HVAC Zone Controller recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC Zone Controller recommendations?

I've been using RCS ZC6R controllers since about 2000 with Stargate - worked well. I've been trying to integrate them with HomeSeer without much success and am giving some thought to updating. The Proliphix and Enerzone controllers look interesting. I wanted to hear what good/bad experiences have been had and what you'd recommend. I need 6 zones. Thanks!

I use EWC Contols ultra-zone controller and have had good luck with it. The base board supports 4 zones and can be expanded up to 20 zones, 2 at a time. Their web site is here: http://www.ewccontrols.com/uzc_panel.htm. I use HAI RC 80thermostats for the various zones. These can be controlled either by the HAI panel or the HomeSeer HAI thermostat plugin. The controller manages a heat pump with a gas furnace for emergency heat. Yhe zone controller will work with any thermostat, the simpler the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby View Post
      I use EWC Contols ultra-zone controller and have had good luck with it. The base board supports 4 zones and can be expanded up to 20 zones, 2 at a time. Their web site is here: http://www.ewccontrols.com/uzc_panel.htm. I use HAI RC 80thermostats for the various zones. These can be controlled either by the HAI panel or the HomeSeer HAI thermostat plugin. The controller manages a heat pump with a gas furnace for emergency heat. Yhe zone controller will work with any thermostat, the simpler the better.
      Thanks for the recommendation. So the zone controller itself is not accessible directly through Homeseer, but through compatible thermostats? Any problems encountered with integrating?

Comment

Correct. The zone controller takes its direction from the thermostats. I didn't have any problem integrating the thermostats. In Florida I use the HAI Plugin. In Georgia I use the HAI Panel. The only caveat is that with the rc-80, you need to make sure you have home-run wiring. If there was already a thermostat there then that won't be a problem. If not you could look at some of the z-wave thermostats. Basically the controller only wants to be told whether the zone wants heat or a/c. It manages everything else based on the requests from the thermostats and the weather conditions.

Comment

Working...
        X