Samsung TV Y2016 and newer (series K and up) remote control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bernold View Post
    Sorry, that took me way longer than expected. I attached the debug file.

Here is what I did:
    10:26 From PI: Volume down, up and mute -> nothing happened
    10:27 Started Samsung Smartview app on iPhone, muted/unmuted (worked)
    10:28 From PI: Volume down, up and mute again -> All worked
    The log unfortunately doesn't show any difference pre or post starting the smartview app.

What bugs me is that there is zero confirmation from the TV upon anything being sent. You have a 2017 model Samsung, I found a 2016 model Samsung trace, posted by another user, it shows at least upon opening the websocket some response by the TV, yours doesn't show anything. So is there a difference between a 2016 and 2017 model or did I break something in the PI.

Could you make sure the PI has proper firewall allowances?
    Are there any settings on the TV where you can see who is allowed to have remote control?
    Maybe to confirm there is no mistake in the PI, any chance to do one more trace, this time debug and superdebug flag on. Need to see start-up of PI and you sending some commands.

Any chance to trace your smartview app?

Anyone else on this forum that has a Y2017 model Samsung TV that is using this PI?

Dirk

Comment

At this moment I'm a bit lost. All I did was remove the firewall rule and add it again. After that it seems to work fine. Firewall is what I checked a couple of weeks ago, too. Will test again tomorrow, because the tv was already on and I'm not sure how long it should be off. If it doesn't work then I will use superdebug next. Hope I did not waste your time. Sorry if I did.

I do have another question: Would it be possible to read out the value of the volume, like on B Series?

(By the way, yes there is a list of allowed devices on the tv. Strangely, only Samsung's app gave a popup to deny or allow. Samsungctl from my NAS or the PI don't give that popup, so they can't be added either).
      Plugins I developed for HS4: Somfy Local, MiLight (LimitlessLED), Updates, Volvo (VoC), OpenTherm Gateway (OTGW)
      Running HS4 Pro on Windows 10 Pro on a Synology VM, with Node-RED running as a container.

Comment

I do have another question: Would it be possible to read out the value of the volume, like on B Series?

(By the way, yes there is a list of allowed devices on the tv. Strangely, only Samsung's app gave a popup to deny or allow. Samsungctl from my NAS or the PI don't give that popup, so they can't be added either).

Did you add your TV as a player device? That's where the volume resides and it might be that as soon as you add the player that the pop-up will show ...

Dirk

Comment

At this moment I'm a bit lost. All I did was remove the firewall rule and add it again. After that it seems to work fine. Firewall is what I checked a couple of weeks ago, too. Will test again tomorrow, because the tv was already on and I'm not sure how long it should be off. If it doesn't work then I will use superdebug next. Hope I did not waste your time. Sorry if I did.
          Not sure the firewall has anything to do with it, might be a red-herring but so far it has messed up a lot of people's setup with typical symptoms that it works great for a while and then it stops.

However it does not explain why it would start working again when you use the smartview app UNLESS that app was used on the same PC as the PI, and I believe that was not the case either.

Moreover the trace seems to confirm that the PI is still receiving pings from the TV upon which it responds with pong messages so the websocket port is still active AND it is getting through the firewall.

Was this the first time it happened? If not, did restarting the PI in the past get it to work again? If it does happen again, it would be great to see if you could figure out after it stops responding say after 30 min or an hour or ...

Even though I don't have a Samsung Y2016/2017, I might try it on my Y2015 (which works with fancy encryption and PINs) and see if that "falls a sleep" after a while. It works on the same Websocket principles as yours, except that it requires complex authorization before you can use it.

Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
            Did you add your TV as a player device? That's where the volume resides and it might be that as soon as you add the player that the pop-up will show ...
            Dirk
            Ah. Yes, there it is. Thank you. It's just the value, right? Probably can't associate the down/up buttons and the slider with the remote?

Not sure the firewall has anything to do with it, might be a red-herring but so far it has messed up a lot of people's setup with typical symptoms that it works great for a while and then it stops.

However it does not explain why it would start working again when you use the smartview app UNLESS that app was used on the same PC as the PI, and I believe that was not the case either.
            Correct. I use(d) the app on my iPhone. I haven't found a version that works on Windows. Samsung doesn't seem to maintain it.

Moreover the trace seems to confirm that the PI is still receiving pings from the TV upon which it responds with pong messages so the websocket port is still active AND it is getting through the firewall.

