Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Echo Dots, 2 Amazon accounts, only 1 can be active with HS API?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Echo Dots, 2 Amazon accounts, only 1 can be active with HS API?

Originally posted as reply in Omni plugin thread, should have posted here.

We have 3 Echo Dots, and 2 Amazon accounts (under one Amazon Household), and 1 myHS free account. I can enable Alexa HS simple skill/API from Alexa app signed in on one Amazon account, discover devices successfully, all works well, from Alexa on that account.

Then log in to other account in Alexa app, enable skill, discover, all found. But Alexa connected to original Amazon account now says all devices don't respond.

Then tell Alexa to switch accounts, now she can control the devices again. Log back in to the original Amazon account in Alexa app, all devices are shown offline, that is why Alexa on that account cannot control them.

On that original Amazon account, disable and re-enable skill, rediscover, all good again for Alexa on that account, but now Alexa on other account cannot control things, and app for that account says devices all offline.

I suspect MyHS can only accept one Amazon linked account login at a time, even though same Household, so Alexas on different accounts cannot both access MyHS and connect to devices.

Can anyone confirm, or is this a matter to raise (again?) with Homeseer support? My wife and I have different uses and profiles for our Alexas and I don't want to have to keep them all on one account just to use HS.

Thanks

Got an answer to this from Matt at HS: he confirmed that a basic MyHS account can only be connected with one Amazon account. That is why an Alexa on a different Amazon account (even in same household) cannot control the devices. He said MyHS Premium account, $24/year, can accept multiple Amazon account connections.

My reply to him asked for an enhancement to enable multiple Amazon household account logins to the base MyHS, or offer a lower tier premium MyHS for 1 device but several Amazon accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jfree23 View Post
      Got an answer to this from Matt at HS: he confirmed that a basic MyHS account can only be connected with one Amazon account. That is why an Alexa on a different Amazon account (even in same household) cannot control the devices. He said MyHS Premium account, $24/year, can accept multiple Amazon account connections.

My reply to him asked for an enhancement to enable multiple Amazon household account logins to the base MyHS, or offer a lower tier premium MyHS for 1 device but several Amazon accounts.
      +1 to this idea

Comment

So I can't associate 2 amazon accounts (wife's and mine) with myhs...using the Same myhs account?

This used to work...

Comment

Originally posted by AgileHumor View Post
          So I can't associate 2 amazon accounts (wife's and mine) with myhs...using the Same myhs account?

This used to work...
          Interesting that it used to work; HS Support did not mention that.

You can set up Echo Dot's in each Amazon account and link them to your 1 myhs account. But it seems like only 1 Amazon account is able to log in to myhs at any one time, and the last one you set up seems to lock the other ones out permanently. The locked out ones seemed to show all devices offline no matter what I did.

Also interesting that connecting via HSTouch seemed to cause the working Echo Dot to show all devices offline, but issuing a command via Alexa to a device took it back from HSTouch and that device then showed online for Alexa. So HSTouch seemed to be able to pass control back and forth with one Amazon account/Echo, but the 2 Amazon accounts were not able to pass control back and forth.

Comment

Michael

Comment

There is a very easy solution to this issue and I'm surprised that no-one has caught it yet.

You register all the Echos to a single account then setup the "Household Profile" on that account. This will allow you to link other Amazon account holders in your household to the same echos. Once you do this new account user will go through training and the echos will be able to recognize the voice of that user.

Once done Alexa will use their account settings which is controlled by their Alexa app on their phone. For many things it will identify you using your voice and for others you have to tell alexa to switch accounts. This includes such things as delivery notifications, music libraries, Flash Briefings, your calendar, voice purchasing, lists and other features.

For users that don't have their own Amazon account, such as yours kids, their actions will fall under the currently selected Amazon account.

I'm hoping that at some point Amazon will add a user profile name, much like version 3 can send the echo's name, to apps so that even HomeSeer will know which user is giving commands.

Here is more information on the subject. Household Profiles on Alexa Devices
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
              Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
              3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
              4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
              3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
              SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

I agree, this will work, but I consider it a workaround, not a solution. You can only issue Alexa commands to HS when the Echo you are talking to is on the right Amazon account in the household. Yes, you can ask which account it is on, and ask to switch accounts if needed, then issue HS commands. That is what I'm doing also, as that is the only way that works.

However, IMO Amazon accounts are great for personal preferences, keeping your own lists, briefings, purchases, etc. But one should be able to control their house, from any "household" account, right? That's why there are Households for Amazon! It does not make sense to me that only 1 account can control the house, and you have to switch to that account every time, if you "live" in a different account. HS devices should provide shared access.

I believe the bottleneck is in MyHS, not on the Amazon side. Just my view.

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                  Once you do this new account user will go through training and the echos will be able to recognize the voice of that user.

Once done Alexa will use their account settings which is controlled by their Alexa app on their phone. For many things it will identify you using your voice and for others you have to tell alexa to switch accounts. This includes such things as delivery notifications, music libraries, Flash Briefings, your calendar, voice purchasing, lists and other features.
                  This works now? I thought you still always had to say switch profiles.

Comment

I'm having the exact same issue right now, so three years later, is there a way around this?

My wife has an Amazon Alexa account on her phone, and I have an Amazon Alexa account on my phone, both in the same household, with one HomeSeer 4 machine, and only one of us can see the devices and routines at a time.

Thanks,
                    Chris

Comment

Does getting MyHS premium fix this problem? My wife and I each have accounts with our Alexas, only the last one to link seems to be able to control the lights through MyHS. If MyHS premium does fix this, is it as simple as buying a subscription and then re-linking both, or would I need to set up two separate MyHS accounts?

Comment

Working...
                      X