www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Media Plug-ins > Media Discussion > Media Controller Plug-in (3P)

Media Controller Plug-in (3P) Discussion of Media Controller DLNA-Manager Plug-in

Old April 4th, 2012, 12:19 AM
OverSeer

New beta v.05 posted

Changes to beta v05

• The TCP/IP connection for the remote wasn't automatically re-established when the TV was power off/on or an error in the socket happened
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Super Seer

Sammy TV control: VB Script for IP / Serial to switch on TV

Hi dcorsus et al.

I just discovered this thread and wanted to share some info on a project that drule and I have been working on, itself based on pjnewman's code/post on SamyGo

We have also been working to solve the lack of integration IP/Serial control that many other manufacturers deem useful for their customers, but Samsung seems to think is unnecessary. drule has converted pjnewman's code to a vb script (code below) that can be called by an HS event to control the Sammy TVs (I believe all C & D series and fully operational on my UN55C8000). We also have a universal IP/Serial plugin in late stage testing that we hope to post soon. I have this listening to commands from iRule (iPhone/iPad etc) and triggering events using the Sammy script. The Optional Parameters of the event are configured in the following format ("Main","KEY_TOOLS"), including parentheses, where the "KEY_TOOLS" is the key that you want to send. The keys are already published in this thread.

There are some basic and hopefully self-explanatory comments in the code below for configuration of your TV IP address, HS Host MAC address and HS Host IP address. The code does handle the initial registration of the HS IP remote with the TV and is essentially just pretending to be the Sammy iPhone app. There have been several iterations already to the code to handle various situations and we used a lot of wireshark captures to troubleshoot. Please feel free to use/modify. We had designs on turning this in to a plugin but will probably now not duplicate the efforts of dcorsus We'll focus on the other plugins so that we can get those out to the community.

Code:
Imports System.Net.Sockets
    Const mType As String = "drhs_SamsungTV"
    Const tvip As String = "1.1.1.1"      'Set a static IP address for your TV  and edit this string to match that.
    Const tvport As Int32 = 55000      'This is the standard port that the TV listens on.  Do not change it.
    Const mymac = "00-00-00-00-00-00"     ' Enter your HS host MAC address here.  This is used for the access control/validation, but not after that AFAIK
    Const appstring = "iphone..iapp.samsung" ' What the iPhone app reports
    Const tvappstring = "iphone.UN55C8000.iapp.samsung" ' Might need changing to match your TV type
    Const remotename = "Homeseer Samsung Remote" ' What gets reported when it asks for permission/also shows in General->Wireless Remote Control menu

Public Sub Main(ByVal Params As Object)
        If Params IsNot Nothing Then
            Dim tcpClient As New System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient()
            tcpClient.Connect(tvip, tvport)
            Dim networkStream As NetworkStream = tcpClient.GetStream()
            If networkStream.CanWrite Then
                Dim Messagepart3 As String = ""
                Dim ByteArrayOut() As Byte = StrToByteArray(MessagePart1)
                networkStream.Write(ByteArrayOut, 0, ByteArrayOut.Length)
                ByteArrayOut = StrToByteArray(MessagePart2)
                Dim argv As String() = Params.ToString.Split("|")
                If Left(UCase(argv(0)),4) = "KEY_" Then
                    Dim mp3 As String = Chr(0) & Chr(0) & Chr(0) & Chr(Len(Base64Encode(argv(0)))) & Chr(0) & Base64Encode(argv(0))
                    MessagePart3 = Chr(0) & Chr(Len(tvappstring)) & Chr(0) & tvappstring & Chr(Len(mp3)) & Chr(0) & mp3
                Else
                    Dim mp3 As String = Chr(1) & Chr(0) & Chr(0) & Chr(Len(Base64Encode(argv(0)))) & Chr(0) & Base64Encode(argv(0))
                    MessagePart3 = Chr(1) & Chr(Len(tvappstring)) & Chr(0) & tvappstring & Chr(Len(mp3)) & Chr(0) & mp3
                End If
                ByteArrayOut = StrToByteArray(MessagePart3)
                networkStream.Close()
                tcpClient.Close()
            End If
        End If
    End Sub

Private Function MessagePart1() As String
        'Dim myip As String = hs.GetIPAddress ' Doesn't seem to be really used
        Dim myip as String = "2.2.2.2"   'Set your HS Host IP address here
        Dim messagepart1x As String = Chr(&H64) & Chr(0) & Chr(Len(Base64Encode(myip))) & Chr(0) & Base64Encode(myip) & Chr(Len(Base64Encode(mymac))) & Chr(0) & Base64Encode(mymac) & Chr(Len(Base64Encode(remotename))) & Chr(0) & Base64Encode(remotename)
        Dim part1 As String = Chr(0) & Chr(Len(appstring)) & Chr(0) & appstring & Chr(Len(messagepart1x)) & Chr(0) & messagepart1x
        Return part1
    End Function

