Master control of several dimmers use of "linked device"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 20 HS3 dimmers that I want to control in sync by one master device.
    I have created master control device, however I can't get it how to make the master control control all 20.
    1. I used "linked device" option to link the Master to one of the 20. It does work. However there is no option to link more than one device. Furthermore if I try to link the 1st device to 2nd device than the Master controls the 1st but doesn't control 2nd. So daisy-chain wouldn't work.
    2. If I link each of the 20 devices back to the master it wouldn't work either. Each device would control the Master and this is the opposite of what I'm trying to do.
    Help will be appreciated. Thanks.

The daisy chain scenario works in a circular control 1 > 2 > 3 > 1. Therefore, using any device, 1, 2, or 3 results in the other linked devices being controlled.

The linked device control is on the device itself as displayed above.

Comment

Here's a YouTube video about synched dimmers. It'll do what you want, but any change in one dimmer changes all dimmers. I don't think you can synch them to work the way you describe - where only one (master) controls all dimmers and the others cannot be operated. But maybe someone else has another option?

https://youtu.be/jajAZiG62aY
      Last edited by NetworkGuy; July 16, 2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks ALL for the prompt reply. Just for testing I did this daisy chain

1-->2-->3-->1

It doesn't work. Here are the test results

1 --> 2 OK
        2 --> 3 OK
        3 --> 1 OK

1 --> 2 --> 3 Doesn't work. The control stops at 2 and doesn't propagate to 3.

Comment

Did you watch the video? It exactly describes your scenario.
          Originally posted by risquare View Post
          Thanks ALL for the prompt reply. Just for testing I did this daisy chain

1-->2-->3-->1

It doesn't work. Here are the test results

1 --> 2 OK
          2 --> 3 OK
          3 --> 1 OK

1 --> 2 --> 3 Doesn't work. The control stops at 2 and doesn't propagate to 3.

Comment

Yes. I did watch the video. I have two theories. 1. The newer version of HS3 changed the treatment of linked devices. or 2. My devices are different than the devices in the video. One thing all my devices have value range from 1 to 32 not 1 to 100 if it matters.

Comment

I can confirm this is not working as well - at least not using multiple Cooper Aspire 5 Scene Controllers and a single load-bearing device.

I used to have events take care of this, but after updating HS to try HS Mobile Beta, my reconcile/sync events sent all of my Devices into a on/off loop (it was rather crazy, woke up to all the lights downstairs "dim flashing." I had to disable the events and tried to replace them using the link loop described here. It does not work, though it may be because all but one device in the loop are controllers and not actual devices.
              John
              Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
              Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
              HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
              Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Interesting...
                I use linking with 3 dimmers for my backyard lights. This has worked for me since HS introduced linking.

To further test, I have 4 dimmers in my media room. They were not linked, but as a test I linked all four 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 1. This works with any one of the dimmers. There is about a 4 second delay after adjusting any dimmer before the other 3 adjust in quick succession. Here is a quick video

The dimmers are linked left to right with the furthest right linked back to the furthest left. In testing this about 50 times, only once dimmer 2 did not track. These, like my backyard dimmers are all HS-WD100+ dimmers. It also worked when the backyard dimmers were all Cooper devices. Some of the delay is likely due to the fact that HS dimmers support a central scene, delaying the first dimmers response by a couple of seconds. Linking is value for value, so linked devices must be identical in their Status Graphics setup.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                X