No announcement yet.

HS3 Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more I learn about HS3, the more it sounds like it will be a huge task for me to upgrade. I have hundreds of scripts, events, and other custom stuff that I have created over the years. Until I find out what new features and capabilities are provided by HS3, I will stay with my current version of HS2. I am very satisfied with what I have now.

It's kinda like Windows XP! I guess we will be forced to update at some point!

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Consistent with some of the other comments here, I voted "will not be upgrading". I very well may upgrade at some future point, but after the HS-to-HS2 upgrade I'm not particularly interested in having that experience again. Any "one time good deal" that HST may offer is simply not worth it. If I do upgrade, I'll pay extra way later knowing that it is somewhat stable.

Steve

Comment

I initially went from activehome to ocelot and then HS1. It was more hobby then "house infrastructure" at that time. The HS2 upgrade wasn't too bad for me then because I hadn't moved much from the ocelot to HS. Now, I have a server that I count on 24x7, lots of HS functionality... and there are things that the family counts on... its less hobby and more house.

Ideally there should be a closed alpha and closed beta approach for HS3 with specific, selected users; a classic software product development cycle. I know that would take additional time, but the recent series of 2.5.0.xx Testing threads does not inspire confidence that I should make that leap to HS3 any time soon. I can see that time being hairy for Zwave users, both HS2 and HS3 will constantly need upgrading for new devices. It will be a great opportunity for brand new HS users, but not me.

I am reversing the earlier trend of moving things to HS and pushing as much functionality away from the server and into other HA technology as possible, much more distributed. I'm also not budging from 2.5.0.23
        Paul

Comment

since I still have my house in sleep mode.. I wouldnt mind upgrading immediately.. and also thinking of hometroller or whatever it will be called.. "HS in a Can" or whatever...

Tax return will be coming in the next few months and so will a bonus.. so for me to upgrade it would have to be by April (hint hint HS).... cuz when the wife gets the cash.. i have somewhat a say.. but once it sits there long enough it gets gobbled up for other things...
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
            It is going to take a lot of my time to update all of my plugins and I am afraid it will not be free. I plan to charge a one time upgrade fee that would include all plugin updates. It will not be expensive but I do have to get something for the amount of time I am going to have to spend updating them. Hope everyone understands.
            Seems fair to me
            HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
            53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
            https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
              Tax return will be coming in the next few months and so will a bonus.. so for me to upgrade it would have to be by April (hint hint HS).... cuz when the wife gets the cash.. i have somewhat a say.. but once it sits there long enough it gets gobbled up for other things...
              glad someone else has this problem too.
              HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
              53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
              https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

I am undecided about upgrading to V3.

I can remember when V1 ran for months on end without a problem, then came along V2 which could do alot more but has always had problems with all versions.

So as said, unsure if I really wish to go through the teathing problems of V3.
                sigpic
                A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Here I will try HS3 if it allows me to utilize what I am using today with HS2.

If it doesn't then its not worth my efforts any more.

I am older these days and grumpy and have little patience for stuff these days.

The above noted I did have a stable running HS2 in the early days of HS2.

It did run for months without any interaction.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I love to live on the "Bleeding Edge" but will require a few plug-ins that my family depends on.. BLDSC is the biggest, Ultra for the GC-100 will be the other. Jon00's Bluetooth Prox and Perf.Process monitors will quickly follow
                    Last edited by gearyt; March 4, 2013, 02:05 PM.
                    Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Deciding to try homeseer

Sorry to hijack this thread but i a looking to buy a automation system in the next month( tax return like those above) but I am afraid of two things. If I buy the current version will I have to dole out another 500 in a month for v3 or will hs take care of those who just bought? Also after reading the what I can find on here for v3 it seem to have been in beta since 2011- does the company have its act together or will I be buying into a dying horse here? Last thing after looking at the sites and videos I don't see much on video switching is the product solid on this aspect of automation? I want to run home seer but the big ? Is when and if the update will happen. Trying to figure out equip, mainly audio zone controllers and vid matrixs and i don't see much support here for niles or the current mca-5 from russound. Sorry for the rambling but I am close to saying screw it and writing a check to the control4 guy when he comes to quote me on 3.20.13. Thanks to anyone taking the time to answer my ramblings as this is a last ditch effort to get answers since the hs team does not respond to emails. Let me know if this should have been posted elsewhere.

Steve

Comment

Will not upgrade anytime soon. We depend on the system too much to operate the shelter and I don't expect the plugin functionality to be available for quite some time after HS3 is released.

Like several others have stated, there's not been enough "marketing" information forthcoming to justify an upgrade. Sometimes it feels like they decided to build HS3 because they were tired of fighting all of the HS2 battles. Unfortunately in the interim, they made HS2 fairly stable

I don't begrudge them trying to stay in business as well as competitive (I think the "new" HA market (which I don't consider the majority of the current HS2 users to be) is just on the edge of an explosion, so staying in as a player isn't going to fly with HS2), but I don't see the justification at this time, and the perceived pain of upgrading looks pretty large.

That said, if HS3 sails past 1-2 updates, and the primary plugins are available, I suspect the majority of HS2 will change their minds

Z

Comment

Evaluate HS2 for your needs today and if it is the best value then buy it.

There is considerable difference under the hood for HS3 and more pizzaz on the UI, but when it comes down to what you are really doing with respect to providing automation to some aspect of your home then there is little difference between HS2 and HS3.

HST has always been very fair with the existing customers and I expect this to continue to make it easy to move to HS3. It is in their interest to maximize the transition to HS3 as soon as possible to get this product mature as quickly as possible. Supporting both HS2 and HS3 just drains their resources.

There is considerable work being poured into HS3 and the 3rd party plugin community is very active at making certain it is ready before it hits the general user population. This feedback cycle has changed HS3 design and it will be a better product with minimum HS2 to HS3 transistion pain when it does get released.

Comment

Working...
                          X