newbie asking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie asking

I a newbie at this so baer with me,where can I buy a AB8ss cheap?
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

http://www.hacs.com/ab8ss.php
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

when you purchase the AB8SS, I believe it comes with some software, I would like to ask, do you have to use this software in conjunction with the plugin to make it work?

also, I believe that with the unit, you get a remote (IR) . My question is, how is everybody using the remote if you have the receiver in the computer room? What is everybody using to switch manually?
      Hector
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Hector,
        I did not get any software w/ the ab8ss, just using plugin to control it via rs232. I got the remote, but do not use it. there are numerous plugins/script packages available for the ab8s. some are free, others are available to purchase but not supported, others are available for purchase and are supported quite well.

I would also encourage you to consider purchasing the ESS instead of ab8ss. ESS is modular, meaning you buy one module for each speaker (or speaker pair) you want to control. This way you are not limited to 8 as with the ab8ss. It also has TONS more features, depending on which setup you go with on the ess. For instance, you can have two seperate amplified inputs (say a computer and a stereo receiver). In room A you can be listening to mp3s from the computer, in room B you can be listening to the radio on the receiver, all at the same time. I also really like the volume control option of the ess, because of room size, listening circumstances, etc, the volume is rarely going to be the same for each room all the time, and I didn't install volume control switches in my rooms, because i didn't want people turning speakers down/off and missing homeseer TTS announcements.

There is current talk of a free plugin being developed for the ess, you can see it on this board. I do know that the ess is more expensive than the ab8ss. to get the setup that i described above for 8 "zones" would cost about $500.00, i think. compared to $120 for an ab8ss, i think. The neat thing is if you don't need all 8 zones, you can bring that price down, or do like i plan on doing and set it up little by little, as I am able to save $.

anyway, long answer, i know. hope it helps.
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

By no means, was it a long answer, actually it cleared alot of question. I currently dont have alot of zones to cover, but I would like to have the flexibility to grow. You mention something about the volume, on the ess is there a volume control for each output on the module? Could the current plugin work with the ESS? Is the AB8ss expandable?

thanks anticipated

Hector
          Hector
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

ESS = flexibility to grow, ab8ss does not (ab8ss is not expandable)
            ESS = volume control for each zone/module, ab8ss does not

ab8ss plugin does NOT work with ESS, though James appears to be willing to put one together soon.

Let me know before you purchase ESS (if that is what you decide to do), it has a lot of custom configuration options at the website, purchasing the right equipment can be confusing. I'd be glad to help you with that.
            Plugins:
            BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

thanks guy

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
              ESS = flexibility to grow, ab8ss does not (ab8ss is not expandable)
              ESS = volume control for each zone/module, ab8ss does not

ab8ss plugin does NOT work with ESS, though James appears to be willing to put one together soon.

Let me know before you purchase ESS (if that is what you decide to do), it has a lot of custom configuration options at the website, purchasing the right equipment can be confusing. I'd be glad to help you with that.
              I will really need your help. I just visited there site and it seems that the volume control is seperate from the individual modules it self. Meanning that for each output module I will need a volume control (meanning more$$) . Well at least that what I could inderstand ( with my sort words in english). You really thing that going with the ESS way is better then the AB8SS? By the way how do you manually control your AB8SS?
              Hector
              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I am currently controlling my ab8ss with the WAF-Ab8ss plugin. David Kindred wrote it, he is no longer with us on the board, and it is not supported or updated any more by him.

For me personally the ESS is way better than the AB8ss. The ESS only recently became available, or i would have purchased it instead of the ab8ss 2 years ago.

I can't say if the ab8ss or ESS would be better for you. The two things that make ESS way better for me are the ability of HS to control the volume of each zone and the ability to play different sources in different zones at the same time. If neither one of those things are important to you, you may be better off going with the ab8ss.

You are correct about the modules. Each module is for a different speaker zone. You need to purchase the master controller and then one module for each zone. So for me i will be purchasing the ESS1, with ESS7 module for each zone I want (eventually 17 zones...big $!!!!)

Do you have a stereo receiver/amplifier you are using? Do you already have speakers installed? How many zones?
                Plugins:

Comment

Actually I do not have a stereo/amp. what I really wanted to do is lay the foundations for the stereo/amp. I would like to have the music within HS but, I heard so much story of HS slowing down that Iam holding on that abit what is your experience?. I currently have speakers in my L.room, M.bedroom and my family room. I still have two more room that I would like to cover. by the way, What kind of speaker are you using?

I would like to have the ability to have music and the TTS anoucement. Lets say, If Iam hearing music and if HS has to say something, I would like it to lower the vol. of the music, let HS say what it has to say, then return to its normal vol. Are currently doing this in your setup?

Now that you now what I would like can you tell me exactly what I need in terms of hardware. Iam also concern about the plugin, do you known when will the plug for ESS be available?
                  Hector
                  AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

These are the speakers I use:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-402

They aren't super high quality, but man, for $22 per speaker, I am very pleased with them. I've never had anyone say, wow, those don't sound very good." In fact, I have gotten many, many compliments on how good they sound. They install very easily as well.

So you prefer to have HomeSeer control volume instead of having a physical volume switch at each speaker location? That's the way I set my system up, and when I get ESS I will finally have it accomplished! I installed upb switches with the programmable push buttons at each speaker location as well. the buttons will be able to control volume once I do the ESS (it will do it through HomeSeer, so we will be able to control the volume, but ultimately HS has control).

I have HomeSeer play music off my HS computer. I have never had many performance issues. I run a 2.4 ghz p4 with 2gb ram. In addition to the mp3s my HS computer also handles all incoming phone calls hvac, infared distribution, security system, and several other things I can't think of at the moment...I've never had any performance issues.

I did have a p3 800mhz...that was a different story!

Yes, the way you described the music and TTS working is definitely possible. similar to the way i plan on doing mine. I can't say specifically how it would work, because the plugin for the ess isn't developed yet. You can follow it here:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...583#post818583
                    Plugins:

Comment

What are you using for your music? Itunes? Ian can you tell me with what shoulld I start off with.(in terms of harware)?
                      Hector
                      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

MP3 collection on 750 gb hard drive, using the media player plugin. quite pleased with it. I have no exposure to itunes plugin, so I wouldn't know about that.

as far as hardware, those speakers are good enough for me. You'll need some sort of an amplifier. I'd recommend a receiver kind, that can switch inputs, has built in radio tuner, etc. If you want to have two zones going at once (different zones playing different stuff, ie, mp3s in room A, cd player in room B), you'll need either a second receiver or a receiver w/ multiroom capability. I'd be glad to point you to some links of stuff I'd recommend, but i don't know where you do your shopping, being in peurto rico and all. I use a harman kardon avr325, VERY pleased with it. it does multiroom and all.

You can also pick up a functional receiver at a local goodwill or wallmart for next to nothing, if you want to go that route.

as far as the ESS stuff, I personally would wait until the plugin is at least developing, in stead of just being talked about being developed. i plan on watching that thread as i imagine James will be working on it soon.
                        Plugins:

Comment

thanks for your input guy, you been very helpful. please keep in touch...
                          Hector
                          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Where can I find the E55 ?

can anyone post their web address.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
                              Where can I find the E55 ?

can anyone post their web address.
                              It is no longer being made, the company went out of business
                              Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

Working...
                              X