Private Function MessagePart2() As String
        Dim messagepart2x As String = Chr(&HC8) & Chr(0)
        Dim part2 As String = Chr(0) & Chr(Len(appstring)) & Chr(0) & appstring & Chr(Len(messagepart2x)) & Chr(0) & messagepart2x
        Return part2
    End Function

Private Function Base64Encode(ByVal InputString As String)
        Dim byt As Byte() = System.Text.Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(InputString)
        Return Convert.ToBase64String(byt)
    End Function

Private Function StrToByteArray(str As String) As Byte()
	Dim ByteArray(Len(str)-1) as Byte
	For n As Short = 0 To UBound(ByteArray)
		ByteArray(n) = Asc(Mid(str,n + 1,1))
	Next
	Return ByteArray
    End Function
How to switch the TV on.
As many have discovered there is no way to turn on most of the Sammy TVs using IP (their own iPhone app can't do it!). However, you can turn on many of them using a serial command via the ex-link port. There is a lot of chat about having to switch on Hotel Mode via the extended menus but that certainly wasn't necessary on my C8000. You can buy a Serial to 3.5mm cable with the correct pin-outs from Amazon. I actually have a custom 3.5mm to RJ45 cable at the TV end, then a standard CAT5 run to the wiring closet and a RJ45 to Serial cable at the HS server end. Thanks again drule for the custom cables

The correct serial string is: 0x08 0x22 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x02 0xd4 I am sending this using the same universal IP/Serial plugin that I mentioned above. There are several more basic serial commands posted on various forums, but I am only using the Power On, preferring to use the much wider range of controls available over IP.

That's about it. Thanks again to dcorsus for his plugin and drule/pjnewman for the script.
Old April 5th, 2012, 10:38 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryfool View Post
How to switch the TV on.
As many have discovered there is no way to turn on most of the Sammy TVs using IP (their own iPhone app can't do it!). However, you can turn on many of them using a serial command via the ex-link port. There is a lot of chat about having to switch on Hotel Mode via the extended menus but that certainly wasn't necessary on my C8000. You can buy a Serial to 3.5mm cable with the correct pin-outs from Amazon. I actually have a custom 3.5mm to RJ45 cable at the TV end, then a standard CAT5 run to the wiring closet and a RJ45 to Serial cable at the HS server end. Thanks again drule for the custom cables
Thanks cheeryfool for your posting. Isn't it a bummer that most devices don't have an implementation to turn them on, despite the fact that the IR port and Serial ports are active in standby mode. To add insult to injury, I have a Sony Network Media Player SMP-N200, which has a mode to "fast power up". As per their help, when set to on, the device comes on quicker but uses more power in standby mode. Upon investigation, I can see that the Ethernet port remains active, I can ping the device when powered down. However, its UPnP interface is down, it is not responding to WOL packets so what good is it doing (uurgghh).

The same Samsung Remote functions are added to my other plugin (DLNA Manager), the newer Samsung TVs do have a UPnP interface and through that some other basic functions like volume, contrast can be set and you would know what they are set to.

I wonder if anybody has used the message service that was built in, I guess in absence of a help file, it might be hard to figure out. What i couldn't figure out on my UNC8000 was how to pull up messages, delete them etc.

Cheers,

Dirk
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorsus View Post
Rasmus, give the new beta a try, if that still doesn't do it, turn superdebug on and email me in private the hs logfile.

Dirk
Just tested.
But it didn't change anything.
I've sent you the logfile. But it seems it doesn't se it at all.

Rasmus
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:27 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrunner View Post
Just tested.
But it didn't change anything.
I've sent you the logfile. But it seems it doesn't se it at all.

Rasmus
Rasmus, the log you sent me doesn't show a bluray at all, so you either have not turned remote allowance on in the blu-ray settings, or it is not network connected or it is not DLNA capable. Did you android phone find it by itself or did you have to tell it what IP adress it has? Is does not respond to SSDP which is as basic DLNA as it gets. So check settings on that box, see if you can ping its IP address from the PC you run this plugin on, try to power cycle it (mine seem to get stuck on occasion and it only come out of it by physically removing the power).

What model number is the BR?

It does show an active connection to a Samsung TV

Dirk
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Seer

Quote:
Rasmus, the log you sent me doesn't show a bluray at all, so you either have not turned remote allowance on in the blu-ray settings, or it is not network connected or it is not DLNA capable. Did you android phone find it by itself or did you have to tell it what IP adress it has? Is does not respond to SSDP which is as basic DLNA as it gets. So check settings on that box, see if you can ping its IP address from the PC you run this plugin on, try to power cycle it (mine seem to get stuck on occasion and it only come out of it by physically removing the power).

