Samsung TV Y2016 and newer (series K and up) remote control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    So a remote service showed up this time. I hit generate buttons and I got a bunch of different button types. None of them seemed to do anything though. I *think* this is all the files you've requested. BTW, this link returns 404 http://192.168.1.156:8001/ws/apps/
    Thanks for the info. As far as I can tell, it looks good. I can however not find anything in the log file when you clicked on the buttons. Did you perhaps already close the log file?

Going forward, no need to turn superdebug nor UPNP Level=Verbose. Just debug flag on is ok.

Dirk

Comment

Ok, so I removed everything and started fresh with debug on. You should be able to see me add the remote, create the buttons, and try to click on a few different things.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ok, so I removed everything and started fresh with debug on. You should be able to see me add the remote, create the buttons, and try to click on a few different things.
        hmm, this looks like how my TV (Y2015) reacts. Did at any point in time a message popped to allow access? I did see somewhere in the manual (https://www.samsung.com/us/support/o...-tv-q7f-series) that you need to turn remote access on and that you can display who were approved. Makes me wonder whether they re-introduced a PIN concept. One of the things to try is to install Samsung smartview on your phone and link it with the TV. We could learn from it how it interacts (ex: is there a PIN screen or a pop-up asking allowance etc).

From the manual:
        Settings > General > External Device Manager > Device Connect Manager
        Access Notification
        Set whether to display a notification when a mobile device attempts to connect to the TV for the first time.
        Device List
        View and manage a list of mobile devices that have requested permission to connect to the TV.
        If you know how to use Wireshark that would be over-the-hill great because then you can log the interaction between Smartview and the TV and would tell me a lot how this TV might work.

Anyone else out there with a Samsung Q series that knows how to wireshark?

Dirk

Comment

I could probably figure out wireshark with some additional guidance.

On my 2018 Q7F under settings ->general ->expert settings there are two options: Power on with Mobile, IP Remote. I have enabled both of those.

I did not see a request for a pin at any point. In Settings > General > External Device Manager > Device Connect Manager

Access Notifications are disabled. In the Device List I can see my Family Hub Fridge. My Fridge has smartview built in and it works fine. No request for access was needed at the time (that I can remember). The smartview app on my iPhone X fails to connect every time I try. Looking at the app history it hasn't been updated since last year, so wondering if this tv is unsupported.

For reference I've been going back and forth with Samsung support. Apparently my new oven and washer/dryer are also "too new" to work with the SmartThings app. Sigh.

Comment

I have noticed that it seems to be able to reliably tell me if the TV is on or off though. The main reason I started all of this is because I want Homeseer to turn on my Denon receiver and set it to the right input if the TV gets turned on. Even though it's been pretty reliable at reporting state there's a REALLY long lag. It's like a full minute before it realizes the TV is on. Is that something that can be changed?

Comment

I could probably figure out wireshark with some additional guidance.

On my 2018 Q7F under settings ->general ->expert settings there are two options: Power on with Mobile, IP Remote. I have enabled both of those.

I did not see a request for a pin at any point. In Settings > General > External Device Manager > Device Connect Manager

Access Notifications are disabled. In the Device List I can see my Family Hub Fridge. My Fridge has smartview built in and it works fine. No request for access was needed at the time (that I can remember). The smartview app on my iPhone X fails to connect every time I try. Looking at the app history it hasn't been updated since last year, so wondering if this tv is unsupported.

For reference I've been going back and forth with Samsung support. Apparently my new oven and washer/dryer are also "too new" to work with the SmartThings app. Sigh.
              Hmm the fact that their own SmartView app isn't working isn't encouraging. If everything went OK, you should have seen the MediaController app in the list of approved devices.

Maybe you should turn "access notification" on an see if anything pops up when the PI starts. Perhaps a log with superdebug on when HS starts up and you do a few keystrokes might just be good to have.

As to Wireshark traces, at least we need something that can talk to the TV, before we can think about tracing the conversation. Unless you are familiar with mirroring ports, it gets significantly harder to trace the conversation between two devices if Wireshark is not running on either of the 2 parties.

I'm reading through the manual right now and it is indeed not very clear which APP is any is available to do remote control. The Smart View APP they refer to is just to do screen sharing and that works very different (tried that on my cell).

You can ship me the TV and I'll figure it out here and as a reward I'll just keep it

Dirk

Comment

It's like a full minute before it realizes the TV is on. Is that something that can be changed?
                Unfortunately, I don't think so. I suspect it takes x seconds before the TV announces to the world it is up and running (or at least its UPNP interface). I may have tagged another 10 seconds or so based on experience with other devices before I start pulling the UPNP XML info. If you monitor the log file, you should be able to see how quickly after the TV turns on, you see an "new UPNP device added" log entry. A log with UPNP to verbose would show how much time is "lost" in the PI ...