Was this the first time it happened? If not, did restarting the PI in the past get it to work again? If it does happen again, it would be great to see if you could figure out after it stops responding say after 30 min or an hour or ...
            It's hard to tell. When I first noticed that it wasn't always working I have tried several things, including several of the 'beta' versions you posted here earlier and an older version of HS3 on my work laptop.

I can certainly test some more to see if it keeps working as long as the tv is on. May take me a couple of days though. It's perfect weather to paint (yay...)
            Plugins I developed for HS4: Somfy Local, MiLight (LimitlessLED), Updates, Volvo (VoC), OpenTherm Gateway (OTGW)
            Running HS4 Pro on Windows 10 Pro on a Synology VM, with Node-RED running as a container.

Comment

So, is there a usable Samsung Plugin (or something) for for 2017 and 2018 TVs? I have a new QLED Q9 TV and would love to automate it?

Comment

Originally posted by ViperJD View Post
                So, is there a usable Samsung Plugin (or something) for for 2017 and 2018 TVs? I have a new QLED Q9 TV and would love to automate it?
                Have you tried the version posted here (https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...postcount=57)? Blackbeard reported it not working so I would be curious to see it with other users. If you're up to it, don't just download the version in post #57, first install the PI properly from the installer, then overwrite it with the posted files in post #57.
                What would really be helpful is to find an app that works so we can trace that app to see what they did different this time around. It seems that every 2 years they feel the need to change the protocol and NOT make it backward compatible. So far I haven't found any postings about difference for the Q-models over previous models so if you come across something, share it here so we could potentially add q-model support.

Dirk

Comment

The remote seems to keep working great after I added it to the firewall again.

One thing I did notice is that it takes a quite long between WOL and the remote going to the activated state. About a minute or so of not being able to use the remote device. Is it possible to make that shorter? The tv is ready to use quite fast.

Comment

The remote seems to keep working great after I added it to the firewall again.

One thing I did notice is that it takes a quite long between WOL and the remote going to the activated state. About a minute or so of not being able to use the remote device. Is it possible to make that shorter? The tv is ready to use quite fast.

Try make change described above:
                    https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...4&postcount=53

Comment

Oops, I missed that. Just modified it. Seems to work much better!

Comment

Blackbeard

ViperJD
                        Did you guys ever get the PI to work with your Q-Series Samsung? I posted a new version (UNDER BETA) in the updater that has all the latest. I read a posting somewhere by a developer who seems to suggest that K, M & Q series work the same. He also posted some code to start widgets like Netflix. Trying it out now on my J series not sure it will work or is supported.

Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by MStan
                          Hi, I have a 2017 Q7f. What ver do I try for control?
                          3.0.0.31 in the BETA section of the updater. When you add the remote, make sure you are in front of the TV as you may have to accept access.

Comment

I just bought a 2018 Samsung Q9, would love to be able to control it via IP if thats possible. Basic function like on/off and volume controls is all I really need. Anything else is a bonus. Happy to help testing if needed, it should be in and of this week or beginning of next week

Comment

I also have a Q9 now, and am trying to get IP control working. I installed the PI, and after I turned on the TV it has been found twice, as a media controller and as a player. I activated both, allowed firewall when prompted. Any command like Volume up or down, nothing happens and I have an error in the log

Aug-27 19:41:35 MC Error Error in ChangeVolumeLevel for device = [TV] Samsung Q9 Series (55) for Channel=Master New Value=6. Error =MyUPnPService.InvokeAction for ServiceID = http://192.168.0.29:9197/RenderingControl_1.xml while sending Action = SetVolume for URI = http://192.168.0.29:9197/upnp/control/RenderingControl1 and Request = 0 Master 6 UPNP Error = faultcode = s:Client, faultstring = UPnPError, detail = 501Action Failed with error = The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
                              Aug-27 19:41:35 Device Control Device: MediaController [TV] Samsung Q9 Series (55) Player to Vol - Dn (10) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

It looks to me as this PI is not meant to be a remote control, but just a media player, so I could possibly play stuff from my NAS via the TV controlled via HS3 ?

Comment

After a little while in the mediacontroller config a remote appeared. I enabled that, and it created a remote control for the TV. When I click any of the buttons, it sends the command as I can see it in the log (without errors) but on the TV nothing happens. In the TV settings, under external devices, my phone shows up (I have the smartview app), but nothing else. I guess I have to somehow permission it ?

Comment

Working...
                                X