This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcsMQTT Plugin

I have become involved with low cost IoT devices with MQTT being the primary means for non-cloud (or cloud) communication and integration. To make it easy to fit into my existing Homeseer environment I have developed mcsMQTT. It deals with MQTT protocol as well as other popular protocols used in IOT product integration

This plugin retains HS as the central node in the automation environment and allows MQTT-literate devices to be utilized. While HS Events can be triggered based upon MQTT Topics and Event Actions can publish Topics, the primary integration is with the HS DeviceValue and DeviceString. Changes in HS devices or changes in MQTT Topic payloads are seamlessless reflected with the mcsMQTT bridge.

Change Log moved to HS4 thread https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...ge-log-hs4-hs3

Documentation/Manual http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf
    How-To Guides from post #250, #259 & #304 by taylormia attached
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Michael McSharry; August 17, 2019, 06:07 PM.

Hi,

how can we install this plugin?

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      I have become involved with low cost IoT devices with MQTT being the primary means for non-cloud (or cloud) communication and integration. To make it easy to fit into my existing Homeseer environment I have developed mcsMQTT.

This plugin retains HS as the central node in the automation environment and allows MQTT-literate devices to be utilized. While HS Events can be triggered based upon MQTT Topics and Event Actions can publish Topics, the primary integration is with the HS DeviceValue and DeviceString. Changes in HS devices or changes in MQTT Topic payloads are seamlessless reflected with the mcsMQTT bridge.
      Nice work, you can tell what you do for a living

I wasn't clear on whether the Broker connection will support port 8883/TLS? Will it support a CA cert?

Also, did you use the Event/script interfaces for processing pub/sub rather than using the plugin to map them directly to the HS3 device (or did I miss that?). Clearly the Event/script method gives you more flexibility (ie translating HS3 device/string values to/from field device payloads)

When do we get to play with it

Thanks,
      Z

Comment

So what sort of applications would mqtt be useful for? I’ve been wanting to mess around with something new.

Comment

Hi,
          Isn't it the same as this http://dzjee.xs4all.nl/hs3/mqtt/mqtt.html ?

Fischi

Comment

how can we install this plugin?
            I have submitted the request to HST to include it in the updater. The install file that the updater will use is at http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT_3_0_0_0.zip. You can manually installed now per guidance in the manual or wait for it to show up in the updater.

I wasn't clear on whether the Broker connection will support port 8883/TLS? Will it support a CA cert?
            I have not been concerned with security in my environment, but the underlying software does support it. If you are concerned then I can enable it. It is something we can pursue together if you are interested.

Also, did you use the Event/script interfaces for processing pub/sub rather than using the plugin to map them directly to the HS3 device (or did I miss that?). Clearly the Event/script method gives you more flexibility (ie translating HS3 device/string values to/from field device payloads)
            I have provided all options that best suits the user's orientation and environment. In my case I am Device and not Event oriented so I have mapped Topics to Devices and used Device Value/String to manage the Payload. Others that are Event oriented can trigger an Event on a Topic received or use the Event Action to publish a Topic/Payload.

So what sort of applications would mqtt be useful for? I’ve been wanting to mess around with something new.
            I have been using an xAP environment for distributed computing for many years. MQTT is a minor variation from xAP with respect to integrating many remote entities. This mcsMQTT plugin was a very easy port of mcsXap plugin.
            What moved me to include MQTT is the ESP8266/Sonoff units that sell for under $5 and these include the power supply, Wifi, Relay, multiple discretes and a well supported software environment for hacking. Emulation for Wemo and Hue is included so Echo/Alexa voice control is built in. My first two applications are to provide intelligent Wifi Garage Door interface and a Wifi water meter counter to replace one that has sometimes given me problems on 1-Wire.