What model number is the BR?

It does show an active connection to a Samsung TV

Dirk
Hey Dirk.

My android phone found it by itself.
I can ping it from the pc.
I have tried to power cycle it.
I have only found one setting for remote allowance and it's on.

The model is: HT-D6750

By the way it's a "Home Theater" system and not just a BlueRay player, but I still think it should be possible ?

And yep the tv is working fine

Rasmus
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:27 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Hey Dirk.

My android phone found it by itself.
I can ping it from the pc.
I have tried to power cycle it.
I have only found one setting for remote allowance and it's on.

The model is: HT-D6750

By the way it's a "Home Theater" system and not just a BlueRay player, but I still think it should be possible ?

And yep the tv is working fine

Rasmus
Rasmus, doing some googling right now, saw it advertized somewhere as DLNA all-share compliant so I'm a bit mystified as why UPNP doesn't discover it. You sure it was turned on when you did the discovery

If it is a home theater, you may be better off installing the DLNA-Manager, but if UPnP doesn't "see" it, neither will the DLNA plugin so we need to figure out why.

Do you by any chance have a Win7 machine on the same Lan? If so, does it show up under your network devices and/or show up in Windows Media Player (v12 required and right options set to discover/control other devices).

Dirk
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Seer

Hey

Just tried to other dlna apps (Skifta & iMediaShare).

They can't see the HT-D6750 either.

So it's only Samsung own app that can see it...
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:00 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Hey

Just tried to other dlna apps (Skifta & iMediaShare).

They can't see the HT-D6750 either.

So it's only Samsung own app that can see it...
They would still need some mechanism to "find" the device. Wonder what sort of broadcast mechanism they use.
Googling didn't show anything

Dirk
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Super Seer

Dirk
I finally had a chance to install and play with the Remote Plugin yesterday. After a couple of dumb missed steps (forgetting to turn the TV on!! / granting access to the new 'remote' via the TV UI) I see the 2 devices and a lot of buttons on Remote Service device.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I don't see a button for the "Internet @TV" menu. However, I am not sure which of the 'KEY_xxxx' commands brings this up anyway. Do you know? Perhaps KEY_ENTERTAINMENT or KEY_APP_LIST. I'll give it a shot from my plugin tonight to see if I can figure out which one it is.

2. When I go to add an event, I don't see the Samsung Remote in the 'Add Action' dropdown. Many other plugins show directly in this list and then you can choose the actual command (a list of buttons for this plugin). I also tried the generic 'Device Action' option and when I choose the Samsung Remote, it just gives me the On/Off commands.
Do you think that something didn't install correctly, or perhaps this is on the to-do or wish lists?

I know I can use the script that you provided (or the one that we built) but being able to directly call the commands from an event is definitely something that I would like to be able to do.

Many thanks
James 'Cheeryfool'
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:57 AM
OverSeer

Hi James, good to read you got it to work. As to your questions:

Quote:
1. I don't see a button for the "Internet @TV" menu. However, I am not sure which of the 'KEY_xxxx' commands brings this up anyway. Do you know? Perhaps KEY_ENTERTAINMENT or KEY_APP_LIST. I'll give it a shot from my plugin tonight to see if I can figure out which one it is.
I'd recommend that you try them one at the time, it could be that it is one of the keycodes that I did not convert into a button (see list posted above) so you may have to script it and figure out the right code. Maybe on SammyGo there is some posting. If you do find it, post it here so other users have some benefit of the information.

Quote:
2. When I go to add an event, I don't see the Samsung Remote in the 'Add Action' dropdown. Many other plugins show directly in this list and then you can choose the actual command (a list of buttons for this plugin). I also tried the generic 'Device Action' option and when I choose the Samsung Remote, it just gives me the On/Off commands.
Do you think that something didn't install correctly, or perhaps this is on the to-do or wish lists?

I know I can use the script that you provided (or the one that we built) but being able to directly call the commands from an event is definitely something that I would like to be able to do.
I have not coded any trigger or conditions, I need to have a look at the devices, because I would assume they would show up, is that what you mean by on/off?

Dirk
Old April 11th, 2012, 02:25 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
To get to Internet@TV, the key code is KEY_RSS. Will add a button in next beta.

Quote:
Actually thought I knew HS better, I need to add more code for this . So next Beta.

Dirk
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
I'd recommend that you try them one at the time, it could be that it is one of the keycodes that I did not convert into a button (see list posted above) so you may have to script it and figure out the right code. Maybe on SammyGo there is some posting. If you do find it, post it here so other users have some benefit of the information.
I went through about 30 of the KEY_ commands last night that could have had a chance of being the right one with no luck. However, I did discover the KEY_CONTENTS followed by KEY_ENTER achieves the same (at least on the UN55C8000), so I have a work around.

