Generic commands for all activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krh1009 View Post
    Sorry..are you talking about the layout of the Device page or the New Config page for the "Remote device"?

In either case, I would start with dropdown and get fancy later with drag and drop...
    I'm talking on the Device Management page. I would start with one and go to another, but the issue isi that it would mean I would have to program a way to update users devices after the fact and I try to avoid that (though it's not always avoidable).

However, I think you might be right anyways and I"ll stick with dropdowns unless I can get the "remote designer" working to position the buttons on the device management screen*.

*Though not sure it's worth it as I'm not even sure most people even use the Web UI for control, just for management. I'll do the dropdowns for now.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
      *Though not sure it's worth it as I'm not even sure most people even use the Web UI for control, just for management. I'll do the dropdowns for now.
      I see the device page as a set of raw controls to get something done, not a pretty interface to give to a member of the house to use. Stick with the drop down, function over form....

Comment

I see the device page as a set of raw controls to get something done, not a pretty interface to give to a member of the house to use. Stick with the drop down, function over form....

I really wanted to just respond with a thumbs up emoticon, but apparently these forums don't have one so I made it the "post icon"

Comment

Ok, so I came really close to releasing a version tonight.

The config page (kinda) works, but it's not quite there yet. I have to rewrite part of it because I seem to not learn from past mistakes. It should be a quick fix and if I get to work on the plugin tomorrow night, I will definitely have a version out for you (and anyone else) to test.

Comment

Sounds great!

Comment

I have released a preliminary beta with this functionality added. Release thread is here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1373579

Comment

Look really good! I had a chance to try out the virtual remote.

Recommendations on the config page

- The save button should be on the lefts side of the screen...I totally missed it.
                - Would be nice to have a way to delete a virtual remote
                - Would be nice to have a way to delete a virtual remote command
                - Not sure why you would ever need more than one virtual remote per hub?

I created a virtual remote but nothing happed when I triggered the command from the device page or from an event. Let me know what I can do to send you logs/files to debug. But the concept is perfect. I saw you added a voice command tab, I did not try that feature yet.

Comment

Look really good! I had a chance to try out the virtual remote.

Recommendations on the config page

- The save button should be on the lefts side of the screen...I totally missed it.
                  Will Do

- Would be nice to have a way to delete a virtual remote
                  I'll look at adding it. I may only remove the config and require the user to remove the device in HS though.

- Would be nice to have a way to delete a virtual remote command
                  I will add this

- Not sure why you would ever need more than one virtual remote per hub?
                  If you want to set them up for voice command for commands, you can only have 1 command per remote. For instance, Play.

I created a virtual remote but nothing happed when I triggered the command from the device page or from an event. Let me know what I can do to send you logs/files to debug. But the concept is perfect. I saw you added a voice command tab, I did not try that feature yet.
                  I will add more debug logging around this and release a new version.

The Voice Command section is so that you can set up a device for turning on a specific activity. For instance, We commonly use "Hey Google, turn on the Xbox" and "Hey Google, turn on/off the TV". We have more activities than the cheaper smart control remote gives you access to (since we don't want the kids breaking the expensive main remote) and this allows them to turn on/off the xbox activity without ever having to touch a remote

Comment

If you want to set them up for voice command for commands, you can only have 1 command per remote. For instance, Play.
                    OK...I understand. This allows the device to be voice controlled directly. I ended up using the virtual remote in a voice activated event for "Intermission" to pause the movie and change the light scene. The device is REALLY nice since it handles the activity checking (see screenshot).

I will add more debug logging around this and release a new version.
                    Pleas post when the debug version is ready. I can send you logs.

The Voice Command section is so that you can set up a device for turning on a specific activity. For instance, We commonly use "Hey Google, turn on the Xbox" and "Hey Google, turn on/off the TV". We have more activities than the cheaper smart control remote gives you access to (since we don't want the kids breaking the expensive main remote) and this allows them to turn on/off the xbox activity without ever having to touch a remote
                    OK...I'll give the voice feature a try this week too.