Isn't it the same as this http://dzjee.xs4all.nl/hs3/mqtt/mqtt.html ?
            Both understand MQTT protocol. It is the user interface, orientation and the degree of integration with HS that are different. If one has a distributed mind-set and HS3 is just one more node then a simple publish/subscribe works well. If one has a master/central mind-set then mcsMQTT should be easier to integrate MQTT with HS3.
            Last edited by Michael McSharry; December 14, 2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

when i click the download link i get a 404 error ?

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
              I have submitted the request to HST to include it in the updater. The install file that the updater will use is at http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT_3.0.0.0.zip. You can manually installed now per guidance in the manual or wait for it to show up in the updater.

I have not been concerned with security in my environment, but the underlying software does support it. If you are concerned then I can enable it. It is something we can pursue together if you are interested.

I have provided all options that best suits the user's orientation and environment. In my case I am Device and not Event oriented so I have mapped Topics to Devices and used Device Value/String to manage the Payload. Others that are Event oriented can trigger an Event on a Topic received or use the Event Action to publish a Topic/Payload.

I have been using an xAP environment for distributed computing for many years. MQTT is a minor variation from xAP with respect to integrating many remote entities. This mcsMQTT plugin was a very easy port of mcsXap plugin.
              What moved me to include MQTT is the ESP8266/Sonoff units that sell for under $5 and these include the power supply, Wifi, Relay, multiple discretes and a well supported software environment for hacking. Emulation for Wemo and Hue is included so Echo/Alexa voice control is built in. My first two applications are to provide intelligent Wifi Garage Door interface and a Wifi water meter counter to replace one that has sometimes given me problems on 1-Wire.

Both understand MQTT protocol. It is the user interface, orientation and the degree of integration with HS that are different. If one has a distributed mind-set and HS3 is just one more node then a simple publish/subscribe works well. If one has a master/central mind-set then mcsMQTT should be easier to integrate MQTT with HS3.

Comment

Originally posted by snowboarder View Post
                when i click the download link i get a 404 error ?
                Try:
                http://mcssprinklers.com/mcsMQTT_3_0_0_0.zip

Z

Comment

Michael

As you say the Sonoff devices are a no-brainer. I grabbed a few on the 11.11 Aliexpress sale and having fun with them. I've just bought teh 16A version with current sense and one of the tri-colour LEDS .....all very neat stuff :-)

Pete
                  HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

When i enable the plugin in homeseer i get the this error ?

WARNING: Failed getting InterfaceStatus from mcsMQTT - the interface was not found in the list of active interfaces, the list may need to be refreshed

Comment

When i enable the plugin in homeseer i get the this error ?

WARNING: Failed getting InterfaceStatus from mcsMQTT - the interface was not found in the list of active interfaces, the list may need to be refreshed
                      When i start in Homeseer in Developer Mode i see that the plugin want to connect to server ip 192.168.0.194 . this is not the ip of my homeseer server.

Comment

When i start in Homeseer in Developer Mode i see that the plugin want to connect to server ip 192.168.0.194 . this is not the ip of my homeseer server.
                        Download the zip file again. He's fixed that in the latest one.

Z

Comment

I compiled/uploaded a third time to connect to localhost rather than .194.

Comment

Michael

Thanks mate, this is a ripper of a plugin. Took me a little time to understand your config page but I've got it happily driving a Tasmota/Sonoff basic relay. Setup a virtual device with a back end script to turn the device on and off, thats now also working with Alexa....

Great work mate, very happy

Pete
                            HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Michael

I'm a little stumped as to how to trigger an event from a received MQTT topic. Actually its probably not a topic, its a device I've created as a result of /stat/wemos-sonoff/POWER

The device on the web page turns on and off fine as I ground the wemos PIN. What I cant seem to work out is how to trigger an event from this.

What device value is on/off or do I need to define this myself ?

I've gone into status graphics and set 0 to off and 1 to on....I cant seem to trigger an event from on or off/0 or 1 device status and value....

Clearly missing something simple....

Appreciate your guidance

Pete
                              HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Working...
                              X