Costco Feit BR30 LED only Dim to 20% with WD-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco Feit BR30 LED only Dim to 20% with WD-100

I recently bought some Feit BR30 LED floods from Costco and thoroughly tested them with various dimmers including Lutron. All worked well so I bought $1000 worth for the entire home. Later after purchasing a HS3Pro I was hopeful the HS-WS100+ would work as well. Unfortunately they only dim to about 20% and then go out. I tried the Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Dimmer and they work perfectly, dimming down to a very, very faint glow. I really want to stay with HomeSeer especially the new HS-WD200+. Can anyone help me get the HS-WS series to dim lower? I am using the latest firmware. This is my 1st post so please forgive me if I'm not doing this right.

Originally posted by Irishman View Post
    I recently bought some Feit BR30 LED floods from Costco and thoroughly tested them with various dimmers including Lutron. All worked well so I bought $1000 worth for the entire home. Later after purchasing a HS3Pro I was hopeful the HS-WS100+ would work as well. Unfortunately they only dim to about 20% and then go out. I tried the Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Dimmer and they work perfectly, dimming down to a very, very faint glow. I really want to stay with HomeSeer especially the new HS-WD200+. Can anyone help me get the HS-WS series to dim lower? I am using the latest firmware. This is my 1st post so please forgive me if I'm not doing this right.
    I had to go to earlier firmware (5.14) on my HS-WD100+ dimmers to get a lower dimming level. Even with the improvement with earlier firmware, they are not even close to the Cooper dimmers I replaced. With the HS-WD200+ dimmers you will likely be stuck with whatever firmware ships with them as the HS-WD100+ firmware is likely different.

We have 4 of the dimmers in our home theater with MR16 and GU10 LED lights. Even at minimum brightness, they are too bright for watching movies. Until we get this resolved, we have to turn the lights off.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

WOW! Had no idea these dimmers performed so poorly. I was about to replace several coopers as well, but it seems best to hold off until they function as well as a dimmer as they do as a scene...

Comment

I've struggled with this for some time. I have three rooms with the same BR40 bulbs. One on a conventional dimmer switch, one on an older X10 dimmer (no neutral) and the third also on a conventional dimmer although a different brand.

One conventional dimmer works fine down to 1%, again completely mechanical. The X10 and the other conventional only dim to about 30%.

I like the WD-100+ dimmers with all the features, they just need to improve/refine/fix the firmware. Hopefully it's not a matter of a hardware change, I'm not buying another dimmer to fix this problem.

Separately, I have a bunch of BR30s in the living room with WD-100 dimmers. With firmware 1.4 they dim to barely a candle.

Oddly enough another WD-100 with 5.17 and five small candelabra LEDs dims to 0% but when you shut them off, they actually slightly glow at 1%. Strange, but not enough of a problem to worry about.

Comment

I sure would like to use the new HS-200 Dimmers

I can't find any earlier version of firmware for the HS-WD100. Is there an archive area so I could try an earlier version to fix the dimming issue? Has anyone tried the new HS-WD200 with the Feit BR30 LED floods?

Comment

https://homeseer.com/updates3/HSWD100_5_14.hec

Comment

rprade Thanks for the info. I appreciate you taking the time. I'll give it a try when I'm back on site later this month.Do you have any reason to thing the WS200 would be any better?

Comment

@Irishman did you notice any buzzing on your dimmer with those Costo Feit lights? If I have one light on a dimmer it's fine but multiple caused a pretty good hum coming out of the HS-WD200 in the middle of the dim. I also tried the retrofit Cree's and it's worse.

Comment

@chadbirk I haven't tried the WD-200 series but I have 6 recessed light on a WD-100+ and I haven't noticed any excessive hum. The show-stopper is they will not dim below about 20% before going completely out, which is WAY to bright. The Lutron Casata work perfectly but I sure would like to go to the WD-200+ series, if they will work. Does your WD-200+ have a good dimmable range? I'm not at the location to test the hum level.

Comment

Costco Feit BR30 LED only Dim to 20% with WD-200+

I just purchased a WD200+ to test. Unfortunately the results are exactly the same as the WD100+. The WD200+ is a very elegant replacement but the Lutron Caseta dimmers works perfectly. I REALLY want to use the WD200+ but don't want to replace $1,000+ of new LED lights. I assume the earlier firmware version (5.14) of the WD100+ cannot be applied to the WD200+. Has anyone had any luck getting the WD200+ to dim to a lower level with the Feit BR30 LED floods?

Comment

Just recently (like over the last 2 weeks) started switching from Jasco/GE zwave dimmers that have been failing, to the WD200+. Am having the same problem finding BR30s that have good dimming range with the new WD200+ dimmers. I've tried Cree versions, TCP, Philips, Sylvania...

TCP BR30s (older version) are the only ones to dim low enough (below 10%), but they get to full brightness at 50% dim rate. The rest of the 50% - 100% does nothing for brightness.

Philips, all Cree, and Sylvania won't dim past 20%, if that. They all also experience the "full brightness" at 50% like the TCPs.

The GE/Jasco switches didn't have this problem, and my old Lutrons didn't either. The Philips and Sylvania and the lower lumen Cree dim very low with the other switches, and have good range both upper and lower.

I plan to try Feit and Utilitech Pro, and ordered some other brands to try. I really want to get the WD200+ to work with a good dimming range because I like the other features!

Comment

We are putting in a parameter on the 100/200 series so you can adjust how it dims. The dimming was changed to avoid flickering on some LED bulbs but that resulted in the lowest dim setting being too high. The change we are about to make will address this. Will post when we have something to test.
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                          We are putting in a parameter on the 100/200 series so you can adjust how it dims. The dimming was changed to avoid flickering on some LED bulbs but that resulted in the lowest dim setting being too high. The change we are about to make will address this. Will post when we have something to test.
                          This is great news. does that mean will get to go below the 20% dim rate as well?

Comment

Is this a firmware update or a driver update? How soon will you have this?

The reason I ask is the swmbo (thanks rprade for this term) is not happy that the patio LED lights do not turn off fully with the older GE switches. Trying to decide on which switch to get that will both offer broad dim range and fully turn off when off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                            Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                            Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

When I heard this from Mark, I was like "Wow, I'm impressed. That's customer service..." I feel so much more confident thinking about switching my entire house over to Homeseer. Picking a controller as we speak.

However, not to be greedy, but will this happen to allow for better control across the entire range - both the lower dim issue (getting below 20%), as well as the upper dimming issue (where the bulb reaches max brightness at 50%, and 60% and above is the same as 100%)?

Comment

Working...
                              X