What happens if a z-wave fails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if a z-wave fails?

This winter, I am going to use a z-wave module to turn on a heating tape that prevents a pipe from freezing when the temperature drops below 10 degrees. What happens if the z-wave module would fail? Is there an error message sent by the z-stick? Can I trigger an event (send me an email) based on a z-wave failure?

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

I dont think there is an event trigger for a failed 'poll' or failed 'status change', but you can trigger on the device status changing to "unknown" which I think means that HS couldnt get the status of the device.

If you are using a z-wave module, you could test this by setting up a poll interval, then unplugging the module to see if the event triggers.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Steve,

You could also monitor the log. Polls show up in there as failed.

--Dan
      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Thanks. I don't know what kind of message would be sent? I see the following message all the time.

9/21/2011 1:42:42 PM Warning Aborting Z-Wave send, taking too long to send command to node 6 waited 6 seconds

But this is not an indication the device is not working, because it always responds to ON/OFF commands?

What kind of message would indicate a z-wave device is dead or the power to it is off?

Steve Q
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

The device most likely can't send a message if it fails. You'll need to do what rmason suggested a few posts above... Simulate failure by unplugging a module, polling it and see what you get. Experiment with a couple of device types if you can to see what they do. For instance, you see this message:

9/21/2011 1:42:42 PM Warning Aborting Z-Wave send, taking too long to send command to node 6 waited 6 seconds

Maybe you will get that 1 - 3 times, worst case, on a working module before you can confirm that its really working. Your logic would then be to count > 3 times as a sign of failure. Or timing. You can't talk to it for x minutes, therefor failure is assumed.

Paul
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
            Thanks. I don't know what kind of message would be sent? I see the following message all the time.

But this is not an indication the device is not working, because it always responds to ON/OFF commands?

What kind of message would indicate a z-wave device is dead or the power to it is off?

Steve Q

If I can remember to do it tonight, I can unplug a Z-Wave module, attempt to control it, then post back the message I get in the logs...

Comment

Here's the message when trying to control a lamp module when it is unplugged:
              Attached Files

Comment

OK, I unplugged the module and sent an ON command to it. I got the error message:

9/21/2011 10:17:39 PM Error Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Sun Room Z-Wave

This is good. I have never seen this error before.

So if a circuit breaker kicks off, the z-wave devices on that circuit will generate errors. I can use Rupp's log monitor plugin to trigger an e-mail. I will also use a current monitor to show me when the heater is ON. This should give me a fairly robust monitoring system for the pipe heater.

Thanks,
                Steve Q

Comment

Working...
                X