log to hstouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

log to hstouch

I have several voice announcements for various things and if I am not paying attention when it is voiced, I end up going "wtf did she just say"? So I was thinking does anyone know of anyway to capture the text from the voice announcements, and put them into a log (I say log cause I don't know what else to call it) that could be displayed on hstouch. That way anytime I didn't catch what was said I could just look at a log. any ideas?

In Setup, under Log Settings. You can tell HS to log TTS messages. Does checking that box do what you want?
    Attached Files
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      In Setup, under Log Settings. You can tell HS to log TTS messages. Does checking that box do what you want?

I already have that, but mike how do I get that into hstouch then? I don't really want to build a vitual device for each voice announcement..... I was looking for a way to put the text from the voice announcement into hstouch...

Comment

You could probably take the "Phone Recent Calls" script from this post:
        https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...1&postcount=60
        and modify it to hold the last few speech items. Only problem is you would have to modify all your speech events to add a call to the new script to store what was spoken. It looks like a lot of work, but it looks like it's possible.
        Fred

HomeSeer Pro 3.0.0.548, HS3Touch, Zwave 3.0.1.252, Envisalink DSC 3.0.0.40, WeatherXML, Z-stick, HS phone, Way2Call

Comment

Originally posted by wadesready View Post
          I already have that, but mike how do I get that into hstouch then? I don't really want to build a vitual device for each voice announcement..... I was looking for a way to put the text from the voice announcement into hstouch...
          If you want only the last announcement, then adding a device action to each speech event that you want to capture that replicates the text in a virtual device string could work. That way you'd need just one device, and it would display the text of the most recent announcement.

From a different perspective, though, you might also take a look at your announcement strategy more broadly. Two thoughts come to mind.
          - Are you trying to convey too much information orally? Maybe some of your announcements should be in the form of text messages.
          - Are you taking full advantage of the power of sound? One trick I use is to precede most text announcements with a sequence of tones. The sound differs depending on the type of information. That does three things. First, the tone gets my attention, so I can start listening before there is new information spoken. Second, the tone conveys the category of information that is about to be conveyed, so I am mentally ready with context. Third, because the category of info is already clear, the spoken part can be quite short, providing only the specifics. That makes it easy to add a repeat of that part if it's something that I tend to miss without repetition.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

There's also this. (Jon just posted it in another thread.)

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
              There's also this. (Jon just posted it in another thread.)

Thanks for your input and responses!!! The value of this board and people like you make hs3 awesome.

Comment

Working...
              X