Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q for all of you using wall mount tablets

Hi,

I've been using 3-4 tablets wall mount or desk standing around the house for around 1 year now. I've used Nexus 7 (2nd gen), ipad and now a zte 8" & Fire tablet 7", all of them had battery bulging issues (except ipad) and the ZTE is having screen burn in as well. I'm presently trying to take the battery out of the ZTE and run it directly on power, but do not know what to do about the screen burn in. Most of the tablets are used for 24x7 camera monitoring and since I recently jumped onto HS3, maybe with HSTouch as well, would be great if I could have just ran a MPEG/RTSP feed directly within HS screen,but I believe it can only do snapshots as of now. And my folks do not like the delay that is induced when we do screen change to camera app when motion is detected. The ipad was not showing camera feed, but was used for touch control similar to HStouch when I was had smartthings, surprisingly it has not bulged, or maybe it is now showing as it has a unimetal body.

Anyways, my Q is, what are your experiences with the same ? how are you guys doing it ? basically need to know how to overcome the two basic issues. Are there panels available for 24x7 op (not high end ones like RTI, needs to be cost effective).

Here currently utilize customized Intel Atom tabletops for touch screens. These are not battery powered rather POE powered, Gb, WiFi, Bluetooth and utilize glass touch screens. Been on 24/7 for years now with no burn in. These were originally made around 2009 by OpenPeak: O2 Joggler, OpenPeak 1 & 2. Telco and energy hubs. Avaya put these in 5 star hotels as they also include Zigbee and DECT chips.

My current crop of Leviton Omni Touch screens are the resistive types and well over 10 years now with no burn in.

Never had issues with my openframe multitouch monitors with PCs attached that were on 24 /7. They were 15" and greater wide screens.

Related to CCTV and Homeseer initially used JPG frame captures then externally running VLC then went to Zoneminder clients running autonomously from Homeseer Touch.

No batteries, no wifi ever used here for any touchscreens in the home. Preferred methodology of connection is now POE.

It is understood though that you can purchase any Android tablet these days for less than $50 USD and it does make for a cheap touchscreen.

Years ago one of my first large touchscreen computers was a Kodak photo Kiosk. It was large in size (width, length and depth) and worked perfectly for years with no burn in.

More recently tested a very thin multitouch wide screen monitor with a PiPoX7 and Kinect plugged in to it. Ran Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10 perfectly, HSTouch for Windows and Homeseer Speaker, Kodi, Zoneminder CCTV client all all once just fine.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by vbhoj74 View Post
      Hi,

I've been using 3-4 tablets wall mount or desk standing around the house for around 1 year now. I've used Nexus 7 (2nd gen), ipad and now a zte 8" & Fire tablet 7", all of them had battery bulging issues (except ipad) and the ZTE is having screen burn in as well. I'm presently trying to take the battery out of the ZTE and run it directly on power, but do not know what to do about the screen burn in. Most of the tablets are used for 24x7 camera monitoring and since I recently jumped onto HS3, maybe with HSTouch as well, would be great if I could have just ran a MPEG/RTSP feed directly within HS screen,but I believe it can only do snapshots as of now. And my folks do not like the delay that is induced when we do screen change to camera app when motion is detected. The ipad was not showing camera feed, but was used for touch control similar to HStouch when I was had smartthings, surprisingly it has not bulged, or maybe it is now showing as it has a unimetal body.

Anyways, my Q is, what are your experiences with the same ? how are you guys doing it ? basically need to know how to overcome the two basic issues. Are there panels available for 24x7 op (not high end ones like RTI, needs to be cost effective).

Note : You don't need a screen on all the time if you are not looking at it! Are you designing for industry? If not then read this : https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=191519

Eman.
      TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

I use tasker to run a shell script to enable and disable charging on the device, i let it run down to 20% routinely and recharge.

Also use tasker to allow the screen to sleep whenever a homeseer Virtual device is set to off.

This is when there has been no motion in the house for over 1 hour.

Any motion and the screens turn on

Comment

I've used Nexus 7 (2nd gen), ipad and now a zte 8" & Fire tablet 7", all of them had battery bulging issues (except ipad) and the ZTE is having screen burn in as well. t bulged, or maybe it is now showing as it has a unimetal body.

Anyways, my Q is, what are your experiences with the same ? how are you guys doing it ? basically need to know how to overcome the two basic issues.
          I have a Nexus 7 2nd gen that has been on the charger 24/7 for several years with no battery bulging. It's not wall mounted, though, so maybe heat plays a role. I've also started using Fire 8 and 10, but don't have long-term experience yet. I used a 2nd Gen iPAD for several years, but its WiFi reception was not as reliable as other options so I replaced it with the Fire 10. (The Fire tablets are not very expensive. Replacing them if they start to bulge may be a cost-effective solution.)
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Comment

@pete, thanks for the insight, your experience is quite aspiring, look forward to learn a lot more from you. I would love to plan and set client installs using wired Poe screens , but for me, I do not have wires at the screen positions, so it has to be wireless and cheap like a tablet.

