X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Address Code

What does the Device Address code do?
    Attached Files

This a a hold-over from HS2. The address code is an X10 feature. HS2 was X10-centric, so it labeled devices in the format of an X10 House Code, Unit Code format. If you don't use X10, you probably have no need for it at all, though some plug-ins may populate it. It's vestigial, like the tail on a human or fingers on a bat.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Hmm, I see. But, why would a new z-wave device populate it?

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
        Hmm, I see. But, why would a new z-wave device populate it?
        Only the plug-in author can answer that question. My guess is that it's a 'feature' left over after the plug-in was ported from HS2.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          This a a hold-over from HS2. The address code is an X10 feature. HS2 was X10-centric, so it labeled devices in the format of an X10 House Code, Unit Code format. If you don't use X10, you probably have no need for it at all, though some plug-ins may populate it. It's vestigial, like the tail on a human or fingers on a bat.
          This code can be used to get a desired "sort order" on the Device Management Page.

BobSpen

Comment

This code can be used to get a desired "sort order" on the Device Management Page.
            Ohh Really?... How does that work? I still haven't nailed down a system of naming/sorting. It's a mess with a lot of multi-sensors. I almost think I need to figure out how to file all like sensors together somehow. But then, there's the high possibility I wouldn't like that and have to revert everything. I think i've spent more time re-arranging devices than anything else.

Comment

The code is just an extension of the address. The full address seen by Homeseer is <address>-<code>. Therefore it seems sensible to use this capability with Z-Wave. The network ID is used for the address and the code can be incremented as z-wave devices are included.
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
                Ohh Really?... How does that work? I still haven't nailed down a system of naming/sorting. It's a mess with a lot of multi-sensors. I almost think I need to figure out how to file all like sensors together somehow. But then, there's the high possibility I wouldn't like that and have to revert everything. I think i've spent more time re-arranging devices than anything else.
                I use this method to sort my Virtual, X10-rf, and Oregon Scientific devices. For Z-wave it's a bit more problematic since the "code" is added to the end of the "address" string.

Comment

So . . can I change these codes to anything I want (from the drop downs) as long as I don't duplicate them? If so that would really help with sorting my devices.

Thank you

Comment

Believe so. I think there's even a function when you're assigning to show unused codes.
                    Regards,
                    Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

Comment

mmm, I will give that a try on a few of the older dimmers I have before I put the WD200+ units in to replace them and post back what happens. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X