite management software is free for Windows or Linux.

I have fixed some HS3 databases using this software. You can see all of your events / variables there.

This fixing was relating to ghost variables and events that I could not delete via the HS3 GUI.

I do not think there are references to nomenclature in the DB's.

Relating to scripts though and references you would need to change these going to Linux from Windows.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X