@emam Jon's plugin is for windows only I guess, my hs3 is on Linux, I wud have loved to see that plugin working for me, for various other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisfraser05 View Post
                I use tasker to run a shell script to enable and disable charging on the device, i let it run down to 20% routinely and recharge.

Also use tasker to allow the screen to sleep whenever a homeseer Virtual device is set to off.

This is when there has been no motion in the house for over 1 hour.

Any motion and the screens turn on
                I think you need a unlocked android for the shell script ? I would love to know more on the same. It sure does give me a way to charge randomly without putting the charger to a relay. Would also like to know how do you use Tasker with hs3 device status.

Having said that, I would still wanna just keep the screen on 24x7, till there is a more simple and failsafe way of doing this.

Comment

The nexus for me was sitting on my desk, probably that battery drain is doing the trick for you. Moreover, I'm worried about safety issues, do not want the battery to blast and start a fire. I'll look out for tablets that can be used without batteries, or maybe simple hacks that turn a tab to battery less screens. Have seen a hack on YouTube, still experimenting with one.
                  Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  I have a Nexus 7 2nd gen that has been on the charger 24/7 for several years with no battery bulging. It's not wall mounted, though, so maybe heat plays a role. I've also started using Fire 8 and 10, but don't have long-term experience yet. I used a 2nd Gen iPAD for several years, but its WiFi reception was not as reliable as other options so I replaced it with the Fire 10. (The Fire tablets are not very expensive. Replacing them if they start to bulge may be a cost-effective solution.)
                  Ultimately maybe even I'll have to give away the thought is 24x7 screen on to save the burn in issues, the burn in happened only with the ZTE tabs. It also does save energy. But need to look for simple way of doing this.

Comment

Turns out that I had no screen burn in, the ZTE was looking like a burn in because of the battery bulge pushing out the screen in front. Once I took out the batteries it went away, and both the ZTE works without batteries.

Have not tried to take out the battery from the fire tab as it's not very old and the battery is in good shape, will experiment with it later maybe.

Comment

Ultimately maybe even I'll have to give away the thought is 24x7 screen on to save the burn in issues, the burn in happened only with the ZTE tabs. It also does save energy. But need to look for simple way of doing this.
                      I have been lucky with these two tablets. Running 24x7 since 12/2016 - they display continuous security video. No screen burn issue to report but every so often I find the Galaxy has restarted for whatever reason.

Galaxy Tab &
                      Dragon Touch X10 10.6 inch Octa Core CPU Android Tablet 16GB Storage Bluetooth Mini HDMI Tablet

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                        I have been lucky with these two tablets. Running 24x7 since 12/2016 - they display continuous security video. No screen burn issue to report but every so often I find the Galaxy has restarted for whatever reason.

Galaxy Tab &
                        Dragon Touch X10 10.6 inch Octa Core CPU Android Tablet 16GB Storage Bluetooth Mini HDMI Tablet

Monk, do you like the Dragon? Is the screen similar to the Galaxy in look and feel? I've tried cheap tablets and they are always... cheap..... I have an asus zen that is pretty good running, runs 24x7 with no intervention, I also have a 10" amazon but it has a lot of bloatware on it, causing memory problems.

Comment

@pete, thanks for the insight, your experience is quite aspiring, look forward to learn a lot more from you. I would love to plan and set client installs using wired Poe screens , but for me, I do not have wires at the screen positions, so it has to be wireless and cheap like a tablet.

@emam Jon's plugin is for windows only I guess, my hs3 is on Linux, I wud have loved to see that plugin working for me, for various other reasons.

No, I don't use Imperihome, else this is the post I referred you to : https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost.php?p=1329470&postcount=2

It runs on a Odroid C2 using PoE except for the screen which I plan to modify to use PoE or even leave it as it is.

I have also mentioned else where before on how you control an Android battery charging using MQTT or the Tasker plugin. A bit more work but the results are out of this world!

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
                            No, I don't use Imperihome, else this is the post I referred you to : https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...70&postcount=2

It runs on a Odroid C2 using PoE except for the screen which I plan to modify to use PoE or even leave it as it is.

I have also mentioned else where before on how you control an Android battery charging using MQTT or the Tasker plugin. A bit more work but the results are out of this world!

Eman.
                            I've seen that post, awesome looking screen, but a little out of budget solution for me. Also, I do not want to run MQTT or tasker, just want to keep things simple. But I wonder, maybe you need a rooted android to control the charging. Thanks for the insight tho.

Comment

I've seen that post, awesome looking screen, but a little out of budget solution for me. Also, I do not want to run MQTT or tasker, just want to keep things simple. But I wonder, maybe you need a rooted android to control the charging. Thanks for the insight tho.
                              Yes, true the Android of Odroid comes pre-rooted and you enable it the settings! How cool is that?! Just visit their site and see what's possible. There's also Mqtt server for Android and also Node.js for Android. It's really all up you. It's a fast moving world out there (IoT).

Eman.

Comment

Working...
                              X