X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went the route of Magicjack thus not having to give up my home phone number after all these years. Price was right and Hsphone records all my messages. Count me in for keeping it.
    Stuart

Comment

Sorry, I'm sure I'm missing something here. Verizon, Comcast and rcn come with a box that has a phone jack, network and etc. They bundle it when they sell the product so the phone is mostly for free when you get these product from them. I'm not talking about an analog line, I'm talking about a fiber or an ISP line than is then converted in, I guess analog. I'm curious why you will take this module away from hs4, what is the harm of having it in hs4? I use it for many purposes and as many people invested lot of time get it working. If someone takes it over would be great otherwise please do not remove it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

You would need to plug that into a Way2Call Box which is about $400 and hard to get. I doubt very many would be willing to purchase that. Without that box, the phone support does not work.

We don't want to leave it because we don't want to support it for the very few who would use it.

Originally posted by aldo View Post
        Sorry, I'm sure I'm missing something here. Verizon, Comcast and rcn come with a box that has a phone jack, network and etc. They bundle it when they sell the product so the phone is mostly for free when you get these product from them. I'm not talking about an analog line, I'm talking about a fiber or an ISP line than is then converted in, I guess analog. I'm curious why you will take this module away from hs4, what is the harm of having it in hs4? I use it for many purposes and as many people invested lot of time get it working. If someone takes it over would be great otherwise please do not remove it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I think it is a poor assumption that very few have the Way2Call and use HSPhone. I suspect there are many more that you suggest. And if you don't get support requests, it's because it just works. My Way2Call is ancient and has been trouble-free for years. I get that you don't want to support it anymore, and I guess you've made your decision.

But phone integration is very important to me, and actually, one of the biggest reasons I chose HS many many many years ago. Like others, I live in a rural area where cell coverage can be spotty, so I still need wires. I have a script and HSTouch screen to display caller info, play/skip/delete phone messages, and can set options to email messages and/or text incoming caller info. This has been the highest-WAF feature of HS for me.

I'd like a plugin, but developing one is way beyond me.

If nobody picks up the plugin, what other options are there to integrate phone messaging and caller ID with HS?
          Mark

Comment

Hi Mark;

I feel for you, and I'm in the same position of dealing w/ a rural lifestyle. I can also see Rich's position. So, I'm hoping some developer living in the sticks picks this up.
            Don

Comment

I live in the sticks, but we get pretty good cell service. That said, we don't give our kids cell phones so I have a google phone number routed through a ObiHai VOIP adapter so my house still has a "phone". I also have my house wired for a tradiitional land line, but we just don't use it currently.

I also don't have a way2call box, but I will at least look at the source code and see what I can see. No promises as work has been killer lately, but I'll try and take a look anyways. If I do get something going, I would need to rely on actual users to test it out as, like I said above, I don't have a way2call box.

Comment

Most people are dumping analog lines

Hi All,

Quote, the sweeping statement. "Most people are dumping analog lines"

All I have to say.

There is life beyond America.

Some of us have to have copper just for Broadband.

As a Brit I really get fed up with the wholly American attitude of HS.

There are user on the other side of the pond and elsewhere that pay your wages lest you forget!

Peter

Comment

I'm not sure why some people are getting hot under the collar with this one?

Rich has stated (in post 3) that HSPhone will not be removed from HS3 and that HS4 has no schedule for release? So surely a plugin is only needed for HS4 which could be a couple of years down the line?
                  Jon

Comment

Personally I understand Rich's point as mentioned a couple of days ago and early on up in this post.

Business is business.

Pretty sure that the Homeseer 2 ancillary users / posters here never did pay $400 for a new way to call box. New users of Homeseer more than likely are not really familiar or even care much about legacy copper these days.

Older Homeseer users have adapted the use of the way 2 call device to old copper, VOIP and cellular use.

Here initially purchased the serial model of the W2C device used then picked up a couple of newer usb style W2C boxes for some $50 at the time.

It is a great little call manager box.

Here my post related to seeing about getting the source code and if possible the Homeseer 2 source to create an autonomous plugin for Homeseer 3 (and maybe 4).