Does your Denon supports HDMI/CEC? If so the TV can turn on the receiver, but not sure you use the receiver as input or output.

Dirk

Comment

It's like a full minute before it realizes the TV is on. Is that something that can be changed?
                  Stop HS3. Change the following line in the MediaController.ini file

UPnPAddNewDeviceWaitTime=1000

Comment

Latest version supporting Samsung through 2017

Found some minor issues.
                    Remote is working quite well for my J series. I think K and M should also work. No luck so far with Q series.
                    I need to clean up the layout of the buttons and I want to finish off support for LG TVs before I post on updater.
                    Also know that J series do not support Power on/WOL (tried Samsung SmartView and NOT possible).
                    Last edited by dcorsus; July 4, 2018, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Access Notifications are disabled.

I think these notifications may work in a buggy way. For my M series TV notifications are disabled too. However, using the app on my iPhone for the first time still triggered a popup on the tv. Strangely, the PI worked right away.
                      Plugins I developed for HS4: Somfy Local, MiLight (LimitlessLED), Updates, Volvo (VoC), OpenTherm Gateway (OTGW)
                      Running HS4 Pro on Windows 10 Pro on a Synology VM, with Node-RED running as a container.

Comment

Hi Dirk,
                        Somehow the remote is not always working on my M series. I can't figure out what's wrong, but the biggest change is that I have recently replaced an older beta version with the one a few messages ago. It seemed to work for a while.

I have tried disabling and enabling the PI, restarting HS, restarting the entire system. At one point it seemed firewall related, but later I could not reproduce that either. WOL seems to keep working, so there is some control left.

Do you have suggestions to try, or maybe a slightly newer version I could give a try (or an older one with support for these series - I noticed you removed it in the other thread)?
                        Plugins I developed for HS4: Somfy Local, MiLight (LimitlessLED), Updates, Volvo (VoC), OpenTherm Gateway (OTGW)
                        Running HS4 Pro on Windows 10 Pro on a Synology VM, with Node-RED running as a container.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernold View Post
                          Hi Dirk,
                          Somehow the remote is not always working on my M series. I can't figure out what's wrong, but the biggest change is that I have recently replaced an older beta version with the one a few messages ago. It seemed to work for a while.

I have tried disabling and enabling the PI, restarting HS, restarting the entire system. At one point it seemed firewall related, but later I could not reproduce that either. WOL seems to keep working, so there is some control left.

Do you have suggestions to try, or maybe a slightly newer version I could give a try (or an older one with support for these series - I noticed you removed it in the other thread)?

Could you turn the debug flag on, log to disk on, restart HS3, let it all come up, once up, do a few commands, stop log to disk, post disk-log-file.
                          I attached the latest here. Do also check which latest version of .net you have installed. I stepped it up to .net version 4.5.1

Dirk
                          Last edited by dcorsus; August 11, 2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Hi Dirk,
                            Thank you for your quick reply, as always. I have a small update. It's not caused by changing versions. I found an older version on my nas. That wasn't working either... until I used Samsung's app from my iPhone. Apparently that's the other change in how I use the PI. After using the app once the PI remote works until the tv is switched off. I have tested it several times. Seems like the Samsung app is sending something that makes the tv accept the remote commands.
                            I will try to do some more testing the next few days (don't have much time, renovating the house), for example to see if Samsungctl works without first using Samsung's app.
                            And otherwise I guess I have to finally figure out how to use Wireshark...
                            Bernold

Comment

Originally posted by Bernold View Post
                              Hi Dirk,
                              Thank you for your quick reply, as always. I have a small update. It's not caused by changing versions. I found an older version on my nas. That wasn't working either... until I used Samsung's app from my iPhone. Apparently that's the other change in how I use the PI. After using the app once the PI remote works until the tv is switched off. I have tested it several times. Seems like the Samsung app is sending something that makes the tv accept the remote commands.
                              I will try to do some more testing the next few days (don't have much time, renovating the house), for example to see if Samsungctl works without first using Samsung's app.
                              And otherwise I guess I have to finally figure out how to use Wireshark...
                              Bernold

Remember, take traces as described in previous post, it will show what goes wrong...

Comment

Sorry, that took me way longer than expected. I attached the debug file.

Here is what I did:
                                10:26 From PI: Volume down, up and mute -> nothing happened
                                10:27 Started Samsung Smartview app on iPhone, muted/unmuted (worked)
                                10:28 From PI: Volume down, up and mute again -> All worked
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X