icloud updates of child devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

icloud updates of child devices

I have three devices all using icloud accounts to determine location. One of these shows it is not near our home (in that the near to hone child device is set to not near and yet it shows on the nearest known place that it is 0.004 miles from our home.

One of the other devices shows it as 0.162 miles away with a different address and shows it as near to home which I suspect is the location where it triggered the geofence. However despite being at home for a couple of days the GPS latitude and longitude and hence location has not updated.

Both devices are set to update if set but not changed but it looks like once they have a setting they do not update. Is there a way to force a device to update the various child devices or is this something that you are thinking about as part of the next update?

Steve

There is currently no way to force a manual update of child devices.
    All updates for position based devices are done by the same routine regardless of the type of service (iCloud or Backitude etc).

When a new location comes in, the first thing it does it check to see if it is a valid location before any devices are updated.

The parameters entered on the PHL tab of the root device of each user are used for this:
    1. Minimum distance to move from previous saved location.
    2. Maximum speed. This is used to prevent rogue coordinates from updating devices.
    3. Minimum accuracy. Accuracy of the fix must be below this value for an update to occur.

If all 3 of the above are satisfied then a "new location" update will occur.
    If 2 and 3 are satisfied, 1 is not satisfied but the new fix accuracy is below that of the last stored accuracy then a "more accurate" update will occur.

The only difference is that "more accurate" update type will not reset the time at location device to 0 nor will it update the time of the last stored location..

Once the new location has got through those checks, it then goes on to update the child devices for the associated user.

Can you do this as a test:
    1. Set debug level to 2 on the general config tab.
    2. Open the root device of the problem user and on the PHL tab set:
    Min dist to move to 0.001
    Ignore if speed > to 600 MPH or 1000 KMH
    Ignore if accuracy > to 3000
    Hit the save button when done editing.
    3. Hit the force update button for the problem account.

You should get a whole bunch of log entries as it processes the update. Can you email me those log entries and I'll take a look.

Set debug level back to off when done.

WRT to the near home device not correctly updating.
    This may be due to the fact that updates are not getting through to the user device or it could be that the common place has somehow become disconnected from that user.

Lets see if we can establish anything from the above test before looking deeper into that.

Paul..

Comment

Paul, I did as you suggested and all devices are now showing as I expect them to. I will leave the lower level of movement .001 and see how that works for me. I will send you the log separately if you still want.

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X