Of course I HAVE to figure out the discrete command, now that I've started! I tried Wiresharking just this command from the native iApp, but I must have had something incorrect in my setup as I was only able to capture the ack back from the TV to the iPhone and not the outbound request. I did figure out how to decode the Base64 string from my script, so at least I should be able to do the same once I have the Wireshark config capturing the outbound packets from the iPhone. I will post any further discoveries.

Quote:
I have not coded any trigger or conditions, I need to have a look at the devices, because I would assume they would show up, is that what you mean by on/off?
It is device actions that I am not seeing. If I create a new event and go directly to the Actions tab, then click in the "Add Action" drop-down, I don't see anything in there for the Remote Plugin. I do see the standard HS actions plus a lot of actions for other Plugins that I have installed. I was hoping to see a Samsung Remote device in that list and then, when selected, for that to populate a sub list of device actions - one for each of the commands that you have created buttons for. Does that make sense?

Thanks again
James
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Seer Deluxe

Hi All, I have been using this plung-in for a bit and wanted to pass along some info. Right now the plug-in sees my new Samsung e8000 TV and also my new Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-EM59C). I have not had too much time to test but some of the function buttons work and some don't. It would be much better if the plug-in allowed the user to build / specify the buttons that are displayed and assign key codes to them. Right now the list does not match very well with either device. Also, the plugin seems to have crashed HS a few times, output below in case it helps with trouble shooting. Interested in this working but I don't have too much time to help beta test it....

4/7/2012 6:05:42 PM
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.1.42:55000
HomeSeer version: 2.5.0.49
Source: System
Target: Void EndConnect(System.IAsyncResult)
Stack trace:
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at HSPI_SAMSUNGREMOTE.AsynchronousClient.ConnectCallback(IAsync Result ar)
at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.CompleteCallback(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWi thGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionConte xt executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.ConnectCallback()
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.RegisteredWaitCallback(Object state, Boolean timedOut)
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitOrTimerCallback.PerformWaitO rTimerCallback(Object state, Boolean timedOut)

Please specify what you were doing at the time of this error:
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
To get to Internet@TV, the key code is KEY_RSS. Will add a button in next beta.

Actually thought I knew HS better, I need to add more code for this . So next Beta.

Dirk
Sorry, didn't see this response before I sent my other one a few minutes back!

Of course, KEY_RSS wasn't one that I tried.

Thanks for the updates. Let me know when you have a new version and I will give it a good testing.

I also had one instance of HS crashing - I think because of the plugin. If I see it again, I will capture the logs and send.
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcoscia View Post
Hi All, I have been using this plung-in for a bit and wanted to pass along some info. Right now the plug-in sees my new Samsung e8000 TV and also my new Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-EM59C). I have not had too much time to test but some of the function buttons work and some don't. It would be much better if the plug-in allowed the user to build / specify the buttons that are displayed and assign key codes to them. Right now the list does not match very well with either device. Also, the plugin seems to have crashed HS a few times, output below in case it helps with trouble shooting. Interested in this working but I don't have too much time to help beta test it....

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.1.42:55000
Stack trace:
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWi thGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionConte xt executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.RegisteredWaitCallback(Object state, Boolean timedOut)
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitOrTimerCallback.PerformWaitO rTimerCallback(Object state, Boolean timedOut)

Which OS are you using? Did it happen when you clicked a button or when nothing was happening?

Last edited by dcorsus; April 11th, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:25 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
I also had one instance of HS crashing - I think because of the plugin. If I see it again, I will capture the logs and send.
Which OS are you running this on? Did it happen when you clicked a button or when nothing was happening?

Last edited by dcorsus; April 11th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old April 11th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Seer Deluxe

I was clicking a button (pretty sure I was) - running Windows 7 Pro 64bit, hardware platform is Apple MacBookAir w/ 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor & 4GB memory - NOTE: Running Windows 7 via boot camp. I'm concurrently running Vitamin D (IP camera software). Other (nonstandard) Plug-in's running are:

* ADIO-100
* UltraWeatherBug
* Sonos Controller
* UltraPioneerAVR

This has happened twice - both time I was trying a few of the different default buttons....
Old April 11th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Which OS are you running this on? Did it happen when you clicked a button or when nothing was happening?
XP Pro. It happened when I wasn't using the plugin. I tried to dim my lights using HS Touch from the iPhone and nothing happened. Remoted on to the HS box and found a crash pop-up dialog. I was just looking for the log entries but couldn't find it. If I see it again, I will be sure to capture the screenshot of the pop-up and/or log entries.
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:00 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcoscia View Post
Also, the plugin seems to have crashed HS a few times, output below in case it helps with trouble shooting. Interested in this working but I don't have too much time to help beta test it....

Stack trace:

Found the issue, will be fixed in next upcoming beta (v06)

Dirk