I propose that my involvement here as a tester and partipant in this concerted effort would be mostly related to keeping it going for those of us here that still utilize the device today.
                    Last edited by Pete; June 26, 2018, 08:38 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Right, we are NOT removing it from HS3. I know there are some issues with it under HS3 and I can say we won't be fixing anything.

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                      I'm not sure why some people are getting hot under the collar with this one?

Rich has stated (in post 3) that HSPhone will not be removed from HS3 and that HS4 has no schedule for release? So surely a plugin is only needed for HS4 which could be a couple of years down the line?

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                        Right, we are NOT removing it from HS3. I know there are some issues with it under HS3 and I can say we won't be fixing anything.
                        HSPhone is not perfect, but it actually works pretty well for me. Assuming HS3 will run alongside HS4 when it is released (as HS2 does with HS3) - and HS4 comes along before I'm too old to endure the pain of another upgrade - I would probably let HS3 continue to handle the POTS line and exchange data with HS4 using JSON, or even ASCII.
                        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

There is definitely a need for interfacing with phones weather they be land lines or cell. I run a home based business so I really need a land line, a fax line, and a cell phone. My land line is always forwarded to my cell phone and is one of the greatest compliments I get from my customers, I always answer the phone. Telemarketers have gotten really bad lately, They are approaching 50% of my call volume even though I am on the do not call registry. My elderly parents are seeing the same thing.

In an ideal world I would like to be able to have 3 lists,

1. people I know and can get right through whether they call the land line or cell phone.
                          2. People I don't know, send them to a "call center" style answering service where they can get to me after jumping through some hoops, then I can decide after talking to them which list they should be on.
                          3. people that are blocked, they should go to phone limbo hell where my computer will try to carry on a conversation and waste as much of their time as possible.

Ideally when I get home I would like my cell phone to automatically forward to my house phone, I could then announce calls and not have to always have my cell phone on me (slowly giving me hip cancer).

Don't know if any of this is possible but would love to see it happen.

I for one applaud releasing the source to the masses but I can say from experience, if it's written anything like the Homeseer windows media player plugin you're better off starting from scratch.
                          https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

If this many users still want HSPhone functionality seems like one of the plugin developers is missing out on free code and a market.

Comment

Yes here with the W2C boxes sink any calls whether they come form copper, VOIP or cellular before they ring inside of the house. I like the peace and quiet in the house.

Here too like many Homeseer users from the 1990's did purchase the Way2Call boxes. I don't know of any Homeseer users that purchased the boxes new. The plugin most likely would be utilized by legacy Homeseer users only and there are a bunch of us still around here.

As mentioned before I would like to organize this endeavor as I have historically managed enterprise software application program development with single and multiple resources.

It is easy to do with a bit of line managing....

1 - copper
                              2 - VOIP1
                              3 - VOIP2
                              4 - cellular

In the mix above is Google Voice. I do not utilize any of the built in VOIP services much.

1-4 ==> multi line box ==> multiline wireless hand sets.

I did have the same AT&T cell numbers for some 25 years; then go slammed by AT&T on my grandfathered account and switched to T-Mobile.

It is a bit of old and new here. That and shut off my cell phone. That is me.

If the call is allowed then it rings through to one answering machine with one message.

Here want to be the organizer of said endeavor and do want the Homeseer 2 W2C stuff as I can do much more with the HS2 plugin than the HS3 plugin.

It would be nice to start this as an automous plugin totally different than the incorporated in to HS3 plugin.

For a while telemarketers where able to purchase whole exchanges of cell phone numbers. Not sure how they did this but when it was done I did block the exchange.
                              Last edited by Pete; June 27, 2018, 07:52 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I think the problem will be that the user will have to purchase the plugin, then at least a Way2Call Lite which is $349. I just don't see many doing this. Maybe there is another solution than the Way2Call, not sure. The Way2Call was the only device that allowed control from a local handset, maybe without that functionality there may be some other devices

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                                If this many users still want HSPhone functionality seems like one of the plugin developers is missing out on free code and a market.

Comment

Working...
                                X