Flood cam go boom??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flood cam go boom??

Kind of long, but hopefully you'll read the whole thing as I feel the need to explain...

OK, I'm a tinker-er.

I am a Computer Engineer, generally roped into stuff related to EE stuff (that is non-microelectronics).

As such, I get dangerous with stuff...Basically I like to take things apart.

So, I thought I was going to have a few flood cams (Vt38A??) around the house.

I hate wireless video.

So, I opened up one of my Flood Cams. Took a look at it. Based on research and "what-not" basically there is a single control board, a single Sensor board, and a single RF board.

The RF board is the same RF board that all X10 wireless cameras use.

Based on silk screen I took the "video" driver wire OUT of that board. The driver wire did NOT have a COM. The RF board only had 3 wires going into it. So I also removed the 12VDC wires. Removed two screws and "pop" the RF video board board is gone.

Next step...take the 12V + wire and put heat shrink on it. Next, cut one end off of an RCA cable that I had laying around.

Attach video ground to the 12V COM.

Connect Video driver line (it's a yellow line in the Flood Cam I opened up) to the center conductor of the RCA cable.

Re-package. Open back up, realizing there was no strain relief to the video cable I added. Put a fireman's figure-8 knot. Test, good to go. Re-package.
    Remove X10 flood light from mount near garage door.

Add in flood cam. Try to fit RCA jack through hole in wall. Go get screw gun and large drill bit. Widen hole. Test RCA cable. Good to Go. Re-attach Flood Cam.

Plug in power. Good to go. Based on settings, the flood lights come on when there is motion. Ok, get sacraficial TV. Try to plug RCA jack in to TV. No go...too short. Take apart wires from entertainment center. Add length to RCA cable for test. TV shows surprisingly good image (at least for a X10 camera).
    Spend 30 min. with wife walking around pointing camera. All is well.

Next Day:

My server is located in the crawl space. So, if I drill a hole 4" off the ground in my garage, I can punch right into the ceiling of the crawlspace. So, I did.
    Next, I ran an ethernet wire from the server to the Flood Cam's rear side (inside).

I had made RCA to Ethernet convertor boxes. Basically take a ethernet juntion box, and solder RCA jacks to it. I have used this box with 100' lengths of ethernet with VCRs to TVs for experiments. The picture (to me) looks identical as running it over 5' RCA cables. I have also used this VCR with 35' RCA cable lengths...yeah, the picture sucks...so, I figure I stumbled on one of those magic impedance settings...

So, I plug the ethernet cable into one box. Then plug the video cable in. Then I decide, well, I need to put the connector on the other end of the ethernet as well. Better to NOT work with a live wire. So, I unplug the ethernet cable.
    I go into the crawlspace. Add my connector. Verify on my PPC that the color order is correct. So, I plug the ethernet to RCA box in, and plug an RCA cable into the box. Then I realize that my 4 port Video capture card uses BNCs...dammnit...where are my BNC to RCA convertors...

I go back up to the garage, plug in the ethernet cable up there. Then head back to the office upstairs. Get my BNC to RCA convertors. Go back into the crawspace. Put the convertors on the video ports. Then, I plug the RCA jack into the PC. I get the tip in, all is good. I finish plugging in and I see a spark come out of my convertor box!!

I quickly unplug everything!!

My results:

it seemed as though I was shorting 120VAC (something arched) across the ethernet lines as BOTH pins in the RJ45 jeck that were handling the video line on my box were melted back. The Cable end is blackened. I go to the garage. The box there is nearly undamaged. One pin is slightly heat stressed (it's blue so it got hot, but did not melt off).

The flood cam is dead. It will no longer respond to X10 commands, no video. If you plug it into the wall, the lights just stay on forever. No response.

So...my question, has anyone else done this? Am I missing something? Should I just sell the rest of these and get something else? Is there something else like this?

Do I need to get a video isolator (I've used these on Huge security installations where I've used this guy:
    http://www.criticalimaging.net/SR-700.htm ... by the way, I designed some of the electronics in that bad boy, and wrote the control code!)

(maybe my video capture card's ground is not floating as the TV's was?? Hence the Floodcam's ground is really nuetral as most X10 things are... so I did kill it??)?
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

I did some research on the thing. Basically, the video output was not isolated, as X10 was FCC compliant due to using a RF layer to isolate everything. So, when I plugged in the TV, the TV must have been isolated and everything was fine. However, when I plugged this in to my PC, the PC must not have been isolated. As such, I dragged the camera from it's Common (Neutral as most X10 devices are) to the PC's common through the video card. BING, one dead camera.

Basically, had the camera been powered by a wall wart instead of directly off the AC line, my isolation layer would have been the floating Wall wart output, instead of hard to Neutral.

All because there wasn't a $0.50 cap. Oh well. Now I know.

I suppose I'll just sell the last working Flood Cam that I have as I don't want to risk killing my server.

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Covert a wireless x10 Floodcam to a wired camera?

Has anyone had any success in converting the x10 FloodCam to a wired unit?

I'm ready to trash mine because of all the interference. I have never gotten a clean usable picture...

Comment

Originally posted by tpraines View Post
        Has anyone had any success in converting the x10 FloodCam to a wired unit?

I'm ready to trash mine because of all the interference. I have never gotten a clean usable picture...
        I had the same issue but once I moved my wireless router to channel 11 (the highest channel it offered), my interference subsided substantially.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'd never run across this thread before. Very entertaining drozwood90. You're lucky you didn't get yourself electrocuted, or fry the PC. This should serve as a warning to others.
          I'd thought, only thought, of doing something similar but just never bothered. Now I'm glad I didn't.
          X10 stuff is built on the cheap, so I'm not surprised the camera wasn't isolated.
          The picture on these wireless cameras is pathetic in my opinion. I have a closet full of them, complete with ninja bases, as well as a couple of flood cams, gathering dust. I probably should sell them, but having said this, who'd buy?
          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
            I'd never run across this thread before. Very entertaining drozwood90. You're lucky you didn't get yourself electrocuted, or fry the PC. This should serve as a warning to others.
            I'd thought, only thought, of doing something similar but just never bothered. Now I'm glad I didn't.
            X10 stuff is built on the cheap, so I'm not surprised the camera wasn't isolated.
            The picture on these wireless cameras is pathetic in my opinion. I have a closet full of them, complete with ninja bases, as well as a couple of flood cams, gathering dust. I probably should sell them, but having said this, who'd buy?
            If they are cheap enough and wide eye, I'd take them. I use them and have had decent luck.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I was wide eye when I bought them, but the cams aren't. Just run o' the mill X-Cams. Not even sure how many of da suckers I've got. They're buried in the closet with all the other abandoned projects.
              Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

You are lucky! Today for my cams I use a separate PS in a box with multiple outs on it (each of the outputs are fused). They used to be expensive but now I think you can find them for around $50. I power the cams via balums or simese cables. I never played with X-10 Cams. In the 90's played with wireless and settled on 802.XX around 2000 or so and didn't really like it that much. I use BNC connectors for just about every connection. Today the 8-port/8-chip video card just has small little heat sinks on it as it gets warm - the earlier module (which is now a hot spare) video card never needed heat sinks and sat in the server over two years running 24/7.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Wade,

{hat tip}

;-)

--Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X