My Event using virtual remote (simple and clean):
                    Attached Files

Comment

OK...I understand. This allows the device to be voice controlled directly. I ended up using the virtual remote in a voice activated event for "Intermission" to pause the movie and change the light scene. The device is REALLY nice since it handles the activity checking (see screenshot).
                      Yeah, I just wanted to give people options. My original plan was to do just 1 Virtual Remote per Hub, but thought people might want more than one. If they never add more than 1, no harm no foul. The logic to handle more than 1 isn't all that process intensive.

I'm going to PM you with my email so you can send me your config file. I want to see if it's a config issue.

One Issue I had was I kept changing my "Watch Roku" activity when we were watching "Watch Roku (TV Only)" activity, so my changes didn't work. I'm just putting it out there because it could be a simple mistake to make.

Comment

So my biggest challenge is when my devices get out of sync. I have just the basic remote which offers no help feedback.

So when it gets out of sync, I have to go to my phone and perform the specific steps to fix.

Example:

Power TV ON
                        Change to HDMI 1

With what your are working on, would I be able to tell Alexa to Power TV on if I know that will fix it or switch to HDMI 1 with the proper voice command?

Comment

Originally posted by mbg0333 View Post
                          So my biggest challenge is when my devices get out of sync. I have just the basic remote which offers no help feedback.

So when it gets out of sync, I have to go to my phone and perform the specific steps to fix.

Example:

Power TV ON
                          Change to HDMI 1

With what your are working on, would I be able to tell Alexa to Power TV on if I know that will fix it or switch to HDMI 1 with the proper voice command?
                          You already have access to this. The problem is that Harmony does not in any way know the status of your devices (power/input). It depends on the fact that you are only using the Harmony Hub to control those devices so it assumes if you turn on Activty "Play Xbox" and it turns on the TV, the Xbox and changes the TV to HDMI 1, then it assumes those are set. It does have a built in "Fix" (if you have the normal remote, you can just click the activity button to cycle through the fixes until it's fixed). I generally do not like the "Fix" because it remembers the steps and will use that in subsequent activity start ups*.

If what you want to to do is "fix" this issue, set up an event, in that event, use the plugin "Device Commands" to turn on the TV and Set it to HDMI1 (add a pause in between the two to give the TV time to power on).. Set up a Voice Command for that even like "Fix Play Xbox". Then if you use the Alexa skill where you say "Tell Homeseer", you can say "Alexa, Tell homeseer to run Fix Play Xbox".**

*I know this happens because our kids were impatient and would always double click the off button more than once. This resulted in it trying to tun off everything twice, including the PS3, which woudl turn back on because the power off sequence for the PS3 includes the PS button, which turns the PS3 on. What really sucks is the PS3's power saver will turn off the PS3 if you don't touch the remote (for instance during a movie), however it doesn't work if it doesn't detect a TV signal, so our PS3 pretty much always stays on.

** Google and the other Alexa Skills may have support for Events, I'm not sure though. I haven't used them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mbg0333 View Post

Example:

Power TV ON
                            Change to HDMI 1
                            Slightly off HS/Plug-in topic...I have the basic handheld remote also. Under the TV activity I programed the red button (there's row of red, green, yellow , blue buttons) to a sequence to reset things -> power on tv, set to HDMI1. My system gets out of sync after a power failure. When that happen I push the Watch TV button then the red button to sync things back to normal...no need to fire up the phone app.

Comment

Slightly off HS/Plug-in topic...I have the basic handheld remote also. Under the TV activity I programed the red button (there's row of red, green, yellow , blue buttons) to a sequence to reset things -> power on tv, set to HDMI1. My system gets out of sync after a power failure. When that happen I push the Watch TV button then the red button to sync things back to normal...no need to fire up the phone app.
                              I wondered why I never ran into this. All my equipment runs to a big old battery backup so unless it's a sustained power outage, My stuff never falls out of sync. And if we do have a long outage, I make everyone turn everything off.

Comment

Working...
                              X