Which Controller to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Controller to buy

If you were to buy a new controller with the exception of the HomeTroller S6 PRO. Which one would you buy and why ?

Here testing Homeseer Pro and Homeseer Lite in Linux.

Homeseer Lite (Zee2) initially was run on a RPi2 / Wheezy / Jessie.
    Over time went to testing it on two newer computers and switched from RPi builds of Linux to Ubuntu Server 64 bit.

1 - Rpi2 running Wheezy / Jessie - 16Gb micro SD card. Used Samsung 16Gb SD cards.
    Over time both micro SD cards went bad. Odd that they locked up where as I could read the cards fine but the lock bit was set such that I could not write to the cards. I replaced the cards with SanDisk 16Gb micro SD cards. I did keep the Samsung cards and Samsung did replace the two cards with 32Gb microSD cards as they have a lifetime warranty. I had not had any issues to date using SanDisk cards. (have 4 RPi's running doing this or that - but not Homeseer these days).

2 - A couple of years ago purchased an XiS Xi5A micro PC. This is a dual AMD / 2Gb cube. Homeseer Lite has run fine on this computer now for about 2 years. I leave it on but it doesn't always run Homeseer Lite as I am also testing...This computer runs Windows or Linux. I have it configured running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

3 - Pine64 2Gb ARM based computer running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit. The Samsung microSD card did fail in this computer and have updated it to a Sandisk. I have not had any issues with the device. It is larger than an RPi. Looking to update to the Rock64 / 4Gb / 32Gb eMMC computer. They were supposed to add a battery backed up RTC and have not to date. So I might get it anyways and use a PiFace RTC or DIY something for RTC.

3 - Homeseer Pro is running on a Haswell i3 with 16Gb of RAM and Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit. I DIY'd this computer and it is in a small case.
    It also runs Windows Oracle Virtual Boxes for some Homeseer stuff that only runs in Windows.

It is up to you what type of computer you want to purchase and what OS you will be running for Homeseer.

Here ran Homeseer 2 and Homeseer 2 on Windows computers (last configuration was using a mini version of Windows Server).

Started initially Homeseer 3 on Windows when first introduced; then switched over to Linux.

Homeseer for Linux runs fine on Intel, AMD or ARM based computers. Homeseer for Windows runs on Intel or AMD based computers.

BTW for Homeseer Z-Wave here run a ZNet like device in the attic (POE powered). It is doing ZWave, 1-Wire sensors and NOAA satellite map downloads not breaking a sweat nor affected by the temperatures in the attic which have been up to 140 degrees in the summer minus 10 degrees in the winter.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete, I was thinking more along the lines of the products that homeseer offers. Is it worth it to get the Hometroller s6 pro or would the SEL-Pro be the wiser choice and save some $$$

Basically just looking for the most compatible and reliable system.

I do like the fact that the S6's have a serial port for my russound connectivity.

Comment

The Hometroller S6 or S6 Pro would be nice.

These come with embedded Windows 7.

The Hometroller SEL and SEL Pro use a lite version of Linux V.14.04 32 bit.

Not sure if how familiar you are with Window or Linux. If you are more familiar with Windows then go with the S6.

Here have not used an RS-232 9 pin serial port on my Homeseer boxes since the early 2000's. Went to using Digi Edgeports way long time ago.

Last HS2 box used two 8 port Digi Edgeports and 1 Digi 7 port active USB hub. It was one USB cable from the HS2 box to the Digi stuff.

(IE: for 16 serial devices and 5 USB devices connected to Homeseer including the Russound stuff).

For the serial Russound connection purchased a micro serial server such that HS and my Leviton Omnpro 2 panel could talk to the Russound stuff. (and keypads and Omnitouch screens and HSTouch screens).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Just so the OP knows the newer S6's no longer ship with W7 embeded but rather now come with W10 embeded.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
          X