Amazon Fire 8" with New charging dock on sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Fire 8" with New charging dock on sales

These charging docks just came out... got one last week and works pretty well. mixed reviews if you are trying to create an Amazon "Show" device, but if you are running your HA software on it, works great and this deal is a steal for both:

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Tablet-A...CH0YT6X1EK4J4F

Question before purchasing the Dock for existing Fire tablets.

Did you have to do anything special to get around the 'Show Mode' when putting tablet on Dock?

Or does HSTouch magically stay up on the screen?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by spike5884 View Post
      Question before purchasing the Dock for existing Fire tablets.

Did you have to do anything special to get around the 'Show Mode' when putting tablet on Dock?

Or does HSTouch magically stay up on the screen?

Thanks.
      I use Imperihome, so YMMV. but, for show mode, there is a switch added in settings at install that allows you to turn it off. I played with it a bit to see if I could have it as a screen savor, then when you touch, go to Imperihome, but that didn't work. Just turned it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
        These charging docks just came out... got one last week and works pretty well. mixed reviews if you are trying to create an Amazon "Show" device, but if you are running your HA software on it, works great and this deal is a steal for both:

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Tablet-A...CH0YT6X1EK4J4F
        I see these will be on sale for Black Friday. The show mode charging dock is just that, a charging dock? It doesn't affect the operation of the tablet? I haven't yet shopped for charging docks--is the $35 extra a decent deal?

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post

I see these will be on sale for Black Friday. The show mode charging dock is just that, a charging dock? It doesn't affect the operation of the tablet? I haven't yet shopped for charging docks--is the $35 extra a decent deal?
          See above. you can use it in show mode, so it displays differently when docked. but you can turn this off, so it acts just like a normal tablet. I think it's a decent price - the issue is if you are getting what you need from a Fire tablet. they work pretty well... but can be a tad slow at times if you want to load up and run more apps.

Note that you have to have a 7th gen (I think) fire tablet for this to work. I had a 6th gen, and the USB port was a few mm off and wouldn't work with the dock.

Comment

I purchased one several weeks ago and works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post

See above. you can use it in show mode, so it displays differently when docked. but you can turn this off, so it acts just like a normal tablet. I think it's a decent price - the issue is if you are getting what you need from a Fire tablet. they work pretty well... but can be a tad slow at times if you want to load up and run more apps.

Note that you have to have a 7th gen (I think) fire tablet for this to work. I had a 6th gen, and the USB port was a few mm off and wouldn't work with the dock.
              Originally posted by ralnet View Post
              I purchased one several weeks ago and works perfectly.
              I am looking to use this tablet strictly for HSTouch, and hopefully to display camera video when motion is detected. Does it work well for these applications?

Comment

You cant use it in landscape mode for HS Touch if that helps.

Comment

I find the sound level far too low to be usable. I can hardly hear it in my kitchen. I would need a external speaker

Comment

You cant use it in landscape mode for HS Touch if that helps.
                    Seriously? To me, that would made it pretty much unusable as a wall mounted HST tablet. It would look odd having a portrait mounted tablet on the wall. Also, how does the dock work with a tablet running HST? From the pictures, it looks like the dock is meant to be used with the tablet in landscape orientation. What are you using your Fire tablet for?

Comment

I use several 10" fire tablets, work great in landscape mode.
                      John

Comment

I am talking about the fire kindle 8 7th gen. I bought the new stand as I use it mostly for ring and cameras

Comment

Originally posted by lj502 View Post
                          I use several 10" fire tablets, work great in landscape mode.
                          John
                          So am I safe to assume that both of the latest Fire Tablets (8" and 10") can run HST in landscape mode? You use yours mainly for HST? As I mentioned above, I would like to use it for HST with the ability to switch to viewing IP cameras when motion is detected.

I am talking about the fire kindle 8 7th gen. I bought the new stand as I use it mostly for ring and cameras
                          What is it that prevents the older tablets from running HST in landscape mode? The HS Designer, the hardware, or what?

Comment

Have a Fire HD 10 mounted in a wall frame in portrait mode for HST. I have a Fire HD 8 in a dock landscape mode for Ring and another camera program. Neither will run HST in landscape mode and it would not look good anyways in landscape mode.

Comment

Do these have ads? I bought two Fire's last Black Friday and they have ads on the screen when you turn it on.

Comment

Working